LPs marked "demo not for sale"

lo123

My local thrift store occaisionally has some classical and other LPs that are in pristine visual condition. I've been fortunate to stop in several times to find mostly classical collections in the "record bin". Found many RCA Redseal recordings and a fair amount of Deutsch Gramophone vinyl. At 50 cents a pop I figure I won't get burned too bad lyif quality or taste for a particular recording fall short.

Today the stock had been replenished and I grabbed 20 mainly classical albums, mostly RCA RedSeal, variety of composers, etc., and most were stamped on the back "Demonstration Only, Not for Sale". Any clue what this means?

Or, since they would want to put their best foot forward with a demo disk, they could be pressings that were made early in the run. I got one once that had the following written on the sleeve: "Pressing number 6, for Maury, "Big" Maury, that is!"

Or, since they would want to put their best foot forward with a demo disk, they could be pressings that were made early in the run.  I got one once that had the following written on the sleeve:  "Pressing number 6, for Maury, "Big" Maury, that is!" 

Shoulda kept your mouth shut. I just heard from Big Maury. He wants his record back...NOW.

• Moderators

Promo discs given to radio stations, record stores or disc jockeys. No special value other than some might be long playing 33 or 45 rpm singles on full sized discs. Any pop music LP's used for dj use might be heavily worn so beware.

That is, for the most part true. HOWEVER, when it comes to the value of a record the answer really is always going to be the same: "It depends." Different record companies designated "promo" copies in different ways. A promo copy was for anything other then retail sales. So it could be for a radio station, some of these have timing strips on the front, or they could have simply been made to be given away. The most common way for record companies to designate them was to use a white label instead of their normal colored label wiith some wording such as "demonstration - not for sale" or "For Radio Use Only." Others, like Mercury, would use a special prefix like MK.

Sometimes regular stock copies have a "Not for Sale . . ." rubber stamped on them or stamped in gold foil. These are known as "designate promos." These are not true promos and they are valued as a stock copy that has been DEFACED, like having a cut-out or hole punched.

What you are describing sound like desinate promos and are actually of less value then a stock lp in the same condition.

Now the "it depends" part. If you have a real white label promo copy of a particular lp, it can add significant value over a stock copy. There are too many examples of this to list, but here are a couple off the top of my head:

Doors, LA Woman, white label dj promo is worth at least ten times more then stock copy.

Beach Boys - Holland

If the promo copy is colored vinyl vs. black, it can also add significant value. The famous exception to this is Elvis' Moody Blue. If you have a blue copy, not worth much, but if you have a stock or promo in black then it is worth big buck.

The only way to know is to do some research on each lp and they you begin to develop a feel for it after some time. The only way to know for sure is to research it to double check.

Travis

When I was a house DJ in Seattle it was typical to belong to a record pool. This pool was essentually a distribution agency for the "record industry". Each week we would receive newly released 12" singles and some albumns. They were usually marked "demo not for sale" or had a clipped corner. The discs were usually well recorded with extra wide deep grooves which allowed for addtional head room and was much more robust from scratching and skipping out of the groove. I only have two crates of these discs now, but at one time I had more than any one man really deserved. I hate to think how little was given to buy them from me years ago. One man's junk is another man's treasures, depending on the time of the era.