Cornwall fronts Heresy center and surrounds?

Hey guys,

I've been using a pair of 1977 Heresy's for my fronts with a Polk center and junk surrounds. I was planning on building a matching five Heresy 5.1 set for my home theater. I just heard about Cornwalls this morning. A guy is selling a pair of 1979 Cornwalls about 20 minutes from my house. How would the 79 Cornwalls sound as the fronts, with 77 Heresy's as surrounds?....and a 3rd Heresy in the Center? Better than five Heresy's? I ordered an ED A2-300 sub, but it has not shipped yet so I could cancel that order if necessary If I went with the Cornwalls as fronts, would I still need the big sub? Do the Cornwalls match perfectly with the Heresy's? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. I mainly use the system for movies, concerts, HD TV, etc. Most everything is in 5.1 or DTS.

>Better than five Heresy's?

Fer shure, and yes, they will match. Whether you need a sub or not depends on how much bass outside the normal range of music you need. 32' foot organ pipes or larger and super bassy boom boom tracks on movies will benefit. I use a sub for such things with my K'horns, though it is totally redundant on most all the music repertoire.

However, for the John Wanamaker Organ, the destruction of the Death Star or D Day landings....PRICELESS.

Dave

• Moderators

Thx Dave. My room is 24x16 with 9 ft. celings so I figured the Cornwalls would help fill the room. What is a fair price for 1979 Cornwalls in decent-good condition? He is asking $500.

That's a good price, run !

Our room is 24' wide and 18' deep,and except for one twelve inch pole it's open to another 16' x 24' and Cornwall's have no problem filling both rooms.

I emailed the guy with questions and here was the response. Looks like they are from 1975 if the Cornwall code scheme is the same as Heresy. I have no idea how much the unfinished cabinets reduces the value. What about the woofer replacement? Are these still worth $500?

1) The serial numbers are 7N816 and 7N817
2) The speakers are of the unfinished variety. You can see the plywood edges and the stain on the speakers was NOT factory applied. There are a couple of small scratches on each speaker and a couple of chips near the bottom.
3) All of the components are Klipsch. Due to a factory defect, one of the woofers was replaced very early in the life of these speakers. It was replaced with a Klipsch woofer.
4) I am out of town and unable to send pics. I will try to upload some this weekend.

Final note. As I said, these speakers are acoustically superior. If you are looking for A+ cosmetics, these speakers are not for you. However, if you invest a couple of weekends into refinishing the cabinets, they will look better than new. And they are a steal at the listed price.

"IF YOU SNOOZE YOU LOOSE" those corns are worth every penny the seller is asking woofer replacement is a moot point as it was replaced with a klipsch driver, unfinished and able to see the plywood band on the edges means threy are baltic birch, i paid more than 700.00 for 2 pairs of the same speakers (corn unfinished birch) and i was able to recover every penny when it came time to sell them. the deal sounds good enough to me that if you play around with to many questions and ponder the purchase a little to long you will end up the back up buyer

good luck

Joe

I emailed him stating I want to buy ASAP for $500. How can I tell if the drivers are in good shape? Is there anything in particular I should listen for?

Music. Anything more or less is noise. Use something you are intimately familiar with.

Dave

Run and get the Cornwalls

Put the Heresies as your rears...

Use a Heresey or a vertical Cornwall for your center...

Smile for the rest of your life you did it right the first time... Cornwalls are amazing!

You will still need a sub that is another topic... and your set.