Pay Radio

oldbuckster

I doubt the price will go up but I just hope the programming doesn't go down. XM Radio was the best.

The only good free radio we have is NPR and some radio shows on 88.3 KABF a non profit station. The rest of the radio stations here are complete and utter crap a waste of airwaves. I am truly jealous of those lucky enough to have good local radio.

Granted it does not have the portability of satellite radio, but I'm a fan of Internet radio. I recently added a Roku Soundbridge to my 2-channel system in the living room, and can directly tune a gob of stations over the Internet, many with no or very few commercials. I can also manage the interface from my PC at www.radioroku.com. Sound is very good!

We have some good local stations in Denver metro area, and many are available on the 'net. Not sure what your tastes are, but KBCO and 93.3 are two I like.

sirius has grown leaps and bounds the past couple of years. most analyst's have given stern the credit for the growth since the jump in subscribers started when he joined sirius. of course he gives himself all of the credit too! i had xm when it first came out, and after 2 years, i switched to sirius. now that i'm tired of sirius, i think i will give xm another shot, or whatever the new conglomerate is called. having listened to both extensively, they both have their high and low points making them virtually equal to each other. the ONLY reason i have any satellite radio is the time spent behind the wheel. have you ever tried driving across several states every week searching for radio stations? i'm here to chime in. with the exception of some good independent stations here and there(92.3 in bloomington, in), the majority of 'free' radio is a wasteland. whats even worse now is that clearchannel owns most of the major stations and they even have the same cookie cutter format from city to city. the only real downfall, imo, is that the sound quality is not very good on even a decent stereo. it may be better than most fm stations, but certainly is not near digital quality... the very reason i always carry a small cd collection with me.

is that the sound quality is not very good on even a decent stereo.

I swear that they now give you crap FM Radios in cars so you almost have to BUY your radio programs if you want good sound. I don't drive enough to justify having satellite radio ...... besides, with all the music channels on Cable TV, why wouldn't you just make CD's of that music to play in your car? Why pay twice for music ? This is becoming a PAY FOR EVERYTHING WORLD, what's next, paying for the air we breathe ?

Could be a generation gap here.

We older guys remember when things were free. Well not exactly, but there were certainly less commercials. And although there were far less stations I really believe the quality of those few things that were on was so much better. Seriously! Same thing seems to have happened to TV. Somebody's got to pony up for Alex Rodriguez's 249 million contract. Guess who's paying for that stuff? Got a mirror. And then the endless millions in law suits.

Now the new kid on the block is the internet. I love YouTube. Sure it's loaded with crap. But there is also a world of music, videos and information buried in there and if you are really good at searching it can be very educational and entertaining.

So when are they going to start charging internet access per seconds used.

P.S. there are also these other things called books. Anyone heard of them. Very portable, cheap, no batteries and best of all - NO COMMERCIALS!

It feels good to vent. Very refreshing indeed.