new avr and new klipsch owner has a few questions?

draynes

So I finally bought RF-7 and RC-7 and rs for a 5 channel system. Got them from Pyro in great condition. I drove from NC to Baltimore and back in one day. Then went to work as soon as I got home. I am looking into the Marantz sr7001 to power them. I can get this Avr 599 + shipping I think that is a good price, if any one know how to get one for less please let me know. 50/50 listening. I was wondering since I only have a 5 channel setup now. Can I use the extra channels to bi amp the RF-7's? If so would this mess with the processing in any way. Also to improve sound of the RF-7's would spikes help on carpet? Maybe some kind of acoustic panel behind and to the side of the RF-7's? If there any other suggestions for a avr in this price range that has a laid back/ neutral sound let me know. There are so many knowledgeable people here why would I waste time any were else. thanks for any help you guys and gals can answer. A side question. If I buy any 7.1 avr will it affect anything since I am running 5.1? What version of hdmi does a ps3 use? Thanks in advance

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that is a good idea. I should add that in to the features search.

Suggestions about what receiver can route rear channel to be able to bi amp the fronts? I know that the RF-7's love more power. So what not get one that has that feature. When I do get into a bigger house and go to 7.1 I will just add a pro amp for the RF-7's. Keep ideas coming I have so much to learn. I know I have a disease called "upgrade its". I only wish I could win the lottery and buy ever thing with out compromising. But that probably won't happen so forced to pick and choose were the almighty dollar goes to.

I have the same disease you do. I spent a month comparing receivers and I ended up with an Onkyo tx-sr805. Plenty of power and Dolby HD, DTS HD, THX UltraII certified. You can also biamp the fronts but I am not sure you will gain anything. You might be able to find an 805 in your price range but if not checkout the 705 or 605.

onkyo is on my list among the usual suspects. There are so many out there and it is hard to make any kind of decision. I can't go any were to compare. Basically that is a waste of time way to many variables. So I just look to see who is happy with what they and make my choice. I know that is technically wrong. But what can I do go to best buy or circuit city, I don't think so that would just be a waste of time. I would have a better chance of asking everyone one on this forum were they live and try going to their house to listen to see if I like their setup. What can be gained from bi amping the fronts? What is the correct way to bi amp?

My Yamaha htr-6090 has the ability to bi-amp using the rear surrounds. I don't know if it makes a difference or not I have never tried it.

I have heard people say it's not worth the time, but I never trust everything I read on a forum. As far as I know biamping just gives you more available power(headroom). Those rf-7s are NICE. As far as using 5.1 on a 7.1 setup, your receiver should have an option when you set it up to have no rear surrounds. It basically turns off those outputs. Unless of course you are using them to bi-amp.

So then bi amping would push more power to the left and right speakers? I want to get the most out of the avr. I am going to change my listing to 75% music in 2 channel and 25% movies. Does any one know if the compressed media expanders available on some avr's help the sound allot? I like to listen to music of www.pandora.com. It is awesome but does not quite sound as good as a CD.

• Moderators

Why wouldn't you let your player do the decoding?

I found out the hard way that if you want your player to do the decoding, it must have Multi-channel outputs and the receiver must have Multi-channel inputs. Otherwise, you cannot let the player send the decoded signal via Digital Coax or Toslink if the receiver does not have a decoder.

So if I wanted to use the PS3 I would need a receiver that can decode DTS-HD 7.1 Ch. But according to the Sony website the PS3 does not output DTS-HD 7.1 Ch. Or maybe I am just reading it wrong. Audio output on the PLAY STATION®3 system
The supported channels may vary depending on the output connector used.
NOTES:

1. Audio from a Super Audio CD cannot be output from the digital out (optical) connector. Multi-channel content from Super Audio Cd's can only be output from the HDMI OUT connector.
  2. A device compatible with Linear PCM 7.1 Ch. is required to output 7.1 Ch. audio from the HDMI OUT connector.
  3. This system does not support output from the DTS-HD 7.1 Ch. DTS-HD 7.1Ch audio is output from a 5.1 or lower channel

All though it would be nice to put all of my MP3 on the PS3. But I think I will end up getting a blue ray player. Unless the ps3 gets updated to allow the DTS-HD decoding. It makes no sense to me why Sony would do this. I guess just to sell more players. Why can't all of this just play happily together.

Well your saying that uncompressed will sound better that Dolby digital. I have no idea about the difference, but I would guess thats right. How do you have the Blue Ray connected to the Receiver? Side question. Is OK to connect the HDMI to the TV and run the audio into the receiver?