Small scale farming....

Tarheel

I have a problem area in the back yard next to the patio that will not grow St. Augustine for some reason. I thought about shrubs rather than grass and went as far as calling a landscape person who is coming Wednesday but then with all the talk about going "green" I thought about a vegtable garden I tilled up the area down about 12" and amended the soil with shredded pine bark and fertilizer.

I told the wife my idea and said I wish I had some farmer type friends for advice. She responded by asking who it was that grew those beautiful tomatoes that were on the forum. I told her that was dtel and dtels wife.

So in coastal NC with at least 6 hours of sun, decent soil, and high humidity what can I plant this late in the season? Talking about an area 30'x25'.

I think pine bark is ill advised, I don't recall why. You just need to mix in some compost , old poop horse or cow. Plant and water, it's a great learn as you go knida thing. I will be planting some stuff this week as we are still getting below freezeing at night. Is your area full sun? Do you have any specific questions??

I will say go easy on squash plants, they produce alot of squash!

yes, nix the pine bark idea. Even peat moss will change the acidity of the soil. Manure, compost (really composted stuff, not leaves) will help. You may have to build the area up over a few years. Get the utility company to bring you it's shredded tree trimmings and let those melt down for a couple of years if you have the space and patience. That's what Grandma used to do for her rose beds and they won awards.

Steve, I'm so jealous. I love your place. Reminds me of where I used to live.Just beautiful produce man!

Michael

Seems like I recall this outfit called something like Hemp Accoustics. Apparently they use hemp to manufacture speaker cones and such. Let me know if you decide to go in this direction as I will apply for a position as quality control tester.

Funny!!

But during the Small Scale Great Depression (Redux #2... in the 1980's), that "crop" started "cropping up" all over Florida.... It got so bad that law enforcement had to ask the Air National Guard to take IR photography of rural sections in an attempt to find the "patches" (the leaves reflect infrared light at a different frequency than the surrounding leaves). "Hemp Equity Plans" are now the going thing indoors over on the coast by folks caught up with mortgage problems.... They just popped 40+ "grow houses" or something like that in Port St. Lucie. They also busted some folks who were buying up foreclosed homes for cash, "installing" a family and making a "mortgage" that if they grew MJ for 5 years (and did not get caught), they could keep the house, title free.

The closest "relative" in the plant world to MJ is the tomato plant. The University of Florida runs the agricultural extension offices in many rural counties, and according to the local rep, whenever "hemp" starts getting popular, there's a run on the extension office's Department of Agriculture's "how to grow tomatoes" pamphlets, free literature, etc. Lately, the pamphlets have been in very short supply....[ip][;)]

Thanks for the good suggestions guys. Very nice place Steve. Good Friday is usually planting time here in the southeast so I guess there is time for some tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, okra, and onions and then in the fall maybe brocoli and cauliflower.

Michael....yes about 6 hours of sun...tall pines filter out direct sun after that.

Brac.....whats the planting/growing season like in your neck of the woods?

Now....where can I buy those bib overalls?

Buck....you and bluesboy are two peas in a pod. Blues came over to record a tape and brought over The Who...Live at Leeds

Marshall.....interesting [:o] Any of those pamphlets left? I will save a similar story for another day[:P]

Chuck

I will apply for a position as quality control tester.

YUP, me too, because small scales are hard to grow !!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on down Buckster there's always room for one more tester. By the way, not to hijack this exciting gardening thread but..........what's the deal with Shine a Light? Have you seen it yet?

Shine a Light is now making the I-MAX tour ..... I haven't seen it, waiting for home DVD ...... The people I know who saw it, Loved It ... got the 2 disc soundtrack CD, that's a must have ... "Just My Imagination" worth the price alone ... What does one expect from the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World ??????? ................. DUAL TESTERS it is ............... EH !!