First day with speakers...a question

schlaager

So I picked up a nice pair of Heresy speakers, and I settled on a Sansui QR-1500 receiver thinking maybe someday I can set up a quadraphonic system. Everything sounds great except, when I turn the volume up or down there is static (it's old, that's expected), and when I shut the receiver off, there is a burst of static from the left side. Should I be concerned about this? It sounds very loud and I'm kind of worried that it could take the speaker out. I figure since everyone here probably uses a lot of vintage equipment you can tell me what to do. Should I take the receiver back? Is there something I can put inline to dampen the surge?

The listening room

You should proceed with caution until others like (*Groomslakearea51) can speak to your issue, as sounds like Sansui is the source. Meanwhile check your connections and fuses outside of unit for proper rated fuses, wires not touching,etc. Careful!!!

static when turning the volume up or down is probably a dirty, scratchy pot. (the static sound is just upon adjustment, right?) Pots can be cleaned up using an electronic spray cleaner from Radio Shack or such as DeOxit. Take the knobs off and spray onto the pot shaft and then put the knob back on and twist the heck out of it back and forth. That should reduce the scratchy sound when adjusting the volume. Balance pots and bass/treble pots can all contribute to this.

The static on shut down sounds like something else and it could be cause for concern.

static when turning the volume up or down is probably a dirty, scratchy pot. (the static sound is just upon adjustment, right?) Pots can be cleaned up using an electronic spray cleaner from Radio Shack or such as DeOxit. Take the knobs off and spray onto the pot shaft and then put the knob back on and twist the heck out of it back and forth. That should reduce the scratchy sound when adjusting the volume. Balance pots and bass/treble pots can all contribute to this.

The static on shut down sounds like something else and it could be cause for concern.

Are you sure your speaker wires are hooked up correctly, like not touching metal other than connections on Sansui and speakers? Is the speaker wire you are using color coded, or a way to tell the diff. between wires, so that red(+) and Black(-) are not crossed for each of the 2 connections?

Let us know! Thanks! Goodnight....again!

My HK 630 is of the same vintage and has scratchy volume knobs and also makes a static sound when pushing the power button too. Both are very likely related to oxidation and other gunk building up on the contacts. Usually it's not a very big concern at all and a thourough cleaning should take care of everything.

While you've got the hood popped off, you might also check for bulging or leaky caps on the inside - chances are most of the caps on the inside will need to be replaced.

My vintage H/K430 is used in my bedroom system driving my Heresy IIs. Strictly CDs and the receiver. If they are good amps, SS will sound every bit as good as tubes. We all have our opinions.

sweet setup..those new heresys are quite nice... but does everyone that own them go old school with the amps? and spin records?

I was planning on going old school mostly for visual reasons. IMO it doesn't look good to have an old turntable with a new receiver. Then when I found the quad receiver at the price I did, it sealed the deal. Now to find a quad cartridge, and some records...

Thanks for the advice everyone. From the mixed answers, it sounds like I'll have to take the receiver back to where I bought it and have them clean it. It came with a warranty so I may as well use it.

Everyone pretty much answered the question. Before dragging it to the warranty guy, you may want to check the fuses and replace them with new ones; also pull off the cover and check the internal fuses and check the power cord connection to the on-off switch. It sounds like some bad caps and likely several resistors are gone. If the warranty people can't fix it, etc, and you like the quad receiver, you can email me and I'll send you some detailed instructions on cleaning and lubricating the switches and pots, and the names and contact information on at least 3 reliable, reasonable and experienced technicians who are familiar with vintage Sansui. Hope that helps. You might also contact HarryO on the forum and run this issue by him as well. He's one of the techs I would refer you to.

My vintage H/K430 is used in my bedroom system driving my Heresy IIs. Strictly CDs and the receiver. If they are good amps, SS will sound every bit as good as tubes. We all have our opinions.

Why did you go say that?

So I have to ask...as good as Moondogs?

I have not heard SS or digital or industrial maps sound as good as my Blueberry EX with VRDs. Maybe Accuphase or AudioNote or Meridian SS sounds better for several thousdand dollars more than I have invested in amplification.

Old SS is great stuff for the entry level or budget minded enthusiast. I use an old NAD in the bedroom; not in my main listening room.