Home Theatre with Heresy IIs?

webman

I am updating my stereo system to a new home theater setup. The only components I am keeping are a pair of 12-year old Heresy IIs. Absolutely love them.

I spoke to Klipsch, and they recommended pairing the Heresy's with SS-1 surrounds, SC-1 center, and the KSW-12 sub. They specifically advised against pairing the Heresy's with the Reference series components due to the different horn materials (plastic vs. metal).

I demoed the Synergy series setup and wasn't impressed. I demoed the Reference series (with RF5s) and was very impressed.

I don't want to get rid of my Heresy's, but I don't want to buy a new set of fronts. Anybody have any suggestions. My room is not perfect (an 18 x 25 cathedraled-ceiling, L-shaped setup), but I am interested in premium sound for music and strong effects for home theatre.

I know that someone will suggest buying some additional legacy Heresy's. How do you incorporate them as surrounds/centers? Can you hang Heresy's on the wall?

The new system will be driven by a Denon AVR-4802 or a Yamaha RX-V1. I appreciate any help that you can provide.

Many people use the hersery for all their speakers. I would NOT use the synergy speakers with your set up. They will never keep up, and you might throw up when listening to music, as your big 3 way horns pump out the SPL.

If you need to buy new, I'd get another hersery for center. Look around here (search) for ways to use them. Some have really high ceilings. You may also build a custom entertainment center, with room to put a hersery sideways under the TV.

If you buy used, go for the Acadamy, or KLF C7. The RC7 should be good as well. They will do a better job keeping up with the hersery's, and wont bottem out like the synergy.

For rear surrounds, and you dont want to but even more hererys, RS7 or RB5's, RB3's, or even RC3's would be a decent choice. You have a good reciever, and can set your system to work well with your rear surrounds.

As for the sub, if you have the money, go for a sub with a sealed box, like your mains. The KSW12 may not keep up with the hersery's.

(Ps, The synergy isnt BAD, just wont work with heritige seris)

Im not an EXPERT, but I hope this helps.

------------------

Matthew

Gatta' love klipsch

I found myself in a similiar situation when I decided to update to HT. I settled for using a RC-3 for my center channel because the KLF-C7 was too large for my set-up. I have found that RC-3 works very well. I suggest that you might ask your dealer to allow you to demo the RC-3 and see if it works for you.

------------------

Bill J.

Denon AVR 3300

Denon DVM 3800 DVD

Pioneer LD Elite CLD-53

Sony C222ES SACD/CD

Nakamichi Dragon Cassette

Scientific Atlantic Explorer 2100

RCA Home Theater Hi-Fi VCR

RCA 25" Colortrack 2000 (1974)

Rega Planar 3 Turntable -Elys cartridge

Panamax 1000+ Surge Protector/Line Conditioner

Heresy Mains

RC-3 Center Channel

KSP-S6 Rears

M&K VX-7 Sub

If you dont want to part with your beloved Heresey IIs, and I understand why, than going nearly all Heritage is the way to go (Ill get there someday!).

Now I have never A/B tested various Klipsch lines (i.e. Legends, Reference, Heritage) but numerous posters from this forum state you can really HEAR a difference. If you dont go entirely Heritage, at least get a Heritage center channel. Maybe find an Academy or a single/dual HIIs. I believe you can be more flexible with the rear channels, IMHO. So some good Reference series rear surrounds should do the trick.

The proper sub is critically!!! As you are aware, the HIIs have limited bass response - not exactly ideal for HT. Check out the powered subwoofers forum. Many recommendations for subs with the Heritage line.

Some Cornwalls or Fortes as mains with my HIIs as a dual center-channel would be my heaven (jack up the TV and put 'em sideways underneath), but anyway, there is my two cents.

------------------

A/V AMP: Yamaha DSP-A1

TV: 29" Sony Trinitron

DVD: Toshiba SD9200

CDP: Denon DCM-370

MAIN: Klipsch Heresey II

CTR: Klipsch KSF-C5

REAR: Infinity SM-65

(crap)

SUB: Infinity BU-1 (crap)

If I were you, I would seriously consider another pair of Heresy II's for your front and rear center channels. And while you're at it, I would get another pair for your side surrounds. You could find 2 pair from eBay or AudiogoN for under a grand and you will be ecstatic with the results. Find yourself a good sub that can keep up with them (I see some guys using the REL Strata III with their Heresy II's and are very happy). This system would rock for movies, and 5 channel music. The best of both worlds!

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

I guess I'll chime in with my recommendation for an all heresy setup.

I had a pair of 10 or 12 year old HII's that I bought new and after auditioning various alternatives, I decided that another pair was the way to go for the surrounds. I'm currently using an RC-3 for the center, due to space considerations and while, the match is not perfect, it's not just completely awful. Upgrading to the HII's to the rear made a humongous difference in how much I enjoy my system.

For a sub I'm using an SVS 20-39cs and it's a fantastic match for movies and for music.

------------------

--Elliott--

Heresy Mains (Birch)

Heresy Surrounds (Walnut)

RC-3 Center

(Because a C7 won't fit!)

SVS 20-39cs/Samson S700

Denon 2801

Acurus 100x3

JVC D-Series

Pioneer DV-525

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone;

I just found this board the other day. Great information. I'm in the same situation as the original querey in this thread: that is, I have a pair of 12 year old Heresy II's that I am debating on incorporating into a Home Theater or just starting from scratch. After reading MANY posts here, I do have a much better idea of whats involved. I use the speakers in a 2 channel system with an old Yamaha M-85 amp (bought it with the speakers, as a matter of fact) and a Kyocera tuner/pre-amp. I have never had any complaints.

But that brings us to now, the 21st century. I have let the whole Home Theater revolution pass me by, so I'm going with a 5.1 system, which will still be state-of-the-art to me. I am going to purchase an Adcom GSA-700 amp/decoder that will work with my Yamaha to drive a 5.1 setup. I figure I can go with an RC-7 center speaker, add a sub (plenty of good suggestions here) but I am still confused as to what is the best choice for the rears.

Price and size are two very important considerations. Room size will be an apt./condo sized living room. From what I gather from all my research, the fronts and center account for 70% of the soundstage, the sub must add some more, so that leaves the rears to account for what, maybe 20%-30%? With that being said, what is the best choice? The RS-3 is described as a surround speaker, but it seems any speaker can fill that function. The Klipsch Quintet looks like it meets my price/size criteria. The RB-5's look nice, but pricey. The RB-15's seem pretty nice too. TOO MANY CHOICES may be my problem.

Another question I have is whether or not to elevate the Heresy's once a sub is added to the equation. I now have them on some cheap/neat little stands I got from IKEA that aim them upward, but they are only a couple inches off the floor.

Forgive me for just throwing stuff out there, but if anyone has gone through this and/or has any suggestions, then let er' rip. I'm a sponge ready to absorb it all!!

i do not beleive klipsch recomenfded ss's and ksw? those are horrible mis matches, i own the ksw 12 and would not have even purchased the ss's the ksw cant sit in the same room with the heresies, so unevenly msatched, if they did tell you that, they must have a backlog and need to unload12.gif

----------------

On 1/20/2002 9:07:00 PM webman wrote:

How do you incorporate them as surrounds/centers? Can you hang Heresy's on the wall?

----------------

I have Heresys for my rear channels, & at one time had them on a shelf on the rear wall. Not only do they vibrate off at times, but the sound had very bad echos from the rear wall. It was not acceptable at all. THey came down in 2 weeks.

----------------

On 9/9/2003 4:55:25 PM bobjsim wrote:

Another question I have is whether or not to elevate the Heresy's once a sub is added to the equation.

----------------

I now have mine on 4' stands (see the link below), toed into the listening position. Doing this took away most of the low bass they have on the floor, but it was ok for the surround channels. If you have a good sub, you might be ok.

On that thought, would your rooms & budget allow you to pick up a pair of La Scala's for the front? This would be a HUGE improvement for your two channel, & a great way to go for the HT. I have Belle's in front with a custom center, & the sound is 9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif

The Heresy is a great all-around speaker...however consider a more 'bassy' set of mains and move them to surround duty if you are really after HT...or all Heresy and a nice sub or two. It really is going to depend on the room size.

I have a really small apartment now, my 'listening room' is 9x11 (shared with my office which is 9x8 and attaches off to the kitchen :))...I was going to build my A/V console as two Quartet height units so I could use another Quartet as a center....you don't mount them on the wall or above the TV/Screen you mount them on stands.

An Academy is the best match for a true 'shielded' center, but Academys go for more than any other single speaker in the Heritage line up and most others are really better speakers if you have the room...if magnetic interference is an issue bucking magnets can be added cheaply.

The best X.1 setup has all speakers the same.