Juicy Music and Mcintosh

kuisis

I just received my Peach and hooked it up to my MC250.  Sounds lots better than when I connected it directly to the source.  I wonder if anybody else out there has used this combo and can offer any tips.

Thanks

Tom

As in you hooked a cd player up to the MC250.?....I had a Mc2505 and MCD 7007 that I hooked that way but the 7007 had a variable gain out....Liked it better through a pre..

Don't know what you are using, but some CD players have rather high gain out that when hooked direct to an amp may sound "Louder"......

Is your peach new?? I would talk to Mark D directly...that is a very nice pre and there is no reason that the combo would not work well together if all is in order....are you using the Hi Z mode?

I just meant that before I had the Peach I had hooked my CD player directly to the amp, the gain controls were used like left and right channel volume. The peach sounds alot better, more clarity and smoothness than the direct connection.

I totally read your post wrong.... I thought that you were saying that your system sounded better without the peach.....nevermind....of course it sounds great!

I'm glad you like it ....The BBX II is tops on my list for my next upgrade All the Juicy Music products that I have heard are awesome!!! ....Just found out today my Prize Bitc-h bulldog tore her ACL and needs $2500-$5000 in surgery to correct it......I'll know in two weeks how much it's going to set me back......

I totally read your post wrong.... I thought that you were saying that your system sounded better without the peach.....nevermind....of course it sounds great!

I'm glad you like it ....The BBX II is tops on my list for my next upgrade All the Juicy Music products that I have heard are awesome!!! ....Just found out today my Prize Bitc-h bulldog tore her ACL and needs $2500-$5000 in surgery to correct it......I'll know in two weeks how much it's going to set me back......

Ouch!

I have not heard the JM/MC combo, but it must sound stellar. I have MC30's and MX110 pre, also a great combo. I think that a JM pre will be a bit faster and clearer. They are beautiful pieces of work. No contest , as the MX110 is forty years old and a great piece as well.

I have a friend who purchased a Peach and VRD amp pair a couple of years ago. While the VRDs were being built, I got the opportunity to sample the MC250 with the new Peach.

Prior to that trial, I had been running my Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD direct into the amp, using the amp's gains as volume. It was good - although just a bit "clinical". The installation of the Peach added just enough of that triode "bloom" and air to give life to the music, without getting "in the way" otherwise. The Peach is most impressive for a unit of it's price. One will spend much more attempting to meet or improve on the sonics of JM preamps through other, more "established" manufacturers.

I did find it necessary to adjust the gain knobs on both gears to find the optimal sonic balance and lack of background noise. The MC250 has a very sensitive input, 0.5V to full power, so a bit of time adjusting these will have you finding the optimum combo of quiet background and "range of volume". This keeps your system from being blaringly loud when your Peach volume knob is at the 9 O'clock position, for example.

I now have an MX110 and MC30 power amps in that system (the MX110 being markedly different from a Peach in all respects, yet no less pleasurable). I have ideas on mating a JM preamp with my VRDs in another system, so I'll have the "vintage tonality" of the Mac and the modern, more "audiophile/technically correct" modern approaches. If one seeks to split some of these differences in a more modest and cost effective package, the original poster's approach is a good way to do this.

Like minds^^^ A.N.

I was on the Mac train but sold my MC 275 a while back and held onto my MC 2505....Now I'm really into the vintage Sansui thing and have obtained an original AU-111 very rare 6L6 based integrated that I will use with my Cornwalls, Revox B77, and hopfully a nice thorens TD 124 and that will be my 100% 60's-70's vintage set up.

And Side by side I will eventually complete my modern set up wih Khorns, BBX II , VRD's and leaning towards VPI scout.....should be nice to go back and forth between vintage and modern.......