Acoustic Panels who is using them and how are they using them.

draynes

Well I have been doing some reading on diy acoustic panels. From what I have read they can help a lot with sound quality. But I have some questions about acoustic panels that maybe some of you could answer.

1. I have RF-7's would putting acoustic panels behind them on each wall meeting in the corner be a good idea? I just think that it would kinda DE-engineer the rear ports of the RF-7, I thought it was suppose to reflect bass off the wall into the room.

2. They say to use a mirror on the wall to find the first reflection. My first reflection is were there is no wall and a window on the other side. I could put them further back. But that would kind of defeat the purpose right?

3. Should I put them on the far back wall? I read to use some thing called a diffuser instead of the absorption of the acoustic panel. Wouldn't the reflection of the back wall confuse the sound of the rear speakers? I would think it would be better to use an acoustic panel.

4. If you have them how are you using them?

Over all I am still pretty happy with my sound. Later I will add a external amp. My H/K will do for now [:D] . I would like to try to tame the highs a little more. But the H/K helped out a lot. If any one has any good websites or there own version of diy acoustic panel please let me know. Again and always thanks

I run RF-7's and use 2' x 4' acoustic panels from GIK acoustics. I use them to treat early reflection points and I also use them as bass traps straddeling the corners...............Worth every penny.[:D]

Treating the room accordingly allows you to control what your hearing and how you want to hear it............rather than the room dictating how it wants to screw up your listening experience.

I put the panels behind the 7's and it didn't work for the bass because they were too close, like 6 inches behind the speaker.........perhaps if they were farther back they'd be more effective.

I've also read that a diffuser at the back wall is the way to go......... have a large window directly behind my seating position so I was never able to experiment........so I hung thick velvet drapes for some absorption.

When you add an external amp with some serious power to your RF-7's you are gonna be really impressed at what the 7's can do. A quality sub will be a huge bonus to compliment the 7's and you'll be much more than "pretty happy"!!![Y][Y][Y]

I am happy with how the bass is for now, just try to work on the highs. Would the putting panels behind the RF-7 help the highs? As far bass traps that is kinda out of the question being that this is my living room. Not that much space in the corners. When listening in stereo I swear that sometimes the rear speakers are on. Does that mean that I am getting to much reflection of the rear wall? I do know that my dinning room and living room has a lot of echo because when I clap in the room I can hear it. And yes I know how much an and amp and subs will improve the sound. I am looking into dual diy 15's or 18's but I have to wait for funds and probable a bigger house. Take a look at my avatar not much room for dual subs unless I heave the RF-7 on top and put like 5-6 cu ft subs underneath them. Still debating between LLT and Sealed. I listen to a lot of music maybe a movie 1-2 times a week. But I do want that sub Hz kick you in the chest for movies. But it has to be very musical. I can't see spending the money for some thing like a RSW-15 when I know I can do it better. When I do build them I use a front firing sub and if ported those will come out of the front as well, may do a slot port I am still learning. But I do love the way slot porting looks. Like KW-120 for example.

Would the putting panels behind the RF-7 help the highs?

Placing the panels behind the speakers as well as at the reflection points will help the highs. You most likely will have to do the reflection points for sure.........behind the speaker may or may not be required.

From what I know the main place to start as far as placement of acoustic panels if the first reflection point. There is also another one on the ceiling and on the floor. But the floor normally has carpet so this is not an issue. I am just a beginner but the guys around here can steer you in the right direction.

Can anyone who is using panels or bass traps post some pics of how they are using them?

Thanks,]

Paul

Paul

mas is the guy to talk to. Coytee, Richard, knows how to reach him. I understand he's not as big an *** on the phone as he was on the forum.

If I put panels on a 45 degree angle in the corners behind my mains will that block bass from the speaker?

Or should I put them in a L shape behind them?

Are you talking about acoustic panels to absorb reflected sound or bass traps?

Well my main object is to control the highs, but if can get away with only use 1 acoustic panel instead of 2 I am all for that. My concern that is if I use one in the corner behind the main speakers (like a bass trap) that it will act as bass trap and take away the bass from the rear ports that need to reflect off of the wall.

If your main goal is to control the highs then place the panel flat against the wall behind the speaker. Raise it up so the center of the panel is level with the tweeter. There should be plenty of room for the rear port to work if the panel is up that high. You shouldn't loose any bass. In addition, reflective panels usually aren't thick enough to hamper bass performance.