No Country for Old Men ................

oldbuckster

• Moderators

I loved this movie. Absolutely loved. I found it to be a compelling story about a "oldtimer" sheriff not being able to keep up with the times. But also coming to find that times, in reality, have always been hard, and wondering if he made the right choices. Moving, sad, thought-provoking. But that was just me.

Anyone trying to make the movie about the crime (and subsequently getting angry about the ending) missed the mark.

• Moderators

Hey Bill,

Yeah, a lot of people I talk to about the movie feel ripped off by the ending...like there's no closure...but I tell them I think the movie is about the sheriff (listen to the opening monologue) and that the closure is....

SPOILER ALERT...

he retires because he not only does he feel like he failed (was always one step behind), but also that he couldn't bring himself to be to be part of that world ("...a man would have to put his soul at hazard"--again, part of opening monologue, which really is the key to the movie), and that seems to make sense to people.

But it is obvious to me who ended up with the money, so I feel I have "closure" from the crime story line as well. It's a small clue, but it's there.

I liked everything about the movie, including the dialogue. I loved how Tommy Lee's character talked ("well, I couldn't swear to every detail, but it's certainly true that it is a story" was one of my favorites), and even the small exchanges between Lewellyn and his wife.

It was reminiscent to me of Fargo, which wasn't so much about the crime either (what ever happened to that money??), but more about the persistence and intuitiveness of a small town cop.

I did read it, still scratching my head wondering what I watched .................. Now I have to see, "There will Be Blood" ....... I have an awful problem with movies, when the Critics rave about them, I usually don't like them ..... maybe, title should have been, "No Country for Cranky Old Men" ... EH !!

• 4 weeks later...

I loved it and now have my own air tank at work, in case somebody pisses me off. Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffft. Problem dealt with! And I can open vending machines faster than a crackhead can light his pipe.

LOL!!!!!! i'm gonna get me a tank to lug around too!! just think of how many people would quietly get the hell out of your way. the heck with brandishing a gun, just get yourself an oxygen tank and air hammer!

i totally got what the movie was about. i almost ended it in the beginning when mr. psycho killed the first victim. yeah, like he could just kill whomever he would like without ever being noticed?? i know, it's a movie. but a real lame one at that...

• 2 weeks later...