OT: Zero Waste Reverse Osmosis

fini

I've been using a RO unit under my sink for almost 20 years. I've gone through a couple of them, and feel I need a new one. Although they do a great job of filtering just about everything from the water, traditionally they waste a lot of water to do it (I think my unit wastes 4 gallons to make one gallon of drinking water). Well, I just found out that Watts makes a zero waste RO unit that is currenty on sale at Costco.com. Instead of running the waste water down the drain, the water is pumped into the hot water side (the waste water has already been filtered of the nastiest stuff, but still has disolved calcium carbonate and sodium).http://www.wwdmag.com/Zero-Waste-A-Look-at-the-Future-of-Reverse-Osmosis-article3839' target="_blank">

I think I'm going to go for it.

post-3580-1381937366627_thumb.jpg

Jeff,

Thanks for the link. That is hysterical. I thought the cable guys, magic stones guys, harmonics dots guys and Peter Belt had the market cornered, but I particularly love this quip from the link you provided...

"He noted that healthy water formed a completed hexagonal crystal structure, while urban tap water and contaminated water was very disorganized. See photographs below:"

(insert picture of snowflake)

"Dr. Lee Lorenzen, an expert in clustered water, has demonstrated that these crystal clustered water molecules support the function of our D.N.A."

"Three Nobel prize winners in Advanced Medical Research discovered that the primary function of D.N.A. is in the transmission and reception of electromagnetic energy."

Fini,

You and I usually do not agree on ANYTHING, as you are usually wanting to waste money on some type of gadget that somehow is going to single handedly "Save the world from ourselves" in some type of so called "Conservation", and to this I must add another disagreement.

Unless you somehow live in a region of the world that is experiencing a water shortage, due to draught or sever contamination, I again feel that your just flushing MONEY down the drain. Before you WASTE your dollars, why don't you contact your local water supplier and ask for a copy of their Federally required testing data. Then do a little research on the amounts of minerals that your body requires on a daily basis. You might just find out that your local "unfiltered" municipal water supply is healthier for you than the RO water that you think is so great.

Unless you are trying to keep a Live Coral's in a Salt water tank, and/or have a Chlorine problem with your water supply there is no need for that drastic of a water purifier in nearly anywhere in the continential United States.

To top it all off, the only reason to have a RO unit for a saltwater coral aquarium is not because the water you have is bad, but rather, it's easier to add minerals in a certain leval (which coral's are VERY sensitive to) to pure water, rather than water with unmeasured levels of minerals in it.

Really, I'm not trying to Peeve you, I'd just like to see the Tree huggers of the world use a little common sense, and it seems that your easilly sucked into that Montra.

You can add to that the high levels of hormones that seem to be attributed to birth control pills, antibiotic levels and animal growth hormones.

Some people think that aspertame is ok, too. Plus, we have high fructose corn syrup in almost everything. We are killing ourselves.

You can add to that the high levels of hormones that seem to be attributed to birth control pills, antibiotic levels and animal growth hormones.

Some people think that aspertame is ok, too. Plus, we have high fructose corn syrup in almost everything. We are killing ourselves.

I just thank God beer isn't on that list.

You know? Here's where I draw the line....

There are certain things a person can do to great excess, and the great excess can become very harmful to health. Alcoholism is one of those things.

But because of alcoholism and all the terrible things it causes, the Baptists and Protestants condemn all alcohol as bad.

Smoking is bad, too. There is no point where it is apparently acceptable for a person to be a moderate smoker.

Same now goes for fast food. Last time I knew, a bun was still in the bread group even though it was found in McDonald's. The attitude has become so out of whack, people actually think McDonald's buns are bad for you, but Kroger buns are just great. Taco Bell's beans are bad for you, but a pot of beans you cook at home is great.

This is utterly absurd. The real problem is that the American phsychie is to determine that anything enjoyable is bad. Why did our culture evolve into a populous that enjoys going around popping everyone's balloons?

If a person denies himself or herself, the payback is a "better" life. I am not so sure of that. I would have rather lived life and enjoyed it than ran around fearing death. That does not equate to "be reckless." It does mean, "get a life and stop running around scared."

Next time I eat, I will prefer to think I am extending my life instead of killing myself. I think I will enjoy my meal better that way.

I agree with your assertions as to quickly pushing an overload of drugs into the market by big pharma. However, I am not nearly as inclined to think BurgerKing International is duping me with a cheeseburger. I trust the cheeseburger.

30% or 40% of the population is overweight probably for a few reasons:

(1) Obesity has to have a large element related to heredity. There are people twice my size that do not eat twice what I eat, although they eat a lot like me. I would think, proportionally as to body mass and food consumption, they are starving relative to me, but yet they maintain greater obesity.

(2) Hard labor is far less a work requirement in today's society.

(3) People eat when they are not hungry (like ice cream before going to bed, etc.).

(4) The definition of "overweight" (I am guessing) must have changed. They now have charts showing me that my ideal weight is 165. There is no way in heck I'd feel good at 165. I can't imagine the skinny rail I'd be if I lost 50 pounds. I admit I should drop 25 to 30 pounds. But I'd look like I was undergoing radiation treatment if I weighed 165.

Mark, I trust the cheeseburger. I trust the taco. I trust the food industry in general. I don't think I need anyone passing laws that say I can't go to McDonald's and eat a quarter-pounder with cheese.

"Slow food?" Everybody's looking for an extreme niche as a cure. Slowness is not the answer, either.

Your pasta cooks at the same speed in boiling water as that found at Pizzatola's. Your hamburger patties cook as fast as those at McDonald's, except for the fact that you probably make yours twice as thick.

Your homemade potato salad might take longer because you don't have the industrial equipment to combine the ingerdients as quickly. Still, it is no better for you.

A pickle is a pickle. A head of lettuce is a head of lettuce. A bun is a bun. A pepperoni is a pepperoni. An onion is an onion.

It is funny how we've gone to a society where everyone runs around with a bottled water in their hands. Marketing in America has never been more effective. How to sell water for $10.00 a gallon? Tell people they are killing themselves if they don't buy it.

The newest takeover is the DanActive, Activia, niche. These so-called supplement drinks. You're not getting all your nutrients. Drink this puddle of dairy-like stuff.

Why are Americans such worriers that they go to these lengths?

And by worrying, they go to extremes, and once in the extreme niche, they feel superior. I remember some thread on here where someone was saying some in-laws would not allow their children to drink sodas - ever. I guess they are better for that. I don't know.

Just remember this, Mark. Your theory about corporate America and marketing is always acting on you. You might think you are "one-upping" McDonald's by shunning their product, and you are. However, somewhere, somebody marketed and prompted yout to do that. Was it Dole? Was it Evian? Was it Hilshire Farms? Whoever it was, they are happy that they scared you away from McDonald's and over into their corner. You have to wonder what their motives are for feeding you a line of crap that a cheeseburger is evil if prepared on a commercial stovetop.