Vertical Center Channel

pennektj

I have a pair of RF-83s for mains and an RC-64 center channel. In the standard placement of theater speakers the center channel is placed horizontal due to convienence... Ideally you would have three identical speakers to make up your front sound stage.

I am in a position to redo my theater and am going to use an acoustically transparent screen which allow me to place the speakers as I want... (not worried about the look / layout). Is there any issue with taking the RC-64 and setting it up on its end? Will the horn dispersion be affected by being sideways? Anything else I should worry about?

Thanks!

• Moderators

Either way would work. If you really wanted to use it vertical, it would be pretty simple. Remove the four screws from the horn, rotate it 90 degrees and place the screws back in. Less than 3 minutes and you would be done.

The subejt of gret debate. Some sound engineer tried to tell me that not rotating the horn would screw up the dispersion. I said the field would be a little narrower. Anyway I told him to prove it but he never did show me any proof. This was over at www.avsforum.com I wished now that I would of gotten a 3rd RB 61 for a center channel instead of the RC 10. They were about the same size and the wife wasn't keen on the idea of a shelf above the tv and modifing the new stand was out of the question.

I have recently put my centre standing on its side, I have not rotated the horn 90 degrees and to me its sounds the same, tho I am no experrt by any means.

I might try the rotation thingy tonight and see if I can notice any difference.

It looks more difficult than Youthman described , on the RC35 anyway. I took off the protecting cover to see the screws and there are like 6 screws, maybe more I cant remember now, but it is all one piece, it wont be a simple thing as just unscrewing the horn part, well that is what it looks like anyway. We are talking about taking off the screws from the front right? I might just leave it as it is.

• Moderators

Ok...so I'm busted. I didn't actually look to see what was required. LOL. I just looked at my RC-7 and there are 8 hex screws. If I am understanding what other have suggested, you would be rotating the horn frame, not the entire tweeter but I could be wrong.

My only concern with the rotation is not knowing the internal wiring configuration / lengths. What is twisting the horn causes wires to cross over each other in an awkward way that might cause problems... not sure just specualting.

I will give the vertical configuration a shot and if I notcie a different sound I will switch back to horizontal... thanks to everyone for your feedback.

In a "perfect world" you would have the same speaker. left, center, right

The Midrange is where the magic is. In the new Klipsch Palladium speakers, the mid and highs (even for the center) are identical I believe.

Were talking shades here of perception, but trust me and others who have gone the identical route .... When something moves left off screen to the middle to off screen right.... it is seamless and is just WONDERFUL. (not a <insert sound> shhh whoooo shhhhh missmatch!) When a actor moves in the scene around the room. if not identical you will notice it.

For those buying centers in a series... buy at your front levels or go up...but never down a class.. 70% of the dialog and info is in your center. DON"T SKIMP HERE.

my 2 cents

Roger.

• Moderators

In a "perfect world" you would have the same speaker. left, center, right

The Midrange is where the magic is. In the new Klipsch Palladium speakers, the mid and highs (even for the center) are identical I believe.

Were talking shades here of perception, but trust me and others who have gone the identical route .... When something moves left off screen to the middle to off screen right.... it is seamless and is just WONDERFUL. (not a <insert sound> shhh whoooo shhhhh missmatch!) When a actor moves in the scene around the room. if not identical you will notice it.

For those buying centers in a series... buy at your front levels or go up...but never down a class.. 70% of the dialog and info is in your center. DON"T SKIMP HERE.

my 2 cents

Roger.

Good advice there Roger, worth more than the 2 cents you gave it credit for !

Thanks.. I try to be gentile to newbies... I learned a lot fo what I know from others in here too. When THEY see the light go on it is cool too!

If you look at the Klipsch THX HT system, they have the identical speakers too!! (The 650's...)

When I heard it at my local audio store, with three up front at that time RB5's the light went on.... again...

When you think about a movie theater... behind the screen, all three alike....

I see a pattern here.....

When I did it up front for myself... yep .. was the right move.. Three La Scala's rule!