Klipsch Forte II - Holy ****

MD1032

I bought these from Chris (noki139) here on the forums today. He came forward and let me know he was interested in selling his since he doesn't use them much anymore with his current setup and schedule and wanted to pass them along to someone who would use them. I'm a huge music/audio nut and I'm moving into an apartment next semester, so I've had the Fortes on my radar for a while and was surfing ebay for a few months before Chris made an offer and I, of course, eagerly accepted the offer to do a local sale/pickup. He's a really awesome guy.

Anyway...

There are few things I've heard in my life, either instrument or audio product, that have changed the way I judge other things I hear, but
these are one of those things.

I've never, ever heard a more balanced sound from a speaker in my life. There's nothing missing from the sound at all. Every single nuance in the recordings is right there. The way the recording engineers mastered the CD is the greatest limitation in the sound I can detect for the first time. It's really a shame that speakers like this are seldom seen anymore. These are speakers that are obviously just plain well-engineered. Put one of them on either side of you, put a few watts through them, and hold onto your seat, because you're about to be transported to whatever place is on your playlist!

Preliminary judgment: Phenomenal. Switching to the B3's is actually pretty hard to do now.

With Mod's, They have scaled mountains for me! Check my thread out for a climb where few Forte's have gone before Yes

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=159340

SET12

Wow, serious stuff there. How much did those mods cost you? I'm quite pleased with mine right now, so no plans for modification any time soon (besides some kind of grilles for the passives in back).

I just created a new thread today with a relevant topic, and it's regarding my quest for a reasonable amp for these since my HK 430 isn't healthy.

With Mod's, They have scaled mountains for me! Check my thread out for a climb where few Forte's have gone before Yes

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=159340

SET12

Wow, serious stuff there. How much did those mods cost you? I'm quite pleased with mine right now, so no plans for modification any time soon (besides some kind of grilles for the passives in back).

I just created a new thread today with a relevant topic, and it's regarding my quest for a reasonable amp for these since my HK 430 isn't healthy.

You are quite correct! Its quite serious stuff and has been very educational and enlightening.

As for cost I have about what the Forte's sold for new in parts alone! But as far as what the performance is worth! its easily worth many, many times what I have invested. Considering that your Forte's are near 20 yrs old I would consider replacing the caps at least perhaps with Sonicaps or check with Bob Crites or others on this forum that do crossover mod's it will be well worth it. As far as a grill for the passive I would be careful as to not restrict air flow to it as it may very well effect your low frequency extension.

As far as an amplifier I personally prefer tubes on Klipsch's, For a beginner if you can find one of these I think you'll be in heaven. Of course their are others you might consider or you might DIY your own.

But check this out http://home.earthlink.net/~eico_hf81/

SET12

Crossover mods are an absolute must with these speakers, they will elevate the capability far beyond what you would expect. I offer the "K-stack" replacement networks (which are a replacement with all new parts), though at a minimum do yourself the justice of a cap rebuild, you will be even more amazed than what you already are. I know there's a lot of people out there (including myself) that did not believe a word of it until they did it.

Start with a great speaker and make it outstanding.

Chris

Well it all depends. Most will say immediately that cornwalls sound better. They are bigger, and sound that way. Some who have listened critically over time say that while the cornwalls initially impress, the Forte's win out over time with their balance and range, and of course the Forte II's have the tractrix mid horn for more open mids. The Forte's are more placement sensitive with the rear firing passive. So it depends on your own taste, room, placement possibilities, etc. One thing is sure, you can't go wrong either way.

I have both Cornwalls and Fortes. Here's the comparison:

1) Cornwalls sound BIG. And, by virtue of the large squawker horn, have an unmistakeable "presence" to them. They have a lot of depth, and really shine where you want to have a large "signature".

2) Fortes sound ARTICULATE. They are subtle, and rich. For a smaller speaker, they have great bass, but the Cornwalls just are fuller overall. I like Forte's because they give you an analysis of the music, where Corns give you musical presence.

I have two Corns L&R and a Forte center in my HT. They blend surprisingly nice. I also built a set of CornForte's (Cornwall bin with K33 woofers and Forte horns). This speaker is my favorite, combining the best of both worlds.

Chris

I have both Cornwalls and Fortes. Here's the comparison:

1) Cornwalls sound BIG. And, by virtue of the large squawker horn, have an unmistakeable "presence" to them. They have a lot of depth, and really shine where you want to have a large "signature".

2) Fortes sound ARTICULATE. They are subtle, and rich. For a smaller speaker, they have great bass, but the Cornwalls just are fuller overall. I like Forte's because they give you an analysis of the music, where Corns give you musical presence.

I have two Corns L&R and a Forte center in my HT. They blend surprisingly nice. I also built a set of CornForte's (Cornwall bin with K33 woofers and Forte horns). This speaker is my favorite, combining the best of both worlds.

Chris

Thank you! - Excellent Explanation!

Crossover mods are an absolute must with these speakers, they will elevate the capability far beyond what you would expect. I offer the "K-stack" replacement networks (which are a replacement with all new parts), though at a minimum do yourself the justice of a cap rebuild, you will be even more amazed than what you already are. I know there's a lot of people out there (including myself) that did not believe a word of it until they did it.

Start with a great speaker and make it outstanding.

Chris

Yikes, well, I wasn't planning on just digging into them as soon as I got them, but it sounds like it's a worthwhile investment. Who do I go to to get started? Also, how much does it cost?

I'm in the process of trying to figure that out myself. I've messaged a few members, but gotten no response. I haven't seen a single review of the mod that isn't overwhelmingly positive.

But yes indeed, they are grand. I will say this, I've tried them with the HK 430, my parents' Pioneer SX-3700, and my T-amp, and the HK 430 is definitely the best performer. The T-amp sounds too bright to me, although it is quite amazing that such big bass can come out of such a small object!