2500 mile road trip for a early 50's Klipschorn

BadDad

Just bought my first complete Klipschorn the other day. My wife (bless her soul) will be making this road trip with me. Looks like a very nice, in almost pristine shape Klhorn maybe 1953 or 54. Original owner just passed away and he was 94 years old and had it from new. Will post follow up photos and give update on the trip and the resulting wifes happiness or lack thereof She's a great gal for putting up with all of this. Will also be driving through Hope, AR on the trip and planning on making a stop to see the birthplace of the speaker. Wish me luck and any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks BadDad

post-27166-13819382082062_thumb.jpg

post-27166-1381939347267_thumb.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indianapolis to a little south of San Antonio Tx. I have a 2004 Pontiac Vibe. Crawled into the back tonight and measured every direction. Barely fits with maybe room for a small gym bag. No room for deoderant or underware though. Measured on the current Khorns. The 50's models are the same size as the modern one's right? If push comes to shove the tophat will be strapped on the roof.

Godspeed BadDad

If you can, find out what music the previous owner played through your vintage Klipsch find and blast some of that occasionally for good Karma.

For me it's Mahler. The owner of my 77 KBWO's played for our symphony and loved Mahler. He died prematurely in his 40's and I purchased my Khorns from his sister who had them in storage for 7 years. When she told me about her brother I promised her I'd play Mahler through them occasionally.

She wept and hugged me.

Write back about your journey and remember to take some soft blankies.

Michael

Indianapolis to a little south of San Antonio Tx. I have a 2004 Pontiac Vibe. Crawled into the back tonight and measured every direction. Barely fits with maybe room for a small gym bag. No room for deoderant or underware though. Measured on the current Khorns. The 50's models are the same size as the modern one's right? If push comes to shove the tophat will be strapped on the roof.

I've road tripped a few pairs.

Keep in mind the tops sperate with wing nuts.

So basically you need floor space for the bottom sections which I usally lay face down and the top sections which I usally stand on end face down.

I use two layers of half inch foam sheets on the floors. one layer is cut full size of my floor. The second layer is cut the size of each khorn. I put the khonrs width wise on the second layer sheeting and slide the sheeting back, then put the next one in.

using sheets and blankets only is not enough.

your going to have to padd the sides all around of the 4 pieces becuase they will move big time on the road.

5000 miles round trip...thats a long haul.

I was wondering if you had the pair that were in MA.

This could possibly go very bad quick. Dealing with a lawyer in California that is setting her fathers estate in Texas. Hope her brother in Texas lets me take it. Wants to Paypal before delivery but I'm hesitating paying before I see.

• Moderators

" No room for deoderant or underware though."

You might want to squeeze in the deodorant if the wife is going with you on the trip ! [:|] Ask her, I am sure she will find room.

This could possibly go very bad quick. Dealing with a lawyer in California that is setting her fathers estate in Texas. Hope her brother in Texas lets me take it. Wants to Paypal before delivery but I'm hesitating paying before I see.

Hope all that works out. If they insist on paypal payment first, it might work to suggest a win-win situation. They might accept an offer to receive "earnest money" on paypal with the balance to be paid in cash on pick up.

Sounds like a great trip. Stopping in Hope is perfect. That would work OK even for overnight, if you want to break up the trip. If you like Mexican food, check out Amigo Juan's in Hope. They have a Klipsch room with Heresy's and pics of Mr. Paul. Don't know if the speakers are hooked up, but they are there. Amigo Juan's has fresh strawberry punch, too. Quite refreshing!

baddad,

I just noticed your tagline. Have you got a Will Vincent rebuild?

Baddad has a very nice Will Vincent Baldwin rebuild and a pair of the big 555-10 monoblock Baldwins I built for him.

The Vincent Baldwin is an excellent amp. I got to demo it for a week right before the pilgrimage. You can't beat them for the buck. Recommended highly and unbeatable in class and build quality.

In case you're not familiar with Will Vincent he's a top notch quality guy and extremely knowledgeable in this field.

Will has helped me with a couple of circuit problems with the Baldwins and is always helpful and friendly.

I just got off the phone with Baddad (Glenn). He's having a ball.

Tire trouble left him in a fix! Needless to say his spare is under the Khorn and in his small vehicle he can't safely retrieve his spare.

A can of Fix-a-flat got him to the hotel. It was late and all repair facilities were closed. (I did the same thing last year driving back from Mississippi).

Next stop for him is Hope.

Harry

Spending the night in Hope, AK with K-horn serial #208 in the trunk. Vintage K-horn from 1951. Wife let me skip going to the mall for the day. We went to the Bass Pro shop in Dallas instead. She put her foot down when we started looking at the boats, dragged me outa there quick. Had dinner tonight at Amigo Juan's in Hope. Skipped the punch but had some killer fajitas.