Oris Ultra VS. Lascalas

tim3

As you all know,I've been trying to make my Cornscalas more effecient w/ no great luck.A member stated that maybe I should look for a different speaker.Since Klipsch has only one upgrade(K's) at 104 db.,I'm looking at this Oris Ultra system that states it's 110 db.It's on Audiogon,item # 1222612880,Does anyone have an opinion on this system.Do you think it's really 110 db.,is it worth me paying $4000 + w/ shipping & I listen to R & R for the most part.I definately don't want to consider this unless I'm going to notice a big improvement.Any help is appreciated.Thanks,Tim.

I really do appreciate those who point out the possibility of hearing loss at high db's,& I do know that.For me & what I want in my dream speaker is,it's like owning a Corvette.You allready have 400 horse power,but there are people out there that will slap a blower on top.You may only put the pedal to the metal once every year,but you want to know it's there when you want it.Again,I listen to mostly R & R,& once in a blue moon,I'll turn the volume up until the distortion lights on my 2 bridged Bryston 4B's start to flicker & I don't dare to turn it up any louder fearing damaging the amps.In those few cases,I would like to turn it up just a little more,hence wanting 110 db.'s instead of 104 db.'s.Does this make any sense or will the 110 db. speakers not give me what I'm looking for?Thanks,Tim.P.S.If the vette anolagy does'nt work,try this.When I was in jr. high school,I bench pressed 375 lbs.Most average men in the gyms at that time(1980)did'nt do that.But it showed me I could do what many could'nt(I know it was'nt rocket science,but it was something I excelled at).I ended up benching 650 lbs. at 220 lb. body weight.A lot may ask why would anyone want to bench press 650 lbs.?I guess it goes to the old answer(forgive me for being crued)it's the same reason a dog cleans itself(you know what the real answer is,again forgive the cruedness)because it can.That's the only reason I want the system I'm looking for.I hope this made any sense.Thanks,Tim.

Perhaps there's a different way to look at your situation. It appears that what you want is volume and lots of it. Sensitivity comes into play when you're calculating how many watts will be needed to produce how many dB of volume. This is more important when you have limited amplifier power available.

Since you have reasonably high-powered amps, sensitivity of the speakers is less of an issue than their maximum output. La Scalas and Klipschorns can put out a continuous 121dB with a suitable amp, 2dB more than a Cornwall III. Would that be loud enough for you? Maybe that's the spec you should be looking at.

I have to say that your approach to music appreciation is a little different. Going fast in a car (or on a motorcycle) can be a lot of fun, but turning up your stereo to deafening levels isn't the same thing. There are dB competitions for car audio systems, but who does that at home?

You could save yourself a lot of money by just sitting closer to your speakers, since the volume drops off as the square of the distance, meaning twice as close is four times as loud. If you only want extreme volume occasionally, why not just try that?

Tim,

My take is that the Oris system would not merit $4K for improvement over what you're listening to right now.

Khorns could be done for alot less than that. I think you might enjoy the horn loaded bass in contrast with the cornscalas. In addition to the cleaner bass, they have a bigger sound. Tucked into the corners, they load the room in a way that CW's or even Lascalas just can't manage.

To improve over Khorns, Jubilee's can be at your door for $7K. I've heard these things and they are absolutely killer.

There have been some folks turning out impressive sound with LaScala bass bin topped with a Jubilee HF. I don't know what would prevent satisfactory results doing the same thing with a cornscala bass bin. Klipsch theatre products have something that looks like this.

MaxSPL is a function of both sensitivity and power handling...

From
what it sounds like, I think your best bet would be to start looking
into some professional speakers. If you want your rock and roll to
sound like it does at the huge performance venues, then you need to
start busting out the same equipment.

What kind of budget are we
looking at here? Depending on your price range I might be able to offer
some suggestions of speakers that will both sound awesome, but play
loud enough to make your forehead bleed.

Also, are aesthetics a concern?

And where are you located? (for audition purposes)

Perhaps you've stated that somewhere already and i missed it...if so, my apologies... maybe you could fill out your profile a bit more and I'd stop asking the same question....[:P]

Try running more than one pair! You should hear my living room when I get all 7 Heritage speakers going plus the two Velodyne 15" Servo Subs. Talk about real concert levels I got 'um! Feeding them from a Sherbourn 7/2100A 200W x 7 True Monoblock amplifier and they can perform at the continuous 125db without any distortion or hiccup. Just did a jam session a couple of weekends ago when the wife and daughter were out. WOW! is all I can say.

Good luck with your quest for deafness! Spend the $4K on a uber car system and you can jam to your hearts content. My car was clean, clear and loud and rivaled the home Klipsch's when done properly.

Although I love DJK's vented La Scala specs above - Wow killer!