OT: Zero Waste Reverse Osmosis

fini

I understand your position. It really seems based on a perspective that big corporate America has such wealth, control and dominance, that you would prefer to not contribute any further to their power position.

To some extent, I can appreciate that. But, of course, there is the internal struggle I go through regarding the "Wal-Mart issue." Wal-Mart becomes so efficient (or cut-throat, whatever you want to call it) that they put mom and pop stores out of business because of their low prices. That, I think, is undesirable, but on the other hand, mom and pop were not as efficient. Why should we go out of our ways to promote inefficiency?

If you were a small restaurateur and were able to amass a great following, would you not want to grow? Maybe not, but I would. At some point, I guess your luck can be too good and you succeed to a point where people don't like you.

The above pertains to big corporations, in general. I have less problem with them. I do not like government whoring out favors to them, though, but that's government.

As to pharma, that's a completely different matter. I am sure you know why.

This is true. The historical reason for such privileges is to limit the exposure of risk to investors. Back in history, if you stood to lose your home and all your wealth to potential unlimited liability you assumed by investing in a cargo ship, you'd have been less inclined to invest in it. To foster investment, the risk was reduced. The reduced risk cultivated development and economic progress. On occasion, the limited liability aspect has been at the expense of individuals injured by the business. It is not a perfect solution, but a more or less subsistence living based on what you could grow in your own garden is not all that good either.

Protection against unlawful search and seizure. I much favor the corporation against the rights of government intrusion.

Protection of free speech. Same thing.

Corporations are run by and through people, and to the extent their rights are commensurate with those of private citizens, I am all for it.

Your biggest beef is probably with corporate influence over government. Now there, I have some issues. But it takes two to tango (i.e. government is not exactly a victim here).

This IS the central issue - corporations are legal robots, bound by law to sociopathic behavior that "real" people do not have or display usually in business. It is a "headless" and morally bereft legal person, and thus can never be bound to human well being, or even humane behavior. That's the legal monster we created beginning with this nightmare court case.

Funny. The same could be said of lawyers and their duties to their clients.

• 3 months later...

In my geographic area I queried a state worker cutting and poisening vines in our woods about water and polution and he said all of the polutants collect at about a 1" layer about 12 ft. down (they have a special name for it) and that they don't know how much longer the layer will hold up. This was about 30 years ago. He said the layer contained just about everything you could think off. The well water 250 ft. down however was still pristene.

JJK

Give updates on how this works. I have been interested in this type of technology and don't know anyone that bought one to ask questions to about it. Updates would be great, and how it is installed.

The install went pretty well. I had to get a new basin wrench to attach the spout (the old tool's spring was worn out), and had to get parts to add electrical receptacles under the sink, but that was only two trips to the hardware store, which is below average for most of my projects[;)]. Of course, it's pretty crowded under the sink, but I got through it with a minimum of profanity.

The pump does make a bit of pulsating sound when running (lessened significantly with the addition of some well-placed bubble wrap between it and the cabinet wall). A more perminent solution will be nice.

Water tastes great, no leaks!

Thanks for the update Fini. I was wondering what this thread was about. Naturally....all of us Klipsch forum buds can count on mdeneen and Jeff Mathews to single (double??) handedly take a rather benign topic off into "the sky is falling" and "I'm not paranoid - I KNOW they're out to get me" territory. Lordy.....can't Amy create a separate forum for them????

Anyhow.....glad you got to piddle with your RO thingy. As for a permanent solution to the noise issue.....might I suggest a wrap or two of a gym sock?? LOL.....

Oh - and one last thing. I did some research and found that the same folks that make that RO thing also make these products:

http://www.gnc.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=2108499&cp=2167069

[;)] [;)]

Tom

For managing water I find good scotch works better than a filter.

Now if you want a real filter ...

I chose
to go with two
Big Blue sediment filters as the first step.

Then a Fleck 7000 carbon filter which is likely overkill.

Next a Fleck 7000 water softener.

We bought our softener and carbon filter here.

There was an old Culligan system we gave away that had a leaking bypass valve and they didn't make parts for it any longer.

Those Fleck units are fantastic, supporting whole house flow rates (less pressure drop than many units). I use two, one is just a carbon filter for all water, the second is a softener. We're on a well in a downtown urban area. Only problem is lack of chlorination for the carbon. A few ways to solve that - backflush with chlorine (not bad), inject chlorine (I'm too cheap), toss a pool chlorine tab in the big blue once in a while (yipee, we have a winner!)

These things totally smoke most similar equipment for residential flow rates. Both units are really the same, one has the resin bed for softening, the other carbon for filtering. They only cost a bit more than a Sears job. I think my entire system was about $1,600 compared to $3,000 from Culligan for just a softener (with a smaller throat). After a lot of cussing and a few leaks it works fine.

At the company I used to work at we had a conventional water sofening system for feeding water to a low pressure boiler. Used 2 to 3 pallets of 50 lb. bags of salt until we got a new technology softener then we only used 3 bags per year operating 24/7.

JJK