La Scala II with 300B SET Amps

Those were a nice sounding pair of Moondogs. I remember them, too.

As others have said, 300Bs and La Scalas will be wonderful. I've used that tube, single-ended, with Klipschorns with great results, and find even the tiny handful of watts from the Moth amp I made incredible.

Very nice work on those tops with the Altecs, BTW! (....just don't touch that autoformer in the crossover!) ;)

Here's my beloved Moth 2A3, mildly modified.

post-10533-1381939358514_thumb.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We also shouldn't neglect to mention that while Klipsch Heritage speakers are among the several 'out there' that will work well with low power amps using triodes like the 45, 2A3, and 300B, there are MANY extremely good sounding push-pull amps that Klipsch owners love. I use and enjoy both, and can't help but admit that there can be a subjective improvement in low-end response and control with more powerful amplification. That has been my impression, but there are of course other factors other than just watt-strength associated with that, but I just wanted to mention that it might be an idea to audition some different topologies and tube-types if possible. Even small 6BQ5s in push-pull can be very impressive, as can EL-34s, 6L6s, and so forth.

Discussions over power have been interesting over the years; though ludicrous is probably more of an accurate description than 'interesting.'

Have fun!

Erik

PS: Look at all the tubes on this single-ended amp! it gets very warm for not even 2 watts per channel, but those two watts are among the very best I have ever heard, and you don't have to worry about the quality of output iron. It doesn't use it.

post-10533-1381939358601_thumb.jpg

Those were a nice sounding pair of Moondogs.  I remember them, too.

As others have said, 300Bs and La Scalas will be wonderful.  I've used that tube, single-ended, with Klipschorns with great results, and find even the tiny handful of watts from the Moth amp I made incredible.

Very nice work on those tops with the Altecs, BTW!  (....just don't touch that autoformer in the crossover!) ;)

What a beauty. I never heard the Moth 2a3, but I've always admired their Jules Verne approach to design.

Thanks I may try other amps in the future but I already own the Cary 300SE monoblocks. They've been sitting idol for a few years waiting for the right speaker. Nice decorative touch atop my record shelves. But now they may finally get some use. I'll post again after the LSII's come in. Thanks to all for the help.

Those were a nice sounding pair of Moondogs. I remember them, too.

As others have said, 300Bs and La Scalas will be wonderful. I've used that tube, single-ended, with Klipschorns with great results, and find even the tiny handful of watts from the Moth amp I made incredible.

Very nice work on those tops with the Altecs, BTW! (....just don't touch that autoformer in the crossover!) ;)

Keep those Moth amps as now that Moth is defunct. I thought their work was Art.

Thanks I may try other amps in the future but I already own the Cary 300SE monoblocks. They've been sitting idol for a few years waiting for the right speaker. Nice decorative touch atop my record shelves. But now they may finally get some use. I'll post again after the LSII's come in. Thanks to all for the help.

LOL just sitting around!!!!!!!!

I've heard the Cary 300SE and really enjoyed them. The LaScala II's are beautiful. I heard the entire revamped Heritage line in Hope 2006. The LaScala II was the most improved out of the line up. The thicker bass bins were a great idea.

Thanks for the input. I know it's wrong to let such beautiful amps lay idol, but I bought the Cary 300's a few years ago to use with a pair of Cain & Cain Abbeys in a small room. When I moved the audio system to a larger room, a renovated detached garage (16W x 26L x 10H), the Abbeys didn't cut it, except for nearfield listening. I retired the Carys and Abbeys in favor of Manley 250's and Vandersteen 3A's. I kept the Cary's with the intention of bringing them back some time. I'm hoping the LaScala II's driven by the 300SE's will fill the big room.

"Keep those Moth amps as now that Moth is defunct. I thought their work was Art."

Absolutely. I have no intention of ever selling it. My wife arranged with Moth for us to purchase one of the last available, and I bought the parts, chassis, and schematic to put it together myself for a savings. With regulated DC filaments for both the input and output tubes (2A3s are usually heated with AC), it's among the most quiet SET amps I have heard. Welborne Labs DRDs, and the Wright 2A3 monoblocks I've had here were also very quiet.

I can't remember the name of the person who helped with the aesthetic aspect of Moth components, but they really are very Jules Verne-like. They formed a new company called Eddie Current (that's a bit of a pun, as some will catch) that specializes more on headphone amps, which is also how my 2A3 is setup. It's a great headphone amp.

I can't remember the name of the person who helped with the aesthetic aspect of Moth components, but they really are very Jules Verne-like.  They formed a new company called Eddie Current (that's a bit of a pun, as some will catch) that specializes more on headphone amps, which is also how my 2A3 is setup.  It's a great headphone amp.

Joel Marshall

Thanks again for the interesting thread (I'm the newbie that started it). I enjoyed seeing all the great tube amps. I pulled the trigger and ordered a pair of the new LaScala II's from a local dealer here in NJ. Good price and delivered to my door. I'll report back after I fire them up with the 300B's.

Thanks again for the interesting thread (I'm the newbie that started it). I enjoyed seeing all the great tube amps. I pulled the trigger and ordered a pair of the new LaScala II's from a local dealer here in NJ. Good price and delivered to my door. I'll report back after I fire them up with the 300B's.

Boy are you going to be in audio heaven!!!!! you won't want to leave the house!!!

you've made a great choice that will give you more enjoyment than you can imagine.......Congrats

Excellent!!! What veneer? The 300B's are my favorite tube so far. Let us know what you think.

Geesh, did the LS II really go up $500 per pair in price? Yeouch!

Yup everything is going up as the dollar plumits into the abyss. Heritage Klipsch like the La Scala II's are among the best buys in the Hi-Fi market IMO.