More Ice Cream

arfandbark

Bought another pair of speakers. Genesis IIs. Concave tweeter, 8" woof and a passive radiator. Made in the late '70's.

Ran them thru a Kenwood 4070 way back when. Then they were stolen. My wife at the time bought me a pair of Yamaha NS8s to replace them and of course I told her they were no good (they weren't Genesis IIs). Maybe that was the beginning of the end.

Speakers ARE like ice cream. I have many flavors already, but I'm looking forward to tasting this again. It's been 25 years.

Again, maybe it was the synergy between the 4070 and the Genesis IIs.

Like Harman Kardon Twin Powered and Klipsch.

Maybe it was youth. We shall see. I know they won't be Cornwalls or Heresys but I know I"ll keep these speakers just for the nostalgia and play them often.

I had a pair of these back in the 70's as well - they were my first decent pair of speakers, $400 new I believe. Nice sound, my brother currently has them, but they are in need of surround replacements, as there's some serious foam-rot going on.

Now that you guys have figured that out... I'll give you this.

http://graeters.com/

They'll even ship in dry ice to your home (just make sure UPS/Fed ex does "next" day delivery as in some locations like where I live, "next day" is still "second" day and that's an issue)

GOOD stuff!!! I'll be stopping by there this weekend on my way home from Ohio to TN. (I also stopped there yesterday on my way from TN to Indianapolis [Y])

Notice their 'chip' flavors.... as they're making them they actually pour the liquid chocolate into the mix and let it freeze as it may. The chip flavors sometimes have pieces of chocolate in them that are near 1/4 size of a Hershey bar

Geez, you guys are evil. Tempted with speakers and ice cream. Just what I need, to be even fatter and more broke. Thanks for the offer arfandbark, it would be my brothers call. I've seen complete refoam kits on e-bay, fairly inexpensive with detailed instructions. The guy even says he'll provide phone support if you need it, so we may go that route.

I feel like I lost my best friend. I don't get to eat ice cream any more. Guess I had my share already...[:'(]

That's exactly how felt when my wife and I gave up drinking. Of course it was for the best (she needed to stop in order to kick the smoking habit, and I joined her in support). I miss having a nice single malt and a stout. If you happen to drink, Colter, have one for me and I'll have a couple of scoops for you.

I suppose things did get a bit off topic :)

You know it was this thread that reminded me that his speakers were in such bad condition. He's so busy with my neice and nephew (sports), I don't think he ever gets a chance to sit down and listen to music anymore. Perfect time for me to pick up the Genesis and fix 'em up for him. This would be my first refoam, but I have a couple of good friends that are experienced and could help me through any tough spots.

You know it was this thread that reminded me that his speakers were in such bad condition. He's so busy with my neice and nephew (sports), I don't think he ever gets a chance to sit down and listen to music anymore. Perfect time for me to pick up the Genesis and fix 'em up for him. This would be my first refoam, but I have a couple of good friends that are experienced and could help me through any tough spots.

Please refrain from re-hijacking your thread for the sake of post counts... [;)]

Please refrain from re-hijacking your thread for the sake of post counts... Wink

Kindly discontinue the practice of chiding others for refraining from re-hijacking threads for additional cheap posts.

Please refrain from re-hijacking your thread for the sake of post counts... Wink

Kindly discontinue the practice of chiding others for refraining from re-hijacking threads for additional cheap posts.

Please, people! I cannot condone those who disapprove of the practice of chiding others for refraining from the re-hijacking of threads for additional cheap posts (myself excluded of course).

Blvdre,

Refoam kits are available thru Human Speakers, who is devoted to vintage EPI and Genesis.

He sells replacement speakers, crossovers, etc, if anything is in question.

I received a pair of EPI T/E 100+'s today from HarryO. They are playing now thru a Scott 350R receiver.

This is going to be my garage stereo. Most don't have this in their living room, much less a garage.

According to fedex, my Genesis II's will arrive tomorrow. I have a Harman Kardon 930 waiting for them.

No, they won't replace my Cornwalls. I know that. I also know that I am not a Klipsch and nothing else person, either.

My reference to ice cream was supposed to mean that some speakers have qualities that others don't. Right room, right receiver/amp, whatever.

I don't like it when people jump in and redirect my thread (not to say you did), but when it happens, and it has before, I feel like I'm not socially accepted by the forum as it is.

Let me tell you, I'm not gonna buy a multi- thousand dollar pair of Klipsches, nor am I gonna buy 50 pair of vintage Klipsch speakers. Nope.

I could care less what everyone else thinks about my equipment. I certainly am not making them listen to it. Nor would they.

I'm not ripping you on this, Bldre, I'm sorry if it sounds that way. You aren't the issue here.

I've whined enough.

No offense taken. I'm still a newbie here myself, and can appreciate what you're saying. Having said that though, I can already tell that this is a close-knit supportive community (thanks for the e-mail Michael!), and those that re-direct mean no harm. A little gentle re-directing can get things back on track. And sometimes I'm guilty of re-directing, so pot and kettle black, etc.

Thanks for the head's up on Human Speakers. I still have to ask my brother about his Genesis (saw him last weekend, forgot to mention it). I may have to resort to a sticky note applied to my forehead :) Funny coincidence, when I first bought my Genesis, I ran them on a Scott receiver, then upgraded to a Harmon Kardon.

Thanks OB. I've got pretty thick skin, so no offense taken. As I get older, I like to think that I'm getting more crotchety (after all, it's the right and duty of the elderly!), but find that I'm more tolerant than ever....except for those damn kids walking across my lawn..."Hey! Get the hell off my lawn you little bastards!" :)

Thanks OB. I've got pretty thick skin, so no offense taken. As I get older, I like to think that I'm getting more crotchety (after all, it's the right and duty of the elderly!), but find that I'm more tolerant than ever....except for those *** kids walking across my lawn..."Hey! Get the hell off my lawn you little bastards!" :)

What did my dad call them?.......oh yeah, Punks!

"hey don't let me catch you hangin around those punks!!!"......It's funny that we all turn into our dad's.....

My buddy had those exact speakers with the inverted soft dome tweeter positioned between a green surround 8" (on top) and a 10" on the bottom. He had a high speed Kenwood receiver I forget the model number but it could have been the same one you are talking about. He also had a Soundcraftsmen equalizer and perhaps a Kenwood or Technics turntable it sounded outstanding! I hope they sound as good as you remember. My first decent speakers were a small pair of AR18a's with a Pioneer flouroscent (blue LED power meters) SA-3800?

My wife's friend has an older pair EPI Magnum's she wants to part with. I got the woofers refoamed for her about a year ago.

I would love to lay my hands on old vintage a/d/s speakers like the L910's or L980's they were and still are some of my favorites. I got hooked once I heard their unbelievable mini speakers the L200's and L300's.

Now as far as ice cream is concerned hard to beat Ben & Jerry's made right in my area here in Vermont with fresh ingredients and local dairy products. Yum!