church fellowship hall PA speakers by Tony

Daddy Dee

Tony Reed sent me this quick shot of the nearly finished PA speakers he has built for my church's fellowship hall PA system.

Pretty cool. The only remaining part is to fabricate the white fabric grill cloth.

The HF driver is the K65 with Eminence horn. The woofer is a 12 inch Eminence Beta. Eminence networks crossed at 1500hz (also switchable to 2500hz if desired). Cabinet is tuned, but at the moment I'm having an attack of amnesia. Cab size is something a bit larger than Heresy and heavy as heck. 3/4" mdf.

We're hoping to fire them up on Tuesday night

Thanks Tony. They look great!

We got alot of advisement on the project from this forum. Thanks gentlemen.

post-11993-13819367850716_thumb.jpg

Crossover spec

Designed for 2-Way woofer and horn (or tweeter) applications.

Our Pro Series Crossovers are built with high grade 250v Poly Capacitors and high grade Coils.

Style 2-Way Cabinet Ready 5x7 Plate

(3 7/8" x 5 7/8" cabinet cutout)

Dual 1/4" Input/Output

Dual Neutrik Speakon Input/Output

L-Pad Volume Control for High Freq

Crossover / Xover Frequency 1.5kHz & 2.5kHz (Switchable)
Slope Per Octave 12dB with Limiters for the High Freq
Impedance 8 Ohms
Power Handling 500W RMS / 1000W Peak

post-11993-13819367852906_thumb.jpg

Tony Reed sent me this quick shot of the nearly finished PA speakers he has built for my church's fellowship hall PA system.

Pretty cool. The only remaining part is to fabricate the white fabric grill cloth.

The HF driver is the K65 with Eminence horn. The woofer is a 12 inch Eminence Beta. Eminence networks crossed at 1500hz (also switchable to 2500hz if desired). Cabinet is tuned, but at the moment I'm having an attack of amnesia. Cab size is something a bit larger than Heresy and heavy as heck. 3/4" mdf.

We're hoping to fire them up on Tuesday night

Thanks Tony. They look great!

Wow GREAT WORK!

"Internal fuses in that crossover, that's good protection but bad if the speakers are hung in a difficult location. "

They are lightbulbs, and if the crossover is designed correctly (lightbulbs after the L-pad) they will not blow unless the amp is larger than about 600W/4R (at which point the woofer will have burst into flames and need service too).

Tony delivered the speakers today and we set them up and dialed in the HF level.

All I can say is Wow. They sound fabulous. The room has already had acoustic treatment which makes the room good.

First we fired em up listening with a Kyrocera receiver. Listened to Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around. , God's Property,

and Kathy Mattea - Good News.

After Tony called it a night I changed the Kyrocera receiver out for a Teac tripath receiver. Listened to the same selections. The speakers sound better on the Teac.

Sweet sweet sweet.

Great job Tony!

This is what we are thinking of as a candidate to suspend the speakers from the ceiling.

This mount is designed for a TV CRT, but will adjust to fit the speaker cab. It requires bolting to a ceiling joist and supports 165lbs.

The ceiling in this room is drywall attached to joists.

The cabs, we estimate are under 60lbs. but will get them on scales to confirm.

Here's the pdf:

vmp024.pdf