Speaker Height?

I was at Bikeweek in Daytona yesterday and stopped at Julians restaurant and noticed some big speakers hanging on the wall. I inquired about them and was told that they were UPL's. Well curiosity got the best of me and I had to go look at them. JBL looks a little like UBL. Anyway these appeared to be really old JBL's that were mounted in the corner with the bottom of the speaker about 6 foot off the floor. They were bigger than Heresys but much smaller than Cornwalls. What are the benifits of having a speaker mounted that high on a wall? BTW they sounded pretty good.

It makes a lot of sense. As others have pointed out, it is necessary to get a direct path between the speaker and the listener's ears in the mid and treble.

Obviously bars get filled up with people. The owners and patron like the floor space in any event.

I don't know if the bass suffers. The ceiling is pretty much as good as the floor for bass boost.

The final issue may be to put the speakers someplace where people can't put beer glasses on them. A common problem at home.

Gil

A watering hole I frequent has two LaScalas mounted up in the corners formed by the walls & ceiling, and angled down slightly.

Boom, may I suggest that you suggest that they flip the LaScalas upside down.

This would enable the LSs to better couple and benefit from the room gain - as the way they are oriented will result in a loss of well-behaved LF coupling at >=72 Hz, compared to raising it to an improved >=153 Hz.

Like I flipped the Forte's on top of SWMBO's Klipschorns that I stole for the man cave until the other K'horns are done, so she can have the other ones back and then I can sell the man cave ones and put that money in the bank for the Jubilees which are supposed to be what's in the man cave.....?

I must be tired, Marshall, because I actually followed that pretty well.