Ebay Cornwalls

mpgwagon

What do you guy's think of these. I'm thinking about using them as rears with my Scala's in front, good idea??. What finish are they? The Serial number shows they are 76's not 72's. I live 20 miles from Portland so I can pick em' up. Something just doesn't look right about them, maybe it's the pics.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1321243684

------------------

Yamaha RX-V620 receiver

1976 Klipsch La Scala's

Klipsch KSW12 Sub.

Klipsch SC1 Center

Klipsch KG 3.5 rears

Panasonic RV31 DVD

Sharp 32" TV

It looks to me like they are designer series Cornwalls (CD BR) in unfinished Birch cabinets but I could be way off on that. It appears that someone made grills for them...designer series doesn't use grills. I would think these would go for less than the "Buy it Now" price because of the overall condition of the cabinets. Being within driving distance is a strong incentive to give them careful consideration. If they don't reach his reserve I'd try to go see them and make him an offer Smile.gif

------------------

Ed W

They are defintely from '76 and do look like the disigner series. They may have been Raw Birch at one time but it's quite evident that someone has put a stain to them. You can remove the stain and reapply your own if you want to match your La Scala's. I would take a look/listen and see if they are worth going after...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

I concur with both previous posters regarding the year ('76) and that the original Raw Birch has been stained. They likely have a type B2 crossover and therefore are sought after. I personally prefer the non-designer types with grille covers but to each his own.

An unfinished 1978 pair with risers recently went for $1,850. However, the seller paid shipping costs exceeding $70 and I'd expect that could be $250 to $500 depending on where they were shipped.

I'm not suggesting you should consider paying that much but with the Heritage line no longer inproduction, demand is increasing rapidly as will prices of these beauties.

20 miles away? I would most certainly set up an appointment with the seller to give them a peek-see to validate cosmetic and functional quality. The picture with the label identifies them as indeed CD-BR's. As stated here, they did not ship with grilles but it is my understanding that a grille kit was available from Klipsch to add. Perhaps that's where the grilles came from? Curious is the darker line going across the front of the tops.

As far as using them as rear surrounds, I've used my recently aquired CW's for rears in tandem with KHorn mains and a center Belle for about a week now to tremendous satisfaction!Smile.gif

------------------

Ed

BigBusa said:

Personally I don't think the description of them sounds too spectacular. They're butt ugly too. I wouldn't bid a lot for them.

I think that a bidder may not have to bid too much for them, because they are a bit ugly....but nothing someone with some woodworking skills couldn't improve upon. If the guts are good, and the price is right, jump on 'em.

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

This message has been edited by dndphishin on 01-17-2002 at 10:17 PM

they aren't too ugly, "little miss sensitive ears" thinks they are NOT ugly, she likes the birch pattern, I think they have been stained, it does look like the B2 crossover, which is NOT sought after, the B or the custom ALK crossover are better, so you might want to tell the guy that, the price on eBay reflects the bad color and photos, not the sound, I bet they sound great, go hear them wether you are interested in them or not, any kind of Klipsch big old horn under $800 is a bargin ...

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!