T amps still for sale ?

dtel

I believe the Cossatot Snail Darter is protected from all MuZak related sounds. If you read the EPA's regulations, you will find that only organic tube equipment is to be used within 1000 yards of the Cossatot corridor in order to protect the secondary harmonics of this endangered species. That's all I'm sayin....

Dave,

I've been wondering about the Tio card, too. Hope to see your comments posted when you get it.

One thing though, I found the info on the SI site to be ambiguous on the power rating. I also thought they were suggesting 30wpc, but later ran across a pdf of the Tio card on the Tripath site and it listed the spec's differently: 10wpc into 8 ohms and 15wpc into 4 ohms. So I think it is the same rating as the other T-amps. Even so, a very sweet, convenient and creative application of the chip amp IMO.

One thing I'm especially curious about, and haven't seen documentation online is for the customizeable EQ on the card. No other T-amp lists this feature!

post-11993-13819366269474_thumb.jpg

I'm sure you are right about the power, DD. It's more than enough for my intended use.

Why someone hasn't taken 3 of these, put them in a mini-PC with a TV card, added a power sub and 5 speakers for the ultimate small, green, audiophile HTPC/music server is beyond me...

Just may do it myself.

Dave

Dave,

I've been wondering why the Tio hasn't caught on. I can only guess it's because so many folks are using laptops in place of desktops.

But, speaking of laptop use, If it's powered by 5v power internally, I don't know why it couldn't be powered from a USB connection. Same 5v right?

I've been terribly curious to try out one of the little guys.

• Moderators

dtel,

What are the speakers you are thinking of for your outdoor project?

The T-amp will put out a fair amount of sound with Heresy.

Sorry Dee was MIA for a while.

Well I was thinking of some very slightly modified LaScalas, l was hoping it would power them. I would think it would after reading G Kennedy's trip to the desert.

They are only slightly modified to take a 15" K43 bass .................it shouldn't matter what cabinet the K43 is in.....I hope. And if the little t amp don't work, I will just have to plug in something else.

Ok, I can't lie to you Dee it's Bob's tweeters, k401- k55v mid range in a homemade box shaped like a split LaScala with AA crossovers. Two pairs of terminal connections on the back of the HF cabinet one to the crossover and one out to a single MWM-k43 bass bin for each channel.

It's like a LaScala with a big butt, Hope it work's ?

I was painting the MWM cabinets outside today, inside and out. It took 1.5 gallons of exterior semi gloss black to put 3 coats on both cabinets, and the two top cabinets. That's alot of area to cover, even with a roller and a brush for the corners and tight spots.

I put handles on all 4 of the cabinets to make it easier to handle and for the 2 bass bins I made a frame from 2x4's with rollers on them to wheel around the mwm's in the workshop.

dtel ... Have you ordered the T-amp??

Another option ... although twice the cost + .. but maybe a bit more quality is the Trends 10.1. Same chip ... still 12v ... it is more like the Super T amp ... nicer RCA's, better input caps.

Check it out. It says 15w out put .. but that is at high distortion numbers .. expect the same wattage as Sonic impact.

http://www.trendsaudio.com/EN/Product/TA-10_desc.htm

I think they are $140.

Are they better ??? Who knows .... I feel Sonic Impact made a toy (1st gen SI T-amp) that by chance worked well ... then upgraded components to be able to sell the SuperT at a higher price.

I think Trends had better quality in mind from the original build. Better caps ..... their boad uses axial lead input caps that acually has extra holes in the board incase you want to try a cap that has a physically larger size.

Trends also has a terminal that can have a jumper, which runs it as a power amp, eliminating the volume control, for use with a preamp.

Does it sound better ??? I don't know ...but if I lost the two modded SI T-amp that I have .... I would probably get a Trends and run it stock.