Thoughts about the Crown XTi 1000

Shodrewken

it's a really good amp except for one thing........its a really bad amp.

that about sums it up.

take care,

roy

Out of all the discussions on the XTI's, that's kind of what I got out of it to a certain extent. [:S]

Good amps.........that test bad........on the "bench test"?

Sooooo, as long as I don't do any testing on them............I'll continue to be satisfied.

Really, why buy a $5000 bad measuring tube amp when you can buy a $500 bad measuring solid state amp. Hey, and since all amps that measure good sound the same, I bet all amps that measure bad sound the same too. It's a win-win!!:)

I already have a yamaha rx-v1700 that I use for my cornwalls and heresys when I have either one hooked up. I was wondering if theres an amp I could add to the yamaha to get some more power to the speakers.

If it fits your budget, you could go for a Yamaha MX-D1. It's only 3 inches tall and puts out 500Wpc, and is a major upgrade in clarity and detail over any receiver. It made my La Scalas sound better and when I hooked one up to my Heresy IIs, it made them sound better, too.

Now I'm using two of these amps with my JubScalas, one for bass and one for treble. Very good sound is an understatement.

They originally retailed for $5000, but you can get new ones online for under $1500 now. When Stereophile reviewed the MX-D1, they described it as "musical, with a sound that's easy to live with" and called it a bargain at $5000.

See: http://search.ebay.com/Yamaha-MX-D1_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40QQsatitleZYamahaQ20MXQ2dD1

I haven't posted about the Crown XTI in a while ...........[:D].....I used to have two of them.

If you are looking for integrated DSP (digital crossover, PEQ, Level adjusting, time delay) for an active biamp situation.........it is a great tool to get you into that club at a low price. It has an excellent user interface for PC control in the Harmon System architect software. I can't say enough for how easy and how well you can control the system with this software. It has a lot of power and controls bass very respectably.

The amp does a lot for someone looking for this type of feature set. It is also a fantastic LOOKING amp.

If you are looking for an amp to give you the micro detail in the mid and high frequency range.......like a detailed home audio product such as a very good sounding s/s or tube amp.............this is NOT the amp for your application. I found the Crown XTI to have a serious lack of detail in this regard......and a pronounced hiss that has been talked about judiciously on the Crown forum. It will not compare to a good home audio amp in the mid and high end. The detail is just not there.