THX or Reference Line?

ensmarcum

Alright, well I have been thinking about going with the rf63's and the rc 64, but I want to know if I should just get the THX system? How different are the systems? Is the ref line as good or better? What would be the differences in sound stage and dynamics? My wife would prefer the smaller style system but I would prefer the best sounding.

Yeah I do have a good setup. I am not using the subs, they are in their boxes hopefully someone will buy them. So I am looking to get either the THX setup or to go with like the rf63's and rc64 and forgo the sub for now. I dont quite understand what you mean by I am on the right track, and then saying she may thank me later? Is the THX better? Thanks

I see what you are saying. No we are movie watchers, we do not use it for music at all.

Thanks

Droopy

Thanks! I will now let you get the opinions from their experience with the THX, that is HT Klipsch users. Music is my primary objective, with HT a close 2.

• Moderators

I believe many have suggested that the THX Ultra 2 have better sound for movies while the Reference Series is great for movies and music. I have heard the RF-7 setup and the RF-83 setup and I love them both for movies and music. I'm currently working towards the complete RF-83 setup but with non-klipsch subs. I personally have never heard the THX Ultra 2's. Either would be great...one is just lighter on your wallet. :)

I would gladly sell you my setup minus the rs 42's. You can buy everything, but i would assume you wouldnt want the subs either. Make me an offer, I still have all the boxes in perfect condition, I live in a kid/pet/smoke free environment, it is just me and my wife. I would ship them to you at your cost so factor that in. I live in maine so I hope you are close. i will make you a great deal on them. you can email me if you like just let me know.

Droopy

does anyone know if the thx system needs a certain size room? i was under the assumption that you needed somewhat of a bigger room. thats one of the reasons i didn't go with the rf-83's or 63. i think the 82's may be too much for my room too. i am only getting them because they are not much moret than the 62's.

The THX System produces a LOT of sound. It is really designed for a
dedicated home theater and hopefully a lot of sound proofing. I would not recommend
using one in a family or living room environment unless you are the only one
living in the house. When played at mid to high levels you would rock the house and most likely the neighbors. It’s really hard to play the system soft
also, it’s kind of like driving a Ferrari and only being able to go 55 MPH. Not
very fun now is it?

In our THX Demo room, the room was built with plywood and then drywall
and soundproofed and insulated to the max. When played at a loud level you can
still hear the room 2 stores down from us. We cannot demo the room to its full
potential during business hours but after 6 pm when other tenants leave.

Just something to think about when going with the THX Ultra 2 system.

BTW Our room is 18 by 20 and they sound great. I would not go much smaller then that with the THX System.

Yeah I do have a good setup. I am not using the subs, they are in their boxes hopefully someone will buy them. So I am looking to get either the THX setup or to go with like the rf63's and rc64 and forgo the sub for now. I dont quite understand what you mean by I am on the right track, and then saying she may thank me later? Is the THX better? Thanks

Not using the subs? Forgo the subs?? In a mostly HT system??? Next to your center channel, your sub makes the most impact in a HT. Don't think for a minute that your mains are handling the LFE adequately.

Allthough I would be suprised if the Klipsch THX system could compete with my Heritage based setup !

Seriously

Droopy...

Seriously, you can come here and get a demo of a little of both.. hehehehehehehehe

It is just different.. I wish I could get the three 650's up front for a demo too someday? Maybe someone in Indy who orders them, will bring em over to see? But if you like that K horn / La Scala dynamic sound... Hard to go to something different. A jube system?? Again, the wow factor is off the charts as well.

I will say this... That newer palladium system is just awesome... That in any HT will ROCK!

Allthough I would be suprised if the Klipsch THX system could compete with my Heritage based setup !

Seriously

Droopy...

Seriously, you can come here and get a demo of a little of both.. hehehehehehehehe

It is just different.. I wish I could get the three 650's up front for a demo too someday? Maybe someone in Indy who orders them, will bring em over to see? But if you like that K horn / La Scala dynamic sound... Hard to go to something different. A jube system?? Again, the wow factor is off the charts as well.

I will say this... That newer palladium system is just awesome... That in any HT will ROCK!

After reading the specs of the THX system again , I feel I must change my initial response of being suprised if the THX set up could compete with my Heritage based set up .

I must now say , no how , no way could it compete ! OK , so the satellites have a tiny bit better frequency response than my Belles . The efficiency is way down and my sub will dig deeper . As far as space considerations go the THX system wins though .

Now assuming we add music into the equation ...

Sunburn...

Consider I have in my dedicated HT

7 La Scalas

Ka 1000 amp with 2 of the THX subs

And 2 of the THX side surrounds

all in a 17 x 28 roughly room. 106" screen

It's very dynamic, as I am sure you feel it in yours too. People outside this hobby drool when they come over to your place I bet? They do in mine!

The 650's might be more directional, and should have some higher highs maybe? Especially 3 up front and 2 in the back? That said... hard to move away from the classic Heritage sound if you like it? I doubt either of us are losing any sleep over this? hahahahahaha

Enjoy the day!

hehehehehe

I thik it is more for me to fill in the sides... I played around with it to be a all La Scala...which works too... but the fill factor was not right. (for surrounds, I think I prefered the KS 525's for movies to spray it a bit. Timbre wise always use the same three up front!)

I could put the tops of the La scalas up there... but what to do with the bottoms is the problem in a 17' wide room..??

But the sounds going behind you in 7.1 say as a plane flies over is just awesome....in 7.1.

I still play around some.. but if you come out here in June, stop by for sure and hear for yourself.....

Roger