K-55V Screens necessary?

HarryO

Will those screens fit a pipe ? ... Embarrassed

Not mine but funny you mention it. I think the local paraphenalia shop carries one just big enough I just might try if it's not going to be too restrictive. I just hope it doesn't resin up or burn out fast.

If that doesn't work I'll boogie on down to Lowes and buy a small section of vinyl screen and trim and glue to fit.

Anonymous

A while back I asked if removing the screen would have an audible affect but the opinion of forum members was no. I asked because I came across this link http://www.guerrillaaudio.com/store/bunker/klipschorn.html. They claimed "The mesh guard you see here is called the bug guard. I took it out in mine and it did make things a little more clear." I trusted the forum on this one and left mine in.

I've written on this before.

Some Altec hot rodders once suggested removing the bug screens for better sound. Long ago, I tested some EV units, then took out the bug screen, and tested again. There was no change. So in my view, the tweek is worthless. I was willing to imagine that the screen provided some sort of resistive acoustic loading. As a result of the test, I think not.

I had to use some needle nose plyers to get the screen out. The structure was ruined. Moving ahead I took apart the rest of the unit. An expensive investigation.

I would say you can use the unit without a replacement screen. It apparently only keeps out bugs, etc.

Gil