Marantz vs. Onkyo

wuzzzer

I think I've decided to go the surround-sound receiver route with my system. I have narrowed down my choices to a Marantz SR5002 and Onkyo TX-SR805. Both can be had for around $500-600 on eBay.

The reason I picked those is they both have HDMI inputs/output and the ability to decode the newest lossless audio formats. I would eventually like to upgrade my system to a 3.1, 4.1 or 5.1 depending on what I find for a center speaker and/or surround speakers. Both seem to be highly regarded in terms of build quality and sound quality.

I like the Onkyo, being THX Ultra2 certified, 192kHz/24-bit Burr Brown DACs for all channels, 130 watts x 7, Audyssey calibration.

I like the Marantz...hmm, after looking at the features of both, the Onkyo really seems to be a much better receiver than the Marantz. I guess the only thing that would sway me towards the Marantz is if it sounded noticeably better than the Onkyo.

• Moderators

I think the Onkyo has a great bang for your buck. As you have seen, it offers more for your money than the Marantz. If you are looking for mostly movies, the Onkyo will be a great buy. I cannot speak for Marantz but the Onkyo isn't the most musical receiver. As stated many times, the HK receiver that I had sounded so much sweeter in 2/ch setup than my Onkyo. It's not bad, just doesn't have the separation of musical instruments that I found with my HK. I have not heard a Marantz receiver to compare the two. Just my observations on the Onkyo. Good luck.

I liked my Harman/Kardon 2 channel integrated amp that I sold some months back. I do listen to music but my system is mainly used for movies.

This time around I'd like to get something that I will have for a long time. I think the Onkyo might be the ticket. I can pick one up factory refurb'd from Onkyo for $549 shipped. Onkyo's site says "Free ground shipping on remote
controls, owners manuals and extended warranties or any other
purchases totaling $99.00 or greater in the continental United
States only." I'm assuming that would apply to this receiver, which is sweet considering that its shipping weight is 60 pounds!

If you could spend just a little more, the 7002 is a powerhouse. You can find em sometimes for around 800 bucks. NOt a huge stretch from where you are at now and it will STOMP both receivers. It also will stomp pretty much anything else out htere sound quality wise.

wouldn't you want the 7002 or 8002 vs the 7001 or 8001? (that is if you went that route) i personally am going the onkyo 805 route and then buying a seperate 3 channel amp (not because i need to, but i want to). i think the total cost will be $1100 so i still come out ahead of buying low end seperates.

wuzzer, they first thing you need to make a decision on is, are you a HT guy or a 2ch guy. if you are anywhere close to a 2ch guy then you might want to invest into a good 2ch (type) avr. i guess the marantz has been discussed as the better 2 ch avr. now if you are a HT guy, (like me) it really doesn't matter what you buy becaue the audio on HT is very noisey and you (most likely) not be able to hear a difference). don't overlook the fact that in HT set up you hear 60%-80% of everything out of your center channel so the debate over the "better sounding" avr really has no merrit.

anyways just my 2 cents, i am sure someone will give me back some change.....

wuzzer, they first thing you need to make a decision on is, are you a HT guy or a 2ch guy. if you are anywhere close to a 2ch guy then you might want to invest into a good 2ch (type) avr. i guess the marantz has been discussed as the better 2 ch avr. now if you are a HT guy, (like me) it really doesn't matter what you buy becaue the audio on HT is very noisey and you (most likely) not be able to hear a difference). don't overlook the fact that in HT set up you hear 60%-80% of everything out of your center channel so the debate over the "better sounding" avr really has no merrit.

I'm both. A 2 channel HT guy. [8-|]

I wouldn't be adding any speakers to my two channel setup for a while, basically until I stumbled on a great deal on eBay/craigslist/here. I would say I'm 80/20 as far as movies/music. What I want is something that I can purchase and then build my system around. In order to fund any purchase made along this route, I will sell my Rotel amp and pre-amp and also my Cambridge Audio CD player. I don't want to give up all that gear and then end up with something I'm going to regret buying.

Home Theatre is over-rated ................ look at the OUTLAW 2 channel Receiver, all the modern features with a fine 2 channel unit ..... Have yet to hear a Home Theatre sound GREAT at 2 channel re-production .......... Good not Great !!!! .... you know what's best for you ...........

• Moderators

well if your 80% HT then i would go with the onkyo 805, you will use it the most in that application. thats my opinion, does it match what you were looking to hear?

I stopped by Circuit City tonight and wandered into the demo room. They had the 805 hooked up to the Polk speakers. I hit play on the dvd player and began to turn up the knob on the volume to a descent level. The demo scene that blew me away (almost literally) was the (forgive me but I do not know what the movie was called) movie where the kung fu guy has a cup of water, throws it in the air, flies around the room, lands, catches the cup of water on the sword, then the room that he is in has some kind of boards that are tied together, they all fall to the ground. Great sound there. Then another scene was two Asian armies that are meeting on the battlefield. Hundreds of thousands of troops pull back their crossbows and load their arrows waiting for the signal to fire. On fire, arrows fly everywhere and begin penetrating a building with people in it. An older man sits on a throne type seat while arrows are flying into the walls around him. Oh my. I was highly impressed with the amount of power the Onkyo delivered to the Polks. I think for HT, you cannot go wrong with that price and that amount of features. Can you get a better 2ch receiver, absolutely but for 20%, does it really matter? LOL.

I'm sure most of you will recognize the scenes that I described. Feel free to chime in with the answers. You will get Double Jeopardy points if you guess them correctly.

why did you quote me? it seems like you were agreeing. i have seen that movie, it's a cool demo. i have even heard bose demo that movie on their 3.1 set up. (it's off topic, but i was impressed with how it did sound like a 5.1, pretty cool).

The demo scene that blew me away (almost literally) was the (forgive me but I do not know what the movie was called) movie where the kung fu guy has a cup of water, throws it in the air, flies around the room, lands, catches the cup of water on the sword, then the room that he is in has some kind of boards that are tied together, they all fall to the ground. I'm sure most of you will recognize the scenes that I described. Feel free to chime in with the answers. You will get Double Jeopardy points if you guess them correctly.

That would be Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon