Al K 's Type B upgrade almost complete.

kg4guy

I'm curious what it cost to build these with the current price of copper and everything else going crazy. I have been wanting to build a set for quite some time. The last time I priced the components was about 18 months ago and I recall it being around $300. Do you mind me asking what it currently costs to build these? Your assembly looks great so far!

Jeremy

I have around $300. but I it depends on your cap choice I used Kimber Kaps and Dayton Film & Foil by pass caps on the 2.2 and the 6.2 rather than the Solen and the Harmony by pass caps I may change it up after it is in to see how it sounds I also just used my T2A auto formers rather than buying new ones so that saved about $75. but may get a new pair from Bob Crites . The gold terminal strips on got on Ebay new for $3.00 each and the resistors at a electronics store here in Santa Barbara.

The networks look good. However.......you may have a problem with coupling of the inductors. They need to be placed at 90 degrees to one another. Take a close look at the picture of ALK's model of that network in the download section of his website. Also, read his white paper on "a case for extreme slope networks." It is explained in that white paper. You can't just lay the inductors all down on their side like that. Check the information out.

By the way. I have the same networks and they are excellent. They cost me more than I paid for my corns and since putting them in a few years ago I have not found any reason to change anything else. They are just superb. You will enjoy for sure.

That's what I was talking about. Thanks Dean. Notice that one of the vertically mounted inductors is also sitting on a spacer. It is not enough to just make then 90 degrees to one another. They need to also be centered with one another. Very important. Again......all explained in the white paper I referenced.

Thanks Erik and thanks everyone for the info I had email Al K about the inductor placement and he did confirm that on the extreme slop network the inductors need to be at 90 degrees however with the upgrade I was doing it was not important but that the more space between the inductors the better. Thanks

So how do they sound? Did you A/B test one old vs. one new to hear the difference? I'll bet you'd be pleasantly surprised.

I have not had a chance to A/B test them as I threw my back out trying to pick them up Dean was correct they are BIG![:o]

Where are you going to mount those boards?  They are too big for the inside of the side panel.  Maybe the inside of the back cover?

jc

If I can not get them to fit I will put them in some DIY speakers I just finished. K-55 mid ,Eminence Kappa-15 C and a Eminence APT-50 tweeter with type B crossovers.

I really never noticed how big they were. Not that I do I would recommend rebuilding them. It would not take too long. They are really not useable the way you have them. The ALK model of how that network is supposed to look is posted here. You are quite a ways off actually of what you really need. No offense, but you can't really use those like they are in a cornwall. Sorry. Tried to help earlier too.