For Kaiser...Here's my TD-124!

fini

All done (except for a new plinth that I will build, either out of some tigerwood flooring I scored ultra cheap or some other species of hardwood)! To the left is the step-up transformer I built using Altec/Peerless 4722s. The arm is an Ortofon RS-212 (albeit with an aftermarket Empire headshell) in which a Denon DL-103 is mounted. I've gotta say, this table is very quiet, and comes up to speed within 2 or 3 revs.

Work done included replacing the nylon platter bearings with new sintered bronze bushings, new thrust pad (metal) and gasket, completely rebuilding the motor, cleaning everything, new silicone motor mount grommets, new silicone "dots" between the main platter and upper platter "shell", new DIY power cord (14 ga. with DIY copper braid shielding, Techflex, and fancy plug), new DIY leads (using Blue Jeans cable and RCA plugs) soldered to the unusual (i.e. hard-to-find) 7-pin Ortofon plug (w/ more Techflex and a separate ground wire).

They must have supplied this combo (TD-124 and RS-212) pretty often when sold new. There's a set-up like this for sale on eBay right now (although it's a MKII 124). The seller doesn't include leads from the tonearm. He states that the leads are readily available from SME, even though I told him they wouldn't work with the Ortofon (7-pin vs. 5-pin, I believe). Oh well, kinda like Greg's hassle with the guy and his K-22s...

If anyone needs sources of supply for any of the parts, let me know. I spent a significant amount of time tracking this stuff down!

post-3580-13819375024874_thumb.jpg

Here the motor has been rebuilt. Notice the rivets are gone, replaced with tiny (M2.5) bolts. This will make it easier to rebuild it next time, in 50 years.

Upgrades I might consider at this point are longer motor mounting bolts (to make it like those on the MKII, which allow the use of more silicone grommets, which reduce any motor noise), and a thicker platter thrust plate (again, it's supposed ot reduce noise). As I said above, it's already dang quiet, so I'm not in a big hurry.

post-3580-13819375032138_thumb.jpg

All that work and you managed to drop it on the floor. Look at that kink you've got in your arm. And are those magic pebbles I espy in the background? Magic pebbles, harummph. Just another one of those nutty Left Coast things.

Oh and how's it sound?

Very nice and it encourages me to get on with my project. I was really looking forward to taking my time and rebuilding the motor, platter bearings, replacing the grommets (I've been researching the project for months) but I've run into a problem. The TD-124 I got off ebay is immaculate...everything appears to work perfectly. I plugged it in and it was so quiet I was amazed. My only concern is the seller unscrewed the spindle from the platter to ship it but it was very well packaged so that might have been the best approach.

The NOS SME 3009 I also got off ebay (type 2 improved unfortunately...I jumped too soon) also appears to be NOS...the only problem is the headshell connectors which are old and brittle. I was planning to replace the rubber coupling and upgrade the bearings to bronze but I'm hesitating to do that either.

And to make matters worse I think I've decided to get a plinth like Kudrets (although my personal preference is for the squared off corners) and a DL 103r cartridge...so I may be near the end of the journey. You may laugh but I was really looking forward to this project occupying much more of my time.

No laughing here, I understand completely. It's a lot of fun!

I wouldn't bother replacing that stuff right now, Charles. You can always do those upgrades later. They're pretty easy to do, and don't need super re-alignment precision (which I appreciate!).

I'm not sure the DL-103R would be the best choice of cartridge for the 3009 SII Improved. They're not made anymore, but a DL-103D I think would be perfect. They show up on eBay occasionally. A used one could be sent to SoundSmith for a retip. It'd be a bit pricey, but you don't have to spend money on TT upgrades...

NICE! You did a great job and it looks perfect[:D]

What are you running under that shell an SPU? I'm so torn as I really love the 124's but my wife will kill me if I bring another fixer upper into the house[:o] Maybe I can just tell her what a new Scout rim drive runs and reason will set in, no chance[6] LOL

As much as I like Kudret's custom plinth I do like the basic square corner also[;)] Sorry it took me so long to see your post[:$]