Technics SL M1

TheEvan

Picked up one of these off of the 'Bay so I'd have a plug-&-play whist my SP10 is off for repairs. It is surprisingly nice and sound surprisingly nice.. It's got an AT model "V" p-mount on it. I suspect I'd get a nicer sound if I copped the 440mla off of my SP10, but I think I'll need an adapter to do the p-mount thing.

Anybody seen-heard?

Here's the auction. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190226739611&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

I've had an inexpensive Technics TT, puchased in the late '80s, an SL-QD33, that I have been quite happy with, especially given I don't have a huge lp collection anymore. It replaced a Philips GA-212, with the soft touch controls. The motor on it finally gave out, or the capacitance 'light touch' switches failed. In many ways, I wish I had kept it and gotten it repaired.

...anyway, my Technics also uses a P mount cart, which I am looking to replace. I don't want to spend a fortune on one, but it has a cheap Pickering on it at the moment. My TT is extremely quiet. The motor has very little torque, so you can stall it easily if you are using a brush to clean your LPs.

all that to say... ENJOY!

Bruce

Marvels post reminded me that I have a Technics SL-Q3 DD TT that needs work (probably the controls), but the motor is good, tonearm, etc. The dust cover is busted. Anyone interested, I'll drop it in a box and it's yours. Great for parts or an extra table if you're handy.

Marvels post reminded me that I have a Technics SL-Q3 DD TT that needs work (probably the controls), but the motor is good, tonearm, etc. The dust cover is busted. Anyone interested, I'll drop it in a box and it's yours. Great for parts or an extra table if you're handy.

I think that is pretty cool enough, has it got a cart? Can I get it? And how much do you want?

I have been looking at a Technics MA 1 which is a similar TT to the 1200, with the chipset and direct motor drive the same, straight arm with a T4mount with a Shure.

I think that is pretty cool enough, has it got a cart? Can I get it? And how much do you want?

I have been looking at a Technics MA 1 which is a similar TT to the 1200, with the chipset and direct motor drive the same, straight arm with a T4mount with a Shure. 

I have been looking at a Technics MA 1 which is a similar TT to the 1200, with the chipset and direct motor drive the same, straight arm with a T4mount with a Shure. 

I don't want anything for it, no cartridge or headshell, as that's what I bought it for but I may have another if you are in need of one. The controls seem to need cleaning, as that would explain the tables "ghostly" performance. It has auto start and repeat and a slider that determines how many times to repeat. A good layer of dust has surrounded all the buttons and the slider. I'll try and post a pic of it tomorrow. Oh, it's quartz DD too! [:)]

Marvel, when I come up with a good replacement for the Audio Technica currently on this rig, you're welcome to it, free of course. I'll ressurrect this thread when I'm ready & we'll set up the deal.

That is a very nice offer. I'm sure I'll be around here somewhere. Many thanks!

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

The sumiko p-mount turned out to be pretty good. Marvel already has the AT that was on this table, and all parties are happy in one way or another.

I'm going to drop my SP10 at a place in Dallas for repair on my way though to Kansas later this summer. After it's repaired I might even keep the M1. Or at least pass it on to my son...