tubes for my new khorns

jks20

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That knob thing is pretty weird. It seems the hole in the knob is a bit to large for the shaft (volume) that it fits on. I loosened the set screw and pulled the knob out a tad and it works fine, but the knob is not completely straight on the shaft. By sliding the knob in and out on the shaft I can change the spot where it sticks (and ultimately the max volume) so it is kind of like having a governor on the thing. Does that make sense?

I am using the RCA 2A3 thank you! I agree that it is much better than the KR.

------------------

Ed W

Thanks again, Edster.

I'm in no rush with this tube amp thing,

my solid state keeps me happy.

Hell, who knows, maybe I need to grow up

a little more and let my musical tastes refine.

I know I will come to the point where I will rarely

listen to thrash, butI will always want it there.

I don't do that Commercialized airplay crap that

is pumped off as 'heavy metal' Korn, Limp bizkit,whatever.

The first band I liked when I was in 2nd grade

was Deep Purple.

It would be rather tough to drop everything and

start listening to classical, Right?

Or that little girl lesbian acoustic folk snivelings, Right?

But I do need to explore different venues.

Tiny Triodes? hmmmmm......Kits?

THANX!

Well Mike I have two places that are near that deal with tubes. The first was a place that carried Cary amps. They where hooked to some klipsch ksp400. Sound was a hell of lot more natuaral than any solid state I had ever listened to. I brougth with me a copy of kenny wayne shepherd and tantric. The next tubes I listened to where at a B&W dealer. The tubes where mac and they where powering a pair of b&w 803. I was not at all flattered by the sound they produced. They did sound better with the mac tubes than some solid state gear by classe that was hooked to another pair of 803's. In my oponion the klipsch with their 3000 dollar Cary amp sounded a hell of lot better than did the b&W mcintosh 15,000. Of course this is my oponion judged by my ears. I love the sound the tubes produced through the klipsch.

Mike brings up a question that's been nagging me recently with all of this talk about tubes - I've been wondering if tubes would work for me given my rock and roll tastes. I like to turn it up occasionally with some old school AC/DC, Rush, Stevie Ray Vaughn, etc... and I'm curious if tubes are really made for the classical/jazz listener instead of the rock taste. My Cornwalls have blown away any theory of classical vs. rock speaker because it plays it all well (as should any good piece of audio gear). However, I gather that tube amps are more limited in thier maximum output vs. SS amps. Just how limited are they? Can I achieve sonic glory with tubes given my propensity to crank it up on occasion? (100-105 db should about do it).

If I ever run into a deal I can't refuse on a set of khorns, I'd consider trying something in the tube realm - All of this talk has me very curious. I've not heard tubes before - at least not in an environment where I would know if they would be suitable for my use.

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

This message has been edited by dndphishin on 01-18-2002 at 07:38 PM

Tubes do rock better than solid state...try a big EL-34 amp or even the vintage EL-84 williamson amps....

Hendrix?....Zeppelin....Cream....Who.....

Les Pauls sound like Les PAuls......A Fender Strat's rounded and heavy tone comes out like you wont believe it.

Tube amps do TONE man! Big time.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 01-18-2002 at 10:16 PM

I used to review bands for indie magazines, e-zines, and had a column that discussed the latest racket being made far and wide. I saw countless shows and made the New Music Seminar and CMJ Festival every year in NYC, where you spent a few weeks hurrying from club, to dive, to floating barge, and back to club seeing everything from the likes of Helmut, Boss Hog, Screaming Trees, Sebadoh, Sonic Youth, Thinking Fellers Union, Guv'ner, Scratch Acid, Iggy Pop, Jesus Lizard, Phantom Tollbooth, Death of Samantha, Ride, My Bloody Valentine, Helium, Polvo, Dinosaur Jr, Ball, The Pixies, The Fall, The Cramps, Television, etc etc.... deliever show after show, mostly back to back. It was quite an undertaking. And if you happened to remain coherent through it all, you came away with quite an experience, although relating it to ye olde Grandkids would have to wait till the next Millinneum... or till you turned 40, whichever came first.

That is quite a mix of twisted sound, my dear AudioFiends. And on the slow nights, I tried to head over to the Sweet Basil, the Village Vanguard, or the Blue Note and toss a good $100 down the chute to hear what was left of the great jazz scene. And that is what you hear me ramble about here.

But I am here to say that TUBES CAN AND DO rock like no other... The problem, I am afraid to say, is that sometimes Klipsch, especially the vintage variety, can sound like Jehovah has ripped his spleen out and is crying for dear mercy through your one and only prized Klipsch horn vessel. When Kevin Shields of MBV is letting go off six layers of overdubbed guitar in that scary region that resides somewhere between the woofer and that magic mid-horn and the beloved tweeter..... well.... sometimes the results can lift the top of your skull from its base and twist and lock.

But tubes do a lot to make this horror-hell quotient come through intact without doing damage... And tubes have that amazing harmonic richness that does the same magic on a bleating alto or tenor sax as it does with a Fender Mustang having undergone a Sonic Youth detune audio Surprize.

But for those with your 98dB and above monsters.... tubes of all sorts will float the heavy and hard just as well, if not far better, than daddy 200w Japanamarvel Solid State slate crate.

SET amps can do this magic as well. So can great push pull with HQ output iron. Watts aint Watts, my Klipsch patrol. Even 14 watts of EICO can make Eric Clapton (when he was good - ie, when he was still using every kind of illegal substance known to man) sound like he is in the room.... Ginger Baker's drum kit will burst through the wall and out the other side. Sitting in a back room might find you jumping in your chair as Jack Bruce launches into the line that holds it all together.

So dont be afraid, my KlispchLoons. Whether it is Jesus Lizard, Let's Active, Mazzy Star, or PJ Harvey, Tubes and Horns have the tone and life to bring it to your veins.

....or maybe not.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 01-18-2002 at 10:47 PM

Indeed. You are lucky enough to live near ole Tom with his horn cache. Take him up on it. Of course, ole Tom is cheating a bit since he thinks he has to run big, mean ole solid state on the bottom with the little AV8 tubes on the top... Tell ole Tom to stop messin' around in that best of both Worlds no-man's bi-amp land....

Seriously though, if I was near him, I would drop over and make some racket as well. Perhaps even bring over a, dare I say it, big air-gapped iron SET amp for him to get pissed at...

kh

phishin---Well drive in from Moline Sunday and you can hear the Mighty Altec A5--JBL 2420 Edgarhorn---JBL 4648 Hybrids. And the awesome Altec 605As too. Then you'll be putting your Cornwalls on Ebay hoping for $1800. :-) Drop me an email. You ought to hangout at the high-efficiency forum at www.audioasylum.com Then you'll know when we're having our little Chicago Horn Club meetings. Hell, we get Hoosiers in from West Lafeyette and Indy, another fellow Illinoisan is always welcome.

Mobile---Please, I don't need to hear an amp that sounds better than what I have, I'm satisfied now and would just as soon not hear anything better, I've been spending enough lately. :-) Well my Fisher SA-100 is fixed and going back in and the Waves are coming out, I missed the sauve Fisher.

SA-100b.jpg

The Fisher SA-100 is a hell of an amp! I have always wanted one of those beasts! The outputs on that monster are amazing, especially given it is an EL-84 amp! You dont see iron like that on many amps of that type.

I know you are not into this, but would you take a paragraph and describe the sound of this piece? I seriously have always been interested when I see it come around as I love the little 6BQ5. If one goes for less than 250 range, I might get it. Sadly, they now go up in the 5 and 600 range!

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 01-19-2002 at 12:24 AM

Just a thought, on your quest for amplification.

Ive read a few articles on SS amps and Klipsch. Anyway, here is some high-lights I gathered from such.

------------------

Monarchy Audio SM-70

Onkyo DV-S535

MSB Link III

Parasound PLD 1100

KLIPSCH HERESY II

AudioQuest Slate/Diamondback

Mobile---Oh, I don't know much to say other than that the amp is very smooth and detailed, not a hint of harshness or fatique. The amp makes lots of "air", the instruments are finely detailed each kinda floating in it's own space, this adds to the sense of clarity. It's an amp you can just listen to for hours. The more I'm listening to the Wave 8s the more I'm noticeing little irritations like occasional glare and harshness at higher volumes, not a trace of that with the Fisher. Yeah, the little Fisher is really built. I got it for $10 at a garage sale, had the thing rebuilt with new caps and such a couple of years ago, latest problem was simply a dirty tube socket. I have a nice sounding Fisher 80AZ also, I used that in a mono rig with a single Altec 605A, that Fisher is sitting idle now, one of these days I need to get a mate for it.

Interesting piece about the Monarchy SM-70 with the Khorn. I will say that the Golden Tube Audio SE-40 is not what I would call a top notch tube amp. It was very good for the money but its resolution and dynamics are not particularly strong. Thus, I think the SM-70 and the GTA SE-40 are a more even matchup, while slightly more agile and well-bred tube amps would be a step above the SM-70, although it is a great little Class A amp, especially for SS.

kh

Well here is an update and a few more questions. I have decided to purchase a transdescent otl8 from a very helpful person I met here on the klipsch website.

All i have left is the preamp for my new system. Here are the ones I have narrowed it down to: Emotive Audio

Erato, Jadis DPl, White Audio labs vt1, Sonic Frontiers

sfl2, Joule Electra LA100, abd the Ah-3 DJH preamp sold by upscale audio. They are all within the 1000-2000 price range used except for the ah-3 DJH version that I can buy new for 1400. Any help in this decision process would be very appreciated.