New TV, Did I Do Any Good?

rplace

I typically research things till I am blue in the face. However, this time around I just went and bought a TV...so unlike me. My 10+ year old 36 inch Sony tube TV has been on the blink and it finally went belly up. I have a visio LCD in my bedroom and have not regrets about the low $$ end of the night watching casual use TV. So I was all about getting another Visio on the cheap for the living room. Afterall I have my HT for "real" viewing.

I switched gears at the store and went from Visio LCD to Panasonic Plasma. Specifically the TH42PZ700U 42 inch 1080p Plasma. Any of you know anything about this TV? I got 90 days to take it back...so wondering what any or all of you think of it. After only one night of viewing it is looking pretty darn good.

Time to get out the set up DVD and fine tune it.

Guess it comes down to what you plan on watching (any sports/fast action?), how your LR is set up (ie bright light/lots of windows), cost of the Panny (as its a discontinued model), etc.

For me I like to watch sports and the 120 hz/MEMC is appealing, also if you have a bright LR b/c of ambient lights LCD's are better in this environment than plasma's, and finally I can assume what you paid and hope you got good deal since it is a discontinued model (ext warranty.)

My assumption is that you paid around $1k for the TV and at that price I would have leaned heavier, even though they cost slightly more, on the newer vizio's out right now (can be had at Sam's/Costco for around $1200) or the Black Tie Series slated for July/Aug (see blurb on black ties below.) Keep in mind the MSRP below isn't what you can expect to pay at retail..usually knock a couple hundred off.

The firm's new Black Tie family consists of the 42-inch SV42LF and the 47-inch SV47LF, both of which rock that 1080p goodness, 120Hz processing, 6,500:1 contrast ratio, four HDMI 1.3 inputs, an integrated NTSC / ATSC / Clear-QAM TV tuner, on-board Dolby 3.0 processing, Motion Estimation Motion Compensation (MEMC) and a side access "HD Game Port" with an HDMI input. These units also feature slimmer bezels than those found on Vizio's past sets, and should be available this July for $1,499 and $1,899, respectively.

With all that said the easiest is to look for reviews from owners to see what issues they've had and if you can live with them. And if yes, then if you're happy with the cost and picture quality it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Of course there is always something better around the corner it all depends on if you want to wait or look around.

If you like the picture, then that's all that matters. If you watch it for 3 or 4 weeks and love the picture then it's a keeper. You can play the "what ifs" untill you are blue in the face and actually read things about your set that are contrary to what you are seeing. You currently have the best opportunity to evaluate that particular set in your home. Watch some movies[Y]

I am currently looking at the new Pannys. Can anyone help me with the differences between the PZ85U and PZ80U? Aside fro the contrast ratio, I can't find too many differences in the specs. Any recommendations?

I am currently looking at the new Pannys. Can anyone help me with the differences between the PZ85U and PZ80U? Aside fro the contrast ratio, I can't find too many differences in the specs. Any recommendations?

AVS forum is a good source for this.

Thanks for the info so far guys. I do like the picture, so not doing too bad so far. I was a bit concerned about the remark about it being discontinued. I checked the model number and I was wrong. It is a TH-C42FD18. So any dish on that?