Members Weekly Music Recommendations-May 6

thebes

Missed a day. Sorry. For a house painter this time of the year can be trying, plenty of work but everybody wants it done at the same time. Glad I got something to escape to when I get home.

Well last week was the hard side of the 60's with Jimi, but this week I'm heading way over to the soft side.

The Carpenters, Self-titled, pop, lp I hate the brother, I hate most of their songs and songwriting, I hate most of the arrangements but I love that voice. You know, Ms. Bulimia. Karen. There is just something about her voice that makes me want to snuggle up to something, that makes me think of things lost, even if I haven't lost them. I seldom listen to their stuff because it drives me crazy over the lost opportunity to turn that voice into greatness. It's like a rainy Sunday. Still every now and then I get the urge. I close the shades, make sure no ones around and with furtive gestures I key up the Carpenters.

So what do you have to share this week?

Boy, ol' Thebes is all over the Musical Landscape, don't know that I can compete with The Carpenters, as a matter of fact, I won't even try ...............

A CLASSIC CASE : the LONDON SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA plays the music of JETHRO TULL ......... CD................ 1985

Well this is as close to the Carpenters as this Oldbuckster dares to go. Conducted by David Palmer, with guest appearances by Ian Anderson, Martin Barre, Peter Vitesse, and Bassist David Pegg. There wasn't a band whose music deserves the symponic treatment more than Jethro Tull, and Ian Anderson. Like him or not, Ian Anderson is a talented, slightly off centered song writer, and just happens to play a mean Flute. Who ever heard of a Flute in a rock band, yeah, there's been a few, but not the way Ian plays. He sorta' blows and talks at the same time, very different than most.

1. Locomotive Breath

2. Thick as a Brick

3. Elegy

4. Bouree

5. Fly By Night

6. Aqualung

7. Too Old to Rock and Roll, Too Young to Die

8. Medley; Teacher; Bungle in the Jungle; Rainbow Blues; Locomotive Breath

9.Living in the Past

10. War Child

A good song list, great sounding disc, a different approach to Tull's music. The songs tend to have a different effect when played by a full Symphony Orchestra, and if you're lucky enough to own Klipsch Speakers, you get what I mean real quick. I find when I hit a roadblock in my musical tastes, something like this disc, snaps me out of it. I do like the sound of a BIG Band, even if, it's an orchestra. Looking for something different, or a new twist on Jethro Tull, here you go. I know it's not the Carpenters, but what can I tell ya' ?

If Thebes is about confessionals this week then I secretly listen to a couple Yoko Ono songs. These aren't the screamy crazy stuff but a collection of cool pop songs from the early 80's to know. She has worked with B-52's, Cibbo Matto, and many others. She is an easy one for people to hate but I find her take on some pop songs surreal and interesting.

Did I mention The B-52's! There is a band that I love their records up until 1985. I think I stopped being a huge fan after Mesopotamia and after Ricky died. His loss took a massive creative and funny talent from the band.

B00002632M.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpgwild%20planet.jpgb52smesopotamia6ln.jpg

These are three albums that are just sheer fun. Surreal New Wave dance and surf music. Yeah Freds voice is annoying as hell but it fits in somehow.

Carpenters, Jethro Tull, B-52's, I say a good start!

Who can compete with Ian Anderson....not I!

B-52's is timely as they are on my A list for listening and I have 2 and want more so I will seek out some more

CD Cosmic Things, CD Good Stuff are 2 that play alot since receiving from *IT! Like the fun stuff, good stuff baby yes!

I will cite new releases from two perennial artists, to balance the archeological recommendations of some posts.[;)]

1. REM - Accelerate. First release in a while, and it sound much like the old REM of the early 90s. Most are quite accessible and catchy songs, and fortunately no ponderous ones, which was a problem for me with some of their earliest albums. If you are an REM fan, you should like this one.

2. Sheryl Crow - Detours. Some tracks have the classic SC signature sound, and some are not even recognizable as her. A rather mixed selection. But as above, if you are a fan, you will still like it. Note: the first track uses a weird compressed, AM radio effect, which is sure to send the audio obsessives (like us) rocketing off the couch to search for the sound problem. All other tracks sound great.

Wow,thebes,you nailed it.I never spent a dime or played a carpenter record but she has a fantastic voice.

I'm gonna suggest you go to dizzler.com,type in Dusty Springfield or Son of a Preacher Man,there's even a live version,sounds great.You don't have to sign up or pay anything,just search and listen to your faves.