Where to set the volume ?

dtel

• Moderators

I am using a t-amp with a portable CD player in the workshop.

I am plugging the t-amp into the headphone jack of the CD player which also has a volume control, what should the volume on the CD player be set at ?

If I have the volume set on the t-amp and change the volume on the CD player the sound from the speakers increase.

The quality of the sound does not change when I turn up the CD player, just the volume, but does it hurt the t-amp to have the volume up to 50% on the Cd player ?

dtel,

I think it would probably work best to let the T-amp provide most of the gain.

I'd suggest to try setting the T-amp volume about 75 or 80%. That's always a guess as to what knob position actually is.

From zero, turn up the CDP volume until it is driving the speakers about as loud as you'd want to hear it. Then back down the T-Amp volume to the level you want to hear.

Of course, just listening to see what sounds best is a can't go wrong plan, either.

you should crank the CD player full blast for best S/N ratio and gain staging. It should not clip the inputs of the Tamp, that's what it's built for. If you hear distortion with the Tamp turned up moderately, reduce the CD volume until it goes away.

then buy an iPod

When running my iPod into my T-amp ... I run the iPod volume at 3/4..... and the T-amp wherever it needs to be. My thought is .... the tiny amp in the iPod is struggling at full volume ...

I also never run the T-amp over 3/4 .... on battery power I can make it clip .. (but i believe you use a wallwart)

This is how I do it .. I have no science to back it up.

There are two issues. The first is maximizing S/N and Michael is quite correct - turn up the source to max.

The other is the relation of source impedance to load impedance. Again, it probably best to to turn the source to its max level. Obviously if this leads to clipping (too much input to the amp or the input itself is clipping - but this is unlikely), then decrease the source. Regarding the last point, it depends on how the volume control (resistor pot) is implemented as to whether the impedance changes with position (and whether the effect is outside the audio range ...)

Good Luck,

-Tom

I also go 3/4 volume in my offshore computer lab. I run a CD walkman and an Ipod. Both seem to sound best at about 3/4. If you can live with the volume, I wouldn't go more.

Offshore system: JVC Ax-518, CD Walkman, Ipod, Advent Marbl's, Home brew sub w/ 2- 12" Punch P-1 tuned at 28 Hz

• Moderators

Thanks everybody, after using it for a while it got me thinking, I do that on occasion. [A] I was getting way more volume than I expected from a t-amp, from what I had read about them distorting at higher volume. It is plugged into 110v/wallwart and that helps but it does not distort at 95% or more volume, and you would hear it with a Bob's CT-125's and K400 horns.

I guess the volume goes back to Klipsch's efficiency, and the MWM bass bins are even more efficient than their average cabinet. It gets loud and is always clear without the slightest bit of sounding stressed. It looks strange to see that little CD player and t-amp on that big pile of speakers...Efficiency !

Thanks !