My first true experience with DTS

Youthman

• Moderators

I sat down tonight to watch Hero with Jet Li after visiting Circuit City the other night and watching the demo in their showroom. It looked like it had some great sound effects and so I thought I would run it through my RF-83's. I'm not a fan of subtitles so I watched the movie in English Dolby Digital. The only option for DTS was Chinese with subtitles. The movie had some really good scenes with great sound effects. After the movie, I wanted to compare the two formats. I set my volume on my Onkyo at -10dB which is quite loud for movies.

I jumped to the scene where Jet Li is in the room of scrolls and he stomps his foot down, the cup rises in the air, he flies around the room cutting the spindles of wood, lands and the scrolls fall to the floor in a loud rumble. In English Dolby Digital, it sounded good, but not super impressive. I rewound the scene and switched to Chinese DTS. Oh my goodness! I almost wet myself. It was aLOT louder than the DD at the same volume but the biggest difference was the sharpness of the sword slicing through the cables, then when the cables began to snap, I was wondering if my center channel was going to blow. Nope! The RC-7 and RF-83's handled it without a sign of breakup or distortion. I was blown away by the quality of sound I was hearing. The LFE in the DTS was much stronger as well than in DD.

I'm not sure if all DTS vs DD comparisons are like this but in this movie, DTS was CLEARLY the victor! Just wanted to share my review of the Onkyo TX-SR703 in DTS with the RF-83's, RC-7 and the Velodyne F-1500. Absolutely amazing!

Yeah, I read some in the forums but figured I would share my own experience. Can't wait to one day be able to check out the new HD audio formats.

You thought DD to DTS was a jump, just wait for HD audio and you will once again wet yourself.

Yeah, I read some in the forums but figured I would share my own experience. Can't wait to one day be able to check out the new HD audio formats.

You thought DD to DTS was a jump, just wait for HD audio and you will once again wet yourself.

Lossless is a really nice step up.

The bandwith of the DTS signal is almost double of Dolby. I don't exactly know how that works over the same wires but dolby is at 640k and dts is at 1.2m (rough numbers). The doubling of availible bandwith allows for more encoding and thus the greater detail. Can anyone elaborate further on this?

"The bandwith of the DTS signal is almost double of Dolby. I don't exactly know how that works over the same wires but dolby is at 640k and dts is at 1.2m (rough numbers). The doubling of availible bandwith allows for more encoding and thus the greater detail. Can anyone elaborate further on this?"

DTS had roughly double the bandwidth in the LD days. When DVDs came out they went to half rate so the bandwidth difference between the two is not nearly as big as it was. Bandwidth alone doesn't mean much since the efficiency/quality of the encoder plays a very large roll in all this. For example compare two MP3s at the same data rate but one encoded with xing and the other with LAME. Or even give xing more bandwidth then lame and the lame encoding may still sound better due to better encoding.

DTS has long been know to play games with encodings and levels which makes comparisons difficult since simpe level differences can be heard as differences in sound quality.

For example this comparison is interesting:

http://highfidelityreview.com/tech/germerica.asp

The MLP version is bit perfect (lossless) to what was in the studio. The DD track is far closer to that reference then the DTS encoding was.

Shawn

• Moderators

Thx for the info guys. I am a bit behind in the audio world. Had my older DD Onkyo for awhile. It wasn't until my wife suggested that I build a dedicated theater room in the home we are going to build that I began to revisit the world of audio. I sold my older Onkyo and bought an HK with DTS, then upgraded from there to my current DTS Onkyo. This is just a temporary receiver till we get the house finished, then I will look into upgrading to a current receiver or even a pre/pro setup. Definitely will have an external amp (200 x 5 )either way. I have a long way to go but it will be worth it in the end to finally get everything setup the way I want it.