Amp Recommendations Please.

irwin

Last week I picked up a pair of Forte II's.Right now I'm using an old NAD 3120 integrated,which is doing a pretty good job.I would like to go the tube route,

but I'm on a tight budget ($500 max).Any recommendations for a tube integrated.I listen to mostly modern electric blues and classic hard rock like Zeppelin

and Deep Purple.I know I don't need a lot of power,my listening room is 12x16,but I'd like an amp that will be able to do the Forte's lower end justice.

Buckster's named a few. For 500.00 or less you can get a tube amp that will be about 98% as good as anything at any price, IMHO. Further, there are few that are not worthy of consideration. If they've survived the SS purge, there is probably a good reason. Locate something a float it to the Forum. You'll get plenty of advice.

Dave

You can get into one of the vintage rebuilds that Old Buckster has mentioned.

It's sort of hard to find a good enough deal on an original unit and then pay for the rebuild job. By watching the market, Ebay, Audiogon, even the garage sale on this forum, you should be able to run across a nice rebuild that someone else has paid for.

There also may be some current manufacture used units in your price range, too

Just be carful at the $500 price point that you aren't inheriting some problems (read as DON'T trust Ebay that say's refurbished).......might be better off trying to get a good deal on a original Scott and then having it redone by someone very reputable like Criag from NOSValves.

on the other hand if you are paitient there will always be a reputable forum member who has a great piece that just has to much gear and needs to unload something

Don't hate me .....but at that price point there are some great deals on SS gear that sound every bit as good (better in most cases) then tube gear and there will be no maintenance.......For the price I'm blown away by some of the outlaw audio gear......Just my 2 cents......

>.....but at that price point there are some great deals on SS gear that sound every bit as good (better in most cases) then tube gear and there will be no maintenance.......

DON'T BELIEVE HIM!!! [*-)] Seriously, we all have our opinions and you asked about tubes. To some of us (I am one), all SS gear at any price pretty much sounds the same...accurate, quiet, clinical, soulless. If I'd have wanted to cloud the issue, I'd have mentioned that there are digital amps at 100.00 to 500.00 that sound better than any SS at any price and almost as good as tubes. I have one I paid 127.00 for delivered that I use 90% of the time. The rest of the time I switch to my Van Alstine Dynaco ST-70 tube amp driven by a Super PAS4i VT preamp. Best of both worlds...

But that was not your question...

Dave

Shop audiogon tube intergrated section. Research the item and check feedback of the seller. I bought an Onix SP3 and am running it with 350B tubes and am very happy. I got it for $475. http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1220122912 I would rather go new tube integrated than vintage UNLESS it has been completely rebuilt. They can be frusterating to those new to tubes.

I have seriously auditioned a few amps on my big ole horns. (Craig) NOSvalves does list any refurbished vintage integrated tube amplifiers for sale just now, but usually he has a great selection. Because tubes slowly degrade, rather than simply quit all together, like s-s amps, it is very important to have vintage tube amplifiers refurbished. Although chip amps like the Sonic Impact and the Trends have amazing sound quality for their low cost, when vintage integrated tube amplifier are refurbished, they are among the very best sounding amps for the money.

For a few bucks more you should look at OUTLAW AUDIO RR2150 ....... Yes, it's only 2 channel, but what a sweet unit. Many modern features, 100 watts per, Bass management circuit , FM tuner, Remote .................. very nice indeed ........... Solid State, but don't hold that against it ..... take a look ... www.outlawaudio.com ... If my Scott went down, I would buy one of these, ......... (still might)

Oldbuckster,

Have you heard the RR2150? A friend who has a better ear than I do does not like the outlaw stuff generally. He says it can be "bright". What is your experience? I would like to upgrade my surround amp and preamp and the specs on th outlaw look great. But you have to pay for shipping to audition them.

It's the best sounding NON-Tube unit I've heard in quite awhile ............. A close friend just bought a B-Stock unit from them, he likes it so much, he has retired his Scott ....... many new modern features on it ................. if I was in the market I would buy one, still might later on. They give you 30 days to return it for ANY reason, including not liking it. Most on this forum have good words for them ............ just throwing ideas your way, you have final word. My buddy is running 4 Heresy III's ................

Thanks for all the advise.I think I'd avoid the vintage stuff.Too many potential problems.If I decide to go with tubes,I'll try to stay with something fairly new.

As I stated in my initial post I'm looking for a solid low end,and unfortunatly the 2 tube amps that I have owned fell short in that department.Maybe I'll take a look at a gainclone.Are any of you using them ?

I'm a big fan of the Dynaco ST35 (either stock 7247 form, or using the DIYTube ST35 board). Mine are using a more-or-less stock circuit with a better PSU section, better passive components, better layout and individual (fixed) cathode biasing. See below:

Custom Dynaco ST35

The Z565 OPTs are some of the best transformers ever wound (and the best that Dynaco ever wound) and the EL84 tubes are to my ear a good match for my Heresy IIs and do quite well with Zeppelin. Granted, I'm reinforcing them with a subwoofer. [:P]

-Derek

>.....but at that price point there are some great deals on SS gear that sound every bit as good (better in most cases) then tube gear and there will be no maintenance.......

DON'T BELIEVE HIM!!!  Confused  Seriously, we all have our opinions and you asked about tubes.  To some of us (I am one), all SS gear at any price pretty much sounds the same...accurate, quiet, clinical, soulless.  If I'd have wanted to cloud the issue, I'd have mentioned that there are digital amps at 100.00 to 500.00 that sound better than any SS at any price and almost as good as tubes.  I have one I paid 127.00 for delivered that I use 90% of the time.  The rest of the time I switch to my Van Alstine Dynaco ST-70 tube amp driven by a Super PAS4i VT preamp.  Best of both worlds...

But that was not your question...

Dave

Fine, don't believe me........I love when you Quote only part of a post...Then post a "roll eyes" When clearly my first two paragraphs were giving IMO solid advice about tubes!!!! [:^)]

the poster was clearly asking for advice so I gave it....He has a five hundred dollar budget and now that the gloves are off....unless he gets very very lucky, or wins the dumpster lottery and puts a minimum of all $500 into refurb ....he's asking for nothing but heartache! Dont know what SS amps you have been listening to but i have a mac and a sansui under $500 each(with servicing) that will give any ..any sub $1K tube amp that I have listened to a good run for the money ....

The Outlaw that Oldbuckster was referring to is a killer amp....i compared it side by side to a pair of VRD monos and while the VRDs were awesome...the Outlaw was no slackard......there wasn't that OMG one is great and the other is crap.....though different I liked both very much....

i love the sound of tubes....Will have over $2k in my Sansui au-111 by the time I'm done........Had a Mac Mc 275....and will be buying VRD's in the fall (if all goes well)....after that I plan on building a TS OTL just for giggles......But My duty beast Sansui SS will always stay in the line up because it sounds that great .....TO ME....

Edit**** My apologies to the original poster....during my rant I did not see your additional post about not wanting to go the vintage route.....Sorry for clouding the issue