Chicago For A Day - Any Suggestions

BLSamuel

Our daughter's foreign exchange student friend is spending her final week with us before returning to Spain (long story...) and we've decided to take her to visit Chicago this Friday. She had visited with her host family (actually 2nd host family...) around Christmas but didn't see too much of the city as it was very cold. I think she said they went to the Field Meseum of Natural History.

Any suggestions as to what to visit for a day? Where to eat? Probably won't stay too late as the youngest daughter has a soccer game the next morning and she and I both most likely have at least one game to referee. Haven't been there in a few years. Worked downtown on Chicago avenue near the Chicago river for about 15 months almost 14 years ago.

We'll probably go with what Alba's the most interested in...

Things to visit / do....

• Take in a Cubs game (we're not really baseball fans so not likely) now if the Fire is playing... she might be interested
  • Shop, shop, shop till you drop
  • Art Institute
  • Museum of Science and Industry
  • Shedd's Aquarium
  • Adler Planetarium
  • Lincoln Park Zoo
  • Brookfield Zoo
  • Frank Lloyd Wright studio and homes in Oak Park
  • The Robie House
  • Chicago architecture in general
  • Visit the observation deck of the Hancock Center - has a couple of open air sections - much cooler than fully enclosed
  • Visit the observation deck of the Sears Tower
  • Visit Klipsch dealer in the city (only if near the Magnificent Mile as I'd likely be the only one interested)
  • take a horse drawn carriage ride ...
  • Shop, shop, shop till you drop (I'd better hide the credit cards)

Food

• Gino's East Pizzeria
  • Pizzeria Uno or Pizzeria Due
  • (I'm a big fan of the Chicago pan style pizza)
  • Mr Beef on Orleans (Italian Beef)
  • Portillo's Hot Dogs - a chain that had a pretty good Italian Beef with Cheddar cheese on croisant
  • Lawry's The Prime Rib (nope, I aint' dressin' for dinner)
  • Nick's Fish Market (ditto, ain't dressin' for dinner)
  • Demon Dogs (under the El near Northwestern University if I recall)

Any and all suggestions welcome. Traveling with 13, 16, and 18 year old teenagers and really can't stay late anyway so blues clubs are probably out of the question.

All within walking distance of each other

Millennium Park is a must http://www.millenniumpark.org/

Chicago River Boat Architectural Tours are very well liked http://www.chicagoline.com/archcruise/schedule.asp

The Art Institute of Chicago is considered one of the finest art museums in the country http://www.artic.edu/aic/index.php

All the shopping you could ever want is on Michigan Avenue north of the river.

The Cubs and Fire are both out of town on Friday.

78 and chance of rain on Friday.

Guest srobak

Personally - I would nix any museums or such if you are only here for the day. You can spend an entire day in any one of them, and still not see half the joint. They are nice and all - but don't do much for the feel of "being in chicago" as you are indoors, and it could just as well be in any university basement. :)

That being said - take the chicago river arhitectural tour as Flannj suggested. Great way to see the city and learn history AND *feel* Chicago all at the same time.

Skip the Sears Tower, other than to stand next to it and be reminded exactly how tiny you are. Going up top only to look down at everything really reminds me of being in an airplane, and not much more.

Instead of the Sears - do the Hancock. You are at the same height as several buildings nearby, or just above them - and it just has a much larger feel from there, compared to the Sears. You can also eat at the Signature Room Lounge - which is upstairs from the Signature Room which is horribly overpriced. The Lounge is a much cheaper alternative. If at all possible - get into the Hancock about an hour before Sunset, and watch as the sun goes down and the lights of the city come up. Very awesome transition to observe.

Day or night - head towards the Planetarium. There are some nearby areas to park, then walk to the north side of Solidarity Drive, anywhere between the planetarium and the aquarium for the best view of the city... very cool! Bring a camera.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Michigan Ave - well... yeah, there is tons of shopping there, but it is all horribly overpriced. To this day I do not understand why tourists flock there and pay 30 to 50% more than they could from the same stuff at the same store closer to home. Nice to walk along though, especially over the river... and see it all, but really - keep the money in your pocket. :) To feel Chicago, get off Michigan Ave, walk along State, Clark or Wabash. Lots of mom & pop stores, and every kind of food you could ever imagine.

I'm with flannj on this.

Your list would take several weeks. A walking tour up Michigan Avenue will keep most entertained, save for sports. Your old work location is on the path. But you'll be surprised at the improvements along the way. As you must know, the lakefront in good weather is a exceptionally pretty.

Actually, you will have to pick from some of the following, which in their entirety could take three days to explore. I'll leave it to you to pick what a teen would like.

Start at the Art Institute at Michigan and Adams. The Impressionists could be the focus. There is a wonderful courtyard restaurant for lunch or you can go to Miller's Pub at Adams and Waubash.

Walk north through the new Milleneum Park. The spitting waterfalls (you'll see) are a hoot. Just farther north is "The Bean." This is a fantastic giant fun house mirror. You must go to the underside.

Then north to the river you;ll find the tour boats. Maybe there is time for a tour. Or you could hop the 29 bus east to Navy Pier. There is an I-Max.and tourist shops. Several boat rides on the lake. etc.

North of the river is the shopping district. The Apple store on Michigan Avenue is worth visiting. Then farther north is the Hancock building and observatory. The pizza places are a short walk west but there is the Chocolate Factory there too.

You could then hop a 151 bus north to Lincoln Park Zoo. A bit small by modern standards but charming.

Again farther north is the Nature Museum at Fullerton and the lakefront. This does not entertain my interests me but it is the ecology of wetlands (read, swamps). The room full of butterflies is novel.

Now you'll be in my neighboorhood. There is a gem at Diversey and Sheridan for those interested in history and art.

http://www.elks.org/memorial/

It is somewhat stark but an impressive piece of work.

Gil

Guest srobak

Is she hot? If so please post some pictures

Very tactful. Top Notch!

I would also include Buddy Guy's Legends.

This I will agree on, if you are staying later into the night. I go there fairly regularly, and it is hands down the best place north of the Mason-Dixon Line for blues. If you are going to go however - try to get there before 8 if you want to sit, otherwise count on standing room only. They have a full south-eastern menu, and you absolutely will not be disappointed by anyone that ever plays there.

<><> Forget MR Beef, Way over rated Portillos much better. UNO or DUO a must. A walk on Navy pier , maybe.

If you want a great steak , Ruth Chris, Not cheap but very Good.

<>I would do the Shedd Aquarium.

Italian sub from Bari on Grand & Ogden.

Volarie Italian rest on Illinios & St Clair . Casual and good .

OB - nothing against the White Sox but we'e not real big baseball fans and would rather see a day game at Wrigley field for the people watching experience more than the baseball. Just to see a baseball game I'd rather go see the minor league Indianapolis Indians at Victory Field.

<><> Forget MR Beef, Way over rated Portillos much better. UNO or DUO a must. A walk on Navy pier , maybe.

If you want a great steak , Ruth Chris, Not cheap but very Good.

<>I would do the Shedd Aquarium.

Italian sub from Bari on Grand & Ogden.

Volarie Italian rest on Illinios & St Clair . Casual and good .

And I thought MR Beef was pretty good. Maybe the diviness of it helped or the surprise that food poisoning didn't follow. Portillos was very good for a chain fast food place. We lived in Bolingbrook for 14 months and would often grab a couple of Italian Beef and Cheddar on a croisant on the way out of town. Definitely more refined than MR Beef.

Could do Ruth Chris in Indianapolis (Carmel?) or probably would go to St Elmos in downtown Indy.

I'm also a fan of Gino's East (behind / near Water Tower Place) maybe because that was my first introduction to Chicago style pan pizza. Can't go wrong with Uno or Due. May have to try Bari. Food wise I'm thinking pig out on pizza for one meal and snack the rest of the day....

A lot of good ideas here from all. Thanks for all the great info so far.

would rather see a day game at Wrigley field

I hear that .............. would love to go to a CUBS game at Wrigley Field ...... Fenway Park is always #1 in my heart ... Wrigley #2 !!!!!!!

Was there last night and will be there tonight as well.

Wrigley in June and the Cubs in first place makes for a happy flannj.

SWEET LOU will guide you through ............ He will win a Championship with the Cubs ...... if ..... he doesn't get fired !!!!!

Dusty Baker should have won atleast once, but he didn't !!!!!!!

Because Dusty is an unaccountable, excuse making, non player developing, pitcher abusing, moron that couldn't make out a line up card if you tattooed it across his forehead in mirror writing.
When he left San Francisco the fans there said "you'll see" to the fans in Chicago.
When he left Chicago the fans here said "you'll see" to the fans in Cincinnati.
The fans in Cincinnati are just starting to see now.
Corey Patterson? Jerry Hairston Jr.?
What's next? Neifi Perez?
Sorry OB, you touched a nerve.

I was in Chicago in 1959 and watched the Maguire Sisters at the Che Perree and with Stitch Henderson 2 feet away riding up in that rickety elevator to the third floor. Rode the North Shore and went to the Sears tower top floor. Took the boat trip too. Stayed at the Lake Tower Motel and went swimming on the 7th floor outside. I liked Chicago a lot.

JJK

check out a burger joint named ed debevic's. great food and cool atmosphere. i'm not sure when they start, but every saturday during the summer there is a pretty good fireworks display from the navy pier. if you can, see them from a boat. very nice...