T amps still for sale ?

dtel

Yes, Dean's right, the Super T is no longer available. I've been curious, but have not been able to find out if the Gen2 T-amp is built with the attention to good sound as the Super T was, thus a replacement for the SuperT. I think Sonic Impact describs the Gen2 preamp as continuing the same great sound of the T-amp. this statement does not inspire confidence. Most of the SI offerings look like cheap ipod accessories for teeny boppers. I've wondered if they've given up all together the moderately serious business of producing hifi quality products like the superT.

I've done several google searches trying to find someone, anywhere, who has posted a comparison of the Gen2 T-amp to the Super T-amp and have not found one yet.

I do have a friend who is planning to scarf up one of the $50 Gen2 T-amps. When he does I want to get under the hood to compare the boards side by side. I think he may have read that it's the same card as the Super-T. If so, the Gen2 preamp is a bargain.

One other product SI has that would be fun is the TIO board. It's a T-amp designed on an internal pc card to serve as a power amp for the sound card. It attaches to the case with the other cards, but does not actually connect to the mother board in a card slot. It's a pretty nifty little guy.

I understand that Tripath has been in bankruptcy. Don't know what to expect about their future.

It's nice that the Gen2 has a headphone out, but I cannot find any info on what headphones might work with it. I had explored the idea of using headphones with my TEAC T amp, but was told that tying the grounds together (left and right, as is done with most headphones w/ a stereo mini plug) would ruin the amp. I wonder what they've done, circuit-wise, to make headphone use safe?

I hadn't noticed that before about the Gen2 supporting headphones. It would be interesting to know how they got around the issue of a common ground.

Gregg,

Too bad they won't run your high impedance headphones. They might sound OK, though. Maybe not quite as loud. Would be nice if it was enough oomph to run your headphones, though.

Saw quite a few opinions on that site. This one certainly caught my eye.

stars50.gifJawdropping performance-The Dynaco of 2007
Saturday, December 15, 2007
Jim from Hammond, IN.

I've owned various hi-end audiophile amps,collected equipment for 35 years. Sworn by tubes until this little baby ! The detail, accurate timbre & ability to track dynamics is superb. Very musical, warm sound yet extremely detailed. After owning very heavy stereo equipment with many tubes to maintain & listening/seeing this little wonder, it makes me shake my head & feel a little foolish. It is limited in power, but for small efficient mini monitors it is a very fine amplifier, regardless of price or aethetics.
While I've not heard it yet, I suspect there is a good chance I'd be with this guy. I've no prejudice about price/performance and see no reason why this might not be true. I am CERTAIN that it will be worth 50.00, and if I like it I'll get a couple of more and set up systems for my kids using my spare (highly efficient) Frazier speakers.
Dave

Arky,

Thanks. Yeh, actually it's the Super T that I do have.

Have you put it in service in your system? What did you think of the sound?

dtel,

One more thought, I'm guessing that PE is closing them out. But they aren't calling any attention to it.

• Moderators

Arky,

Thanks. Yeh, actually it's the Super T that I do have.

Have you put it in service in your system? What did you think of the sound?

dtel,

One more thought, I'm guessing that PE is closing them out. But they aren't calling any attention to it.

You could be right Dee, they may be closing them out. I had looked because I had thought about trying one for some outdoor speakers to make it portable after seeing the LaScala's in the desert from G Kennedy. I am just not sure of the volume possable before distortion, but I would guess even 3 or 4 watts would be a decent volume ?

I use the original T-amp with some modifications ... but I think the chip and board are the same .... I just add proper RCA's and much larger caps on the input for bass extension. Basically making it a Super T.

With the La Scalas, out doors ... you can get very respectable sound levels out of a T-amp. In modified form, I can run an iPod at full voume and the T-amp at 3/4 volume with no distortion.

It will even run the KP201's to a decent volume ... although ... I can get these to clip ... looking for a bit more volume.... I never got the La Scalas to clip.

I run mine off dry cell 12v batteries ... I have read on the web ... you can optimise the volume output by running off a 13v/ 3amp power supply ... but that would require having AC ... which does not work for me.

dtel .... If you want to test a T-amp ... I have two .... I would be happy to ship one to you to try. Although if they are closing them out ... time may be short.

Outdoors was mentioned. In my case, when I visit my little piece of heaven on the Cossatot River in AR, this amp will be the ideal. I usually take the 360 degree Lyneum equiped RS LS-5's for their wide image. I am not interested in big volume and one of these will do the job nicely with almost no weight or power requirements.

The right tool is the best tool...

Dave

Nope, works good with 8 AAs though. I used a T-amp, a discman and a pair of Polk Audio bookshelf speakers for a sound setup in a small auditorium at the local library for an event my wife was holding. It was funny, several guys couldn't believe there was no 110 cord plugged in anywhere. I was thinking "I shoulda brought the LS....." Dang.

Good grief. I order one of the 50.00 ones a few minutes ago from Parts Express for the reasons mentioned in my earlier post. Just from curiosity I followed the link to the SI site to take a look at Gen 2. That's when I saw the Tio board. Ordered one immediately.

This is the thing I predicted about a year ago when the first of the new digital amps showed up and were all the rage. Amp on a PCI card. If it were coupled with a first class sound card in one piece it would be the perfect all in one solution. However, I have plenty of first class soundcards. This little puppy will allow me use one of my second tier PC's as a free standing complete high end second system. 30w/4ohmsX2 is PLENTY of power for Frazier speakers of which I have a closet full.

I can't wait! What fun!

Dave