One more time, with FEELING...

Mallette

It appears I've worked out the ftp issues. I need to clean up some space, so I am posting one more time for anyone wishing to download the recording samples for critique or whatever. You can burn them to CD or play through PC or DAC.

ftp.mallette.org This should not require anything more than a browser and drag and drop. I will delete these files in a few days. Ignore "player.html" unless you need training on the Varco ST-80 torque wrench. [:D]

Regards,

Dave

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did it work for you, Seti?

I'll be pulling 150mb or so of this off by the weekend, so get it now. Wish I had more space on the server, but I don't and if I get close to the limit my log files will get fried and I'll be back where I was with nobody able to access.

Dave

Dave, you have absolutely astonished me with those recordings. It is to the point where it scares me a bit to listen to them.

I downloaded the tracks and I am now listening to the Mozart woodwind music (I am not sure which piece this is). There is a realism that is stunning.

As you know, many recordings of woodwinds and to some extent brass fail to capture some of the "breathiness" and "richness" and "intimate" qualities of the instrument's tone (please forgive my choice of words - but I think it communicates the qualities).

It is present when you listen to live music and you have captured this. Bravo and congratulations. I will listen more, and comment more, when I get a chance to do some careful listening tonight on my Martin-Logans.

Thank you very much for making these available.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Tom:

Thanks for the kind words. What you describe is why I began research into recording in the first place. When I started, I did so because I had heard so many poor recordings, especially digital.

It backfired. I now understand less about why there are so many poor recordings. It's so simple.

1. Use ribbon mikes with a coincedent placement, rear lobes positioned to either enhance the space, or minimize it if it stinks.

2. Put them where your ears want to be.

3. Use the simplest path to the hard drive as possible (no mixer, fer shure).

4. Don't do anything at all after the fact...everybody gets a master.

That's the basics. There is more in that sixcard.pdf on the earlier thread if you are interested. In that, I use pzm's because, while not quite on a par with good ribbons, one does not need to know much about mike patterns or placement to use them and they are quite excellent.

Regards,
Dave

Downloaded mine and played St. James just on my puter speaks and it sounds awesome. Gonna burn them and try them out tomorrow night on my main rig.

One question. Are these just samples or the full recording because the St. James cut off near the end. Could be the MS media player, love how often it fails to recognize a wave file. Gotta love Microsucks.

Seems like you tell the truth from time to time.[:D]

Hey Jeffers! I still lurk on DFWHornheads and really miss that bunch! Houstons seems to be hornhead free except for about 4 I can find.

As to the recordings, tell me more. Good enough you're finding them acceptable on your system(s). Yours was one of the best I've ever heard several years ago, and I've kept up with your changes via DFWH. Must be TRULLY awesome now.

Regards,
Dave

Thanks for doing that Dave. One more little problem, ClairedeLune does the same thing. Only reason I mention it is that I'll be burning a copy for a fellow forum member who doesn't have a burner and I don't want him thinking I'm more evenincompetent that has otherwise been demonstrated.

Thanks for doing that Dave. One more little problem, ClairedeLune does the same thing. Only reason I mention it is that I'll be burning a copy for a fellow forum member who doesn't have a burner and I don't want him thinking I'm more evenincompetent that has otherwise been demonstrated.

Good grief. Don't know what's up, but will fix.

Dave

Martin:

It's going up now. Connection is suggesting about 25 minutes assuming all goes well.

If there are ANY problems with anything else, let me know. I am at a loss as to how these files got clipped. Personally, I like the last decay in Clair best of the whole thing...to think it wasn't there chills my soul.

Dave

Hi Dave---

I hope you leave them up a couple more days. I am downloading the first one, but it might take a bit to get them all. Looking forward to it! And, of course, thanks!

No problem, Mark. I'll throw up a 2 minute warning before doing anything.

Dave

Dave,

I love the way the first track I started to play through the computer sounded so I made a cd with all of em, but just went to playu it and get an UN DISC message on my Oppo 980H. Grrrrr.. It plays fine in the computer. I'll try again, would love to hear these. Than you for posting them, they do sound wonderful.

Dave,

I love the way the first track I started to play through the computer sounded so I made a cd with all of em, but just went to playu it and get an UN DISC message on my Oppo 980H. Grrrrr.. It plays fine in the computer. I'll try again, would love to hear these. Than you for posting them, they do sound wonderful.

This may be a silly suggestion and if so I apologize. Did you make redbook or just burn the files? While OPPO says they are working on it, the OPPO (along with most players) does not do wav files.

Dave

Trust me Dave, there are NO silly suggestions in this arena. This is the first time I have ever tried to burn anyrthing to disc, never had anything I wanted to make a disc of and don't have cd in the car. I just copied to disc, it will play on Win Audio, but nothing on the Oppo. It plays on my laptop also, I was going to burn a copy on the laptop and see if any software issues with disc recording on my PC might have interferred, but it was after 1 and I called it a night. I might try it again tonight, but I also might be going out with a new lady friend. Guess who wins that contest? Tmrw is to MPLS to check out new-to-me Khorns, might be a long day, will see what happens, but I'd love to get a copy made that works. I'll certainly try again sometime over the weekend.

Thank you for the suggestion, my guess is that something with my ScanDisc program is screwing with me.

Trust me Dave, there are NO silly suggestions in this arena. This is the first time I have ever tried to burn anyrthing to disc, never had anything I wanted to make a disc of and don't have cd in the car. I just copied to disc, it will play on Win Audio, but nothing on the Oppo. It plays on my laptop also, I was going to burn a copy on the laptop and see if any software issues with disc recording on my PC might have interferred, but it was after 1 and I called it a night. I might try it again tonight, but I also might be going out with a new lady friend. Guess who wins that contest? Tmrw is to MPLS to check out new-to-me Khorns, might be a long day, will see what happens, but I'd love to get a copy made that works. I'll certainly try again sometime over the weekend.

Thank you for the suggestion, my guess is that something with my ScanDisc program is screwing with me.

For whatever software you are using to burn, use the "Audio CD"

option. I think even media player may do this now. Plenty of

freebies out there that do.

Dave

PS- in the previous response, I meant "...does NOT do wav files."