this can't be stock...can it?

So, armed with the advice I got from my previous post on a tweet upgrade for my scalas I took a look at the AA networks and saw this...dscf2386qa1.jpg

and this....

dscf2388lh3.jpg

The Sprague cap is 14MF and the other two are 2MF each. I'm guessing that this network as been modified at some point in its life. So now this begs the question: Do I really need to change these caps out? I know that the klipsch spec is for 13MF not 14. Will this make a big difference? Should I just replace that cap to the klipsch spec? Any input is greatly appreciated.

You will probably get a great deal of advice about choice of caps etc. However, let me make a suggestion that may seem silly. Remove the screw that secures the inductor on the left (with the piece of wood on top). Depending on what it is made from, it might actually change the inductor's value. Hey it is cheap advice.

-Tom

Tom is right on the inductor screw. At least 50 percent of the time, Klipsch used the wrong screw in the AA crossovers 245 uH inductor. Check it with a magnet. If it is attracted to the magnet, replace it with the proper screw. That would be a brass or non-magnetic stainless steel screw.

The one in the picture above looks like steel and therefore not the right one.

A steel screw changes the value of the 245 uH inductor to about 350 uH.

Bob Crites

Some of the worst caps I have ever found in a crossover.

YIKES! Well...I guess that does it. Now all I need to do is find a stainless or brass screw and some new caps! I don't want to spend a heck of a lot of money for the caps. Can anyone recommend a relatively cheap option and where to buy them?

Oh, and thanks for all the input so far!

Some of the worst caps I have ever found in a crossover.

YIKES! Well...I guess that does it. Now all I need to do is find a stainless or brass screw and some new caps! I don't want to spend a heck of a lot of money for the caps. Can anyone recommend a relatively cheap option and where to buy them?

Oh, and thanks for all the input so far!

I could make you up a kit of the caps, mounting blocks for the caps and correct screws if you are interested in that.

Send me an email.

Bob Crites

bobcrites@mac.com

• Klipsch Employees

It looks to me like it has been repaired. the yellow caps are from the pro networks, like the kp-250 and others. Maybe repaired in the factory.

The 14uF cap should be a 13uF cap, but that cap is a 10% part. Thus, 14uF is with in spec, if it is a 14uF.