Shure M97xE Break-in?

sean5340

I just got my M97 and was wondering what can I expect when it breaks in. I am very happy so far with about 8 hours on it but haven't noticed any changes. The soundstage and imaging are really impressive. The mids are very relaxed. I hope they open up just a bit. Thanks for input.

With my M97xE at least, it took 20 or 30 album sides before it sounded right. The bass was kind of flat and unnatural at first, but that went away and once it was fully run-in, I was very happy with it. I've been listening to it for over 3 years now and it's still very pleasant and realistic-sounding.

I think you will like it. Doesn't take long to break in. Had one for a year, then the upgrade bug bit. Had to spend $250 to top it.

THX for that confirmation Ron. The guys at Music Direct just raved about this unit to me and they don't even carry it! Said they have been running one for several months in their demo room on a Project RM-5.

Funny how this cartridge was like overlooked while the V15 was still available but now that it's retired the 97XE is stepping up or at least getting it's due maybe[:o]

Did you find the midrange very laid back? Mine seems almost too laid back at the moment. Like I said before I hope it opens up a little.

Time will tell. Mine sounds good to me. It's the first decent cartridge I've had, so I've nothing to compare it to.

Did you find the midrange very laid back? Mine seems almost too laid back at the moment. Like I said before I hope it opens up a little.

Time will tell. Mine sounds good to me. It's the first decent cartridge I've had, so I've nothing to compare it to.

Me too!

It seems to spec out very similar to the one I've been using for close to thirty years. If it's the same or better, it should work out just fine. I've been using a AT11e and recently in the last few years upgraded the stylus from stock with the best available replacement. have fun.

Yeah, I am having alot of fun getting back into vinyl. I wish I would have done this a few years ago. Believe it or not I really enjoy cleaning the LP's, flipping 'em over and the analog sound is heaven! The M97xE has reduced surface noise significantly. This was almost a deal breaker for me and vinyl, now it's a non-issue.

Thanks for the great feedback.

I know what you mean. I'd read about all these audiophiles raving about how good vinyl sounded and didn't know what they were on about. After I got the M97xE, I could hear it for myself and CDs haven't sounded the same since.

I'm still amazed at how quiet records can sound between cuts with this cartridge. Some visitors can't believe it's not a CD that they're listening to.

Was the final evolution of the old M97 HE (hyper elliptical), used the HE's for 20 years when all my buddies were spending the big big bucks on the V15's.... I started using the eX's in 2006 and have two of them (one in a spare shell head), and pretty much think that the break-in is about 20 hours. I believe (but am probably wrong....) that there are some slight imperfections at the "micron" level and after playing the needle, those spots wear in, or "break in" due to the mass of the needle just causing those imperfections to be literally "knocked off".