My fortes finally made it!

bigdaddy

They're here I'll post some pictures later. The don't look bad but they do need some work. The drivers on the one I have unwrapped so far look excellent.

The finish needs some work. I'm glad they're black I'm going to have to do some filling in one area. But overall not bad. The base is probably a goner. I can replace it easier than I can fix the existing one. All four corners have shrunk back and left gaps at the base. But they are 20 yrs old and I gave a little over 300 for em. So all in all not bad.

Hooked up and DAMN. I won't worry about dialing them in for now. We are moving in a couple of weeks and I'll do that in the new setup.

But so far I am impressed. I'll see how well they do with dialogue. I run a phantom center and that was the problem I had with the KG-4s they just didn't sound great on movies. But I can tell these are in another league. I'll get some pics up tonight. I'm going to play for now.

They do and they are doing it pretty well I might add. They are very large. I'm going to pack them up after playing for a while and set them up in the new house. They are just too much in this place. My wife will hate them. LOL

I'm sure they do!

Wife: What's in them boxes? Chorus's little brothers! LOL, Congrats!

Oh she knew they were coming. I myself didn't realise how big they are. Wowzers they can rock the house. I like them very much. I do have to say I'd give the edge on smoothness to the B&W but the distort way before they reach this kind of volume. I'm listening to some old school mountain music(think hillbilly) you can feel the upright bass being struck. It's a different experience. I'll do the crossover upgrade on them and I'm going to have to either refinish or veneer them. They are not as nice as represented but I got them cheap so I'm not bitchin'. At higher volumes they are a bit harsh on some stuff, but that could be placement, the room, the recording or many other things affecting them. I don't have them positioned very well at all right now. in fact they are sitting in front of my other speakers. Overall I think I like them.

fender that your showdog? he's beautiful. I've heard of the tweeter upgrade. That's another thing to try later.

Hey Big daddy, Thats Bodhi, my male. I also have two females. I need to hurry up and breed them, so they can earn their keep. One "Pet" puppy goes for a pair of mint mint mint Klipschorns...delivered! A show quality pup should go for the khorns, plus a mid level tube amp [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D] But for now they're just making me broke with vet bills and show fee's........gotta love them though[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

• Moderators

" I myself didn't realise how big they are. Wowzers they can rock the house. "

Big, they are not that big, try 6 for HT and a sub, and 2 Cornwalls for 2 CH in one living room.[Y]......... Want to rock the house try some of their big models they actually do rock the house ! [;)]

Also a great mod is new tweeters Did that to my Heresy II's and the sing even before the crossovers are done.

Are you suggesting NEW tweeters or diaphragms ... or changing the tweeters to some other type Confused?  

Just suggesting new K-75 ....I put in new k-76 in my heresy II's ..sounds great....but I've heard that the Bob Crites titanum tweeters are very nice (if he even makes them for the forte's???) ....havn't had a listen for myself so I can't say either way.

I think there is a thread on here where someone replaced his tweeter with the titaniums from Bob Crites. I'll look into it.

I'm really pleased with these so far. I can't wait to get them up to our place in Kansas where there are two corners to put them in.

I think there is a thread on here where someone replaced his tweeter with the titaniums from Bob Crites. I'll look into it.

I'm really pleased with these so far. I can't wait to get them up to our place in Kansas where there are two corners to put them in.  

Anyway you look at it Fortes are awesome!!!! I was with Groomlake a few days ago and his "wall of Voodoo" And just the fortes alone sound sooooo good. I think I'm going to pull the heresy's from my office into family room for HT 7.1 surrounds and replace with some Fortesf or my office !

I found a few posts actually with info on the Titanium Diaphram for the Forte. I'll call and find out about them. Also I'm going to look at the Crossover upgrades.

I don't know if I'll do them myself or have them built for me. I can solder and all that, but I have no idea at all what the caps do or any of the other parts on the crossovers.

Don't let the cap upgrade scare ya. I was skeptical at first and have done a lot of soldering work before. It was just that I love these fortes so much I didn't want to mess them up. Once you get going, its really not that bad. Now.... if you want to move the whole network off the cup,then that would be a whole different ball game! I was going to move mine off, and decided to leave them on, atleast for now. Everything looked good, so I just went with the new caps. I have read at another site about the tweeters and Bob's titanium upgrade. I'll see if I can find it............