Cleaning Stereo Components

Spongeworthy

I have an mid-80s NAD Integrated Amp that I want to use to drive my deck and patio speakers that I just installed. One of the channels has a scratchy, static sound to it. I am thinking it might need a good cleaning.

Any other ideas or recommendations on how to clean it up? What product do you suggest using?

Thanks for any help.

Deoxit is highly regarded. I can't remember if Radio Shack has it. If not, they have an alternate electronics cleaner that leaves residue.

Just turning the pot vigorously many times, even without cleaner, will knock down some of the scratchiness.

Probably time to got back and start with the basics. Swap the speaker wires and see if sound follows. Then swap cables and see if sound follows. Also twist any knob (bass, treble, volume) for the affected channel back and forth about 20 times and listen again. Report back.

That's my limited advice but all I can offer.

Well, I went to Radio Shack and bought some Deoxit as suggested. I followed directions and used it very liberally while working all of the controls.

Presto. The thing sounds as good as it ever has. Deoxit is worth every penny after I was sticker shocked for 17 bucks for two tiny aeresol cans. Worth every penny.

Thanks to all for helping me get this fixed.