Fuses

Good morning,

Let me start this by saying that i know nothing about these speakers. These were my father's love until he passed away recently. I adore them, but have no technical knowledge of them - the joys of being seventeen i suppose. We recently had the power go out while they were on and i'm thinking they blew a fuse, i am getting no sound out of them at all. I would greatly appreciate someone telling me where each of the fuses are located on the kb-00 type of speaker. It has an ak-2 crossover and i'm not certain of anything else. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

-andrew

Jeepers guys I was asleep at the wheel on that one. Klipschorn, B type, Oak, Oiled is the model indeed.

Email me at michael.colte@klipsch.com and I can forward information about your Father's speakers to you. They are family heirlooms, treasure them if you have room for them and love music. Sorry to hear for your loss.

Michael

I thought a Belle was a BK number, and the AK network suggests that he has a Klipschorn, as does the KB-OO (B style Oiled Oak).

The fuse holders should be on the left side of the woofer bin. Push-and-turn type, 2A fast blow on the woofer, 1-1/2A fast blow on the mids/highs.

The fuse holders should be on the left side of the woofer bin. Push-and-turn type, 2A fast blow on the woofer, 1-1/2A fast blow on the mids/highs.

Anedleka: Make sure you check; some of them with AK's and AK2's (ca 1986-1987) had 4 amp quick blow fuses in the bin fuse holders for the bass sections.

Yes, I think they were similar to Littlefuse 314004 ceramic very fast acting types, 20 years ago they were about $8 a box of 5.

You can flash the limiter lights on a 200W McIntosh into a Klipschorn and a 1A glass fast blow will hold.

I would just use a 2A fast blow glass type like you can find at Radio Shack, they will pass 4A for about 5 seconds without blowing, more on music.

Are you sure the amplifier hasn't been damaged from the power outage? The fast blow fuses in the speaker may be getting blown because of something being wrong with the amp.

You could try hooking the amplifier up to another speaker, one that you don't care about losing. Other than that the amp may need to be checked.

Let's be careful!

Every time the fuse has blown, your speakers have been saved. Consider your self lucky.

Obviously you have an electrical problem. This needs to be addressed without the speakers in the circuit. Substitute a 10watt 10 ohm power resistor (they cost a dollar down at Radio Shack. Please don't assume a fuse is going to save the day every time.

-Tom

"The problem continues now. I had been away for a few days so when i returned and replaced the blown 2a fuses. As soon as i turned the system back on they blew once more. Any thoughts?"

That's easy, you have an amp problem.

"Try the 4A fast blow fuses."

That's highly intelligent (not).

"Every time the fuse has blown, your speakers have been saved. Consider your self lucky."

Good reply.

I'm outside of philadelphia near king of prussia, any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to put the amp on a different set of speakers today and see, i'll also grab a power resistor. What is the worst case here in damage to the system?

-Andrew