Saw a great show last night....

I came into town (Arlington, Va) early last night to meet some friends of mine at the Birchmere in Alexandria, Va. The Birchmere is my favorite venue on the planet. It is very imtimate (holds approx 800 people), has great acoustics, serves good food, beer, wine and hard liquor, and has hosted many national acts over the last 25 years or so.

Last night I saw Joe Bonamassa, and gotta tell you it was one of the best concerts I have ever seen. This guy is a phenomenal guitarist, and a very good singer. If you had to stick him with a label you would call him a blues player, but there is no doubt he is classically trained. He played numerous guitars, but my favorite was when he was on an electric acoustic. He did things with that guitar that Segovia would have been proud of. The other thing about him is he is quite the showman. He is very animated on stage, but very appreciative of the crowd. He played for over 2 hours and did 3 separate encores.

He is playing the Birchmere again tonight but it is sold out. If anyone gets a chance to see this guy just do it. His band is outstanding (bass, boards, drums) as well. If I'm not mistaken last night was the opening show on his current tour.

Mike

I did a Youtube search. He is certainly quite a player, mostly (but not exclusively) in a blues vein. Very enjoyable.

I'm scratching my head over the Segovia/classical connection, though. (I'm a classical guitarist)

When I used to live in Syracuse smokin Joe was just a kid and playing in bars I went to when he was 10 years old. By the time he was 12 he had a solid following and we would actually pay to see him at various bars. He would have his parents there and he was just this kid prodigy wailing on the guitar. We would stand there and drink beer and watch him. He was really good, and he was just a kid.

I was surprised when he appeared recently here in Athens, Georgia. Actually, he may not have played yet.. I'm not sure. I read that he was coming to the Melting Point which is a great intimate venue to see notable artists locally here in Athens. I'm sure he is an awesome accomplished guitarist at this point.

You're gonna have to share one of his cd's iwth me Mike, certainly sounds like he's got some serious blues chop, a nd from my hometown too!

Folks if you ever find yourself in DC the Birchmere is the venue you want to check out. My Ex-wife was there the night before Mike taking in Southside Johnny. The ongoing lineup at that joint is always first class.