Chicago For A Day - Any Suggestions

BLSamuel

I was a commodity futures broker in a past life. One night on Rush St. I was grabbed in the privates by a bag lady. A street cop had actually warned me about 5 minutes previous. Stayed at the Palmer House that trip, 20 yrs ago. They had a neat piano bar in their somewhere. Is it still there? I like Chicago.

Guest srobak

JJ> Most of Chicago is like that.

Arky> That lady is still there - has to be the exact one... on Rush street last summer, she flashed me (NASTY) and then grabbed me. *yak*

Well I don't know JJK. The Sear Tower does have that set-up for the office floors. The trip to the observation level is done in one hop, at least these days. Are you sure you didn't visit Chicago twice?

I believe the woman people are talking about was still around as short as a year ago in the Loop area. As I remember, a cop talking to her called her Mary.

Years ago I saw up up on Division in the bar area, plopped down on the sidewalk. She'd flash people and cackle, "I know you guys, this is what you come here for."

Smile,

Gil

Sorry OB, you touched a nerve.

We agree he should have won atleast 1? Near the end of his run in San Franciso he lost focus, managed poorly, and the kid on the field was the final straw, he lost control. I know how you feel, being a Red Sox fan 76,84, and Grady Little and Pedro blowing it against the Yanks, I feel your pain.....Go Cubbies !!!!!!!!!!! Sweet Lou's the man, and an old fart too !!!!!!!!!

That's okay JJK. I don't know if it all "old" people. My sister and brother in law had a much better memory than I for what we did together in 197O or 1972. E.g. who was dating whom and where did we listen to the military draft lottery results.

I suspect that they discussed such events between themselves over the years and that reinforced the process. OTOH, I recall some events which they do not.

One more thing on the Chicago visit list. Chinatown can be a lot of fun.

Gil

Giordano's Pizza. Best in Chicago :) 

Giordano's or Lou Malnati's

Top Notch.

For pan? Lou Malnati's is my choice if I have to go with a chain, which I'd prefer not to do. Gulliver's on Howard for pan is my choice.

Good choice Kev, I lived in Rogers Park years ago and Gulliver's was a frequent stop along with The Heartland Cafe. But probably a bit far north for a one day visit to Chicago. For thin my favorite would be Pizza D.O.C. on Lawrence just north of Lincoln Square.

Giordano's Pizza. Best in Chicago :) 

Giordano's or Lou Malnati's

Top Notch.

For pan? Lou Malnati's is my choice if I have to go with a chain, which I'd prefer not to do. Gulliver's on Howard for pan is my choice.

Good choice Kev, I lived in Rogers Park years ago and Gulliver's was a frequent stop along with The Heartland Cafe. But probably a bit far north for a one day visit to Chicago. For thin my favorite would be Pizza D.O.C. on Lawrence just north of Lincoln Square.

Yeah! Love the D.O.C. for thin. Also Candlelight on Western and Howard re-opened as a family friendly restaurant and bar and has great thin. Also love Heartland, btw, nothing like sitting near the Morse stop eating and people watching in the summer.

I'll give one more suggestion for visitors.

http://www.ravinia.org/RavExperience/ConcertExp.aspx

I suggest that you sit on the lawn and take a train from downtown and return.

Be prepared to picnic. Visitors from afar can put together a picnic kit of sandwiches and beverages at a grocery. You'll need a ground cloth of some type but a cheapo tarp will do. Buy a couple of little candles in glass containers. One last thing is a cheap flashlight. At the end you might need it to find your belongings.

This will likely be the thing you'll talk about for years.

Gil

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for the great suggestions. We decided to hit the Museum of Science and Industry after lunching at Hooters in Merillville. There was a display on glass including a glass blowing demonstration and these pieces by Dale Chihuly

post-26727-1381938111735_thumb.jpg

post-26727-13819392545614_thumb.jpg

we hit the signature lounge at the Hancock building - $5 sodas are cheaper than the $15 skydeck - unfortunately we were seated on the lake side, but the views from the ladies room was pretty amazing (no view frorm the men's room)

post-26727-1381938111987_thumb.jpg

post-26727-13819392546584_thumb.jpg

so many places to go that we didn't make.... the closest we got to Millenium Park was driving by on the way home.... didn't even see / hear any street musicians though we didn't walk on Michigan Ave or other streets too much .... maybe next time ...