Would Greatly Appreciate Help Choosing An Amp

theclipper

Hi,

I am new here. I have been browsing for a bit and just last weekend ended up buying some Forte II's after the almost universal praise on here. I hooked them up and have been really enjoying them. I have a Rega P1 TT and have them hooked to a Kenwood VR507 reciever right now. So my question is, what is a good reciever at about $200 or under that would really make these sound better? I am thinking I will go with an older used model. The guy at my local shop reccomended I get the NAD 7150, is that any good? One other thing I thought of, is a preamp at all necessary? Also, would something in this price range actually make an audible difference over the Kenwood I have now? I would really appreciate any input at all as I am not very well versed in Hi-Fi yet.

Thanks

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I am new here. I have been browsing for a bit and just last weekend ended up buying some Forte II's after the almost universal praise on here. I hooked them up and have been really enjoying them. I have a Rega P1 TT and have them hooked to a Kenwood VR507 reciever right now. So my question is, what is a good reciever at about $200 or under that would really make these sound better? I am thinking I will go with an older used model. The guy at my local shop reccomended I get the NAD 7150, is that any good? One other thing I thought of, is a preamp at all necessary? Also, would something in this price range actually make an audible difference over the Kenwood I have now? I would really appreciate any input at all as I am not very well versed in Hi-Fi yet.

Thanks

In my oppinion, your Kenwood is by far your weakest link. I have always thought of Kenwood as "pushy button" and a compromise in sound. NAD is good cheaper used gear, although I am not familiar with the particular model you are asking about. Unless it has sentimental reasons for being in the house, I would sell the receier and get the amp. Do you listen to anything at all through your system besides the vynl??

Roger

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies. As of right now I think I will just be listening to vinyl but there is always the possibility I may end up hooking up my cd player down the line. But yeah, this is mainly just for vinyl. I think I want to keep this at $300 maximum, unless a little more money means much better sound. Any ideas?

Vintage receivers like the Harman Kardon H/K 430, 630, 730 and 930 all are excellent performers on Klipsch and come in way under budget, but they will outperform their thrifty price tags. McIntosh MA5100 integrateds can sometimes be found for about $325 w/o wood cabinet, and it is an excellent amp. Both the H/K's and Macs have excellent phono stages too. Tubes maybe a good option, but I'm not sure what's available in that price range.

You can ebay the Kenwood for partial recoupe of your investment. If you look for a Nakamichi TA4A Reciever on Ebay, a very nice example will bring about $400 if you can swing it, and they have a very top shelf phono section. (the Nakamichi Dragon turn tables still bring $10,000) The TA-4A receiver has 100 watts per channel of clean power that will make you think your Forte's are a completely different speaker. The Nakamichi TA-3A is 60 watts per channel and could be bought for $300 or less, but swing for the 4A if you can. My sisters husband owned a 3A since new, and I had a TA-4A since new that I sold my sister with the Quartets that I bought new. Now they have both models still. When new, I paid $1100 for the Quartets of the showroom floor, and the Nakamichi TA-4A was$1,250, bought same place, same time.

Roger

eBay
ltCurve.gif An eBay member wants to show you this item rtCurve.gif
Hi, I saw this item on eBay and thought you might be interested.

s.gif
Nakamichi TA-4a Stereo Receiver STASIS Amp TA4a 4e TA-4
Current price:
$273.50
End time: Aug-04-08 19:24:05 PDT
Add to watch list | See similar items
Check out this item
s.gif
btnShowMe.gif

Learn More to protect yourself from spoof (fake) emails.

This email sent through the eBay platform from a sender who thinks you are likely to be interested in this information. eBay takes no liability for sending this email or its content.

You can report this message as unsolicited (spam/spoof) email.

Copyright © 2008 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc. eBay Inc. is located at 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125.
forums

You can ebay the Kenwood for partial recoupe of your investment. If you look for a Nakamichi TA4A Reciever on Ebay, a very nice example will bring about $400 if you can swing it, and they have a very top shelf phono section. (the Nakamichi Dragon turn tables still bring $10,000) The TA-4A receiver has 100 watts per channel of clean power that will make you think your Forte's are a completely different speaker. The Nakamichi TA-3A is 60 watts per channel and could be bought for $300 or less, but swing for the 4A if you can. My sisters husband owned a 3A since new, and I had a TA-4A since new that I sold my sister with the Quartets that I bought new. Now they have both models still. When new, I paid $1100 for the Quartets of the showroom floor, and the Nakamichi TA-4A was$1,250, bought same place, same time.

Roger

I will check out the Nakamichi online. Luckily I only spent $35 on the Kenwood via CL, I'm sure I could get at least that much back. Would I need/ and or benefit greatly from a preamp with the recievers you guys are mentioning? I'm sorry I am not very informed about this stuff, it really makes me appreciate when there are people willing to help!

theclipper,

I just posted a link to a Nakamichi TA-4A. It was the only one presently on ebay and ends in 1 hour!! You would not need a pre-amp with this unit, and it would be an excellent choice. At least click on the ad and read about it.

Roger

eBay
ltCurve.gif An eBay member wants to show you this item rtCurve.gif
Hi, I saw this item on eBay and thought you might be interested.

s.gif
Current price:
$273.50
End time: Aug-04-08 19:24:05 PDT
Add to watch list | See similar items
Check out this item
s.gif
btnShowMe.gif

Learn More to protect yourself from spoof (fake) emails.

This email sent through the eBay platform from a sender who thinks you are likely to be interested in this information. eBay takes no liability for sending this email or its content.

You can report this message as unsolicited (spam/spoof) email.

Copyright © 2008 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc. eBay Inc. is located at 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125.
forums

Thanks for the link, I just checked it out. It sounds like it would be pretty great. Do these come up on ebay very often? I have never heard of them before until now. Would this be a major step up from one of the HK's sonically? I don't have a trained ear yet so I am just a little nervous that I won't be able to actually detect the difference of a quality amp compared to my Kenwood. Its just a tough decision on this since it ends so quickly. Also, I don't need anything super super loud. I would much rather it be nice and clear.

the clipper,

Every 3 or 4 weeks I would say, but that one looks real nice, and the seller has super feedback. I will try to put some brands of the era together to give you an idea of price groupings although I think the pioneer of the day outperformed their monetary bracket:

Bracket 1) Fisher, Emerson, Radio Shack

Bracket 2) JVC, Technics, Pioneer, Kenwood

Bracket 3) NAD, Dennon, Harman Kardon (We are starting to get into the seperates at lower price levels here)

Bracket 4) Nakamichi, Bang & Olfsen, etc. These were the price prohibitive stuff of the day.

The TA-4A was the top of the hill in Stereo receiver, when surround sound was just hitting the market. That reciever has two sets of pre-amp outputs so you can run a second amp, or a pair. I ran the Nakamichi PA-7 at 200 watts per channel. That amp still brings $900 to $1000 in excellent shape. That receiver can be used as a pre-anp, but the receiver amplifier is excellent. If you read about the STASIS techknowlogy was a liscensed design copy from Nelson Pass. Please google Nelson Pass Labs as he makes ultra high end amps and $50,000 a pair speakers, so check out his stuff real quick and get back to me with any questions, concerns.

Roger

Thanks for the link, I just checked it out. It sounds like it would be pretty great. Do these come up on ebay very often? I have never heard of them before until now. Would this be a major step up from one of the HK's sonically? I don't have a trained ear yet so I am just a little nervous that I won't be able to actually detect the difference of a quality amp compared to my Kenwood. Its just a tough decision on this since it ends so quickly. Also, I don't need anything super super loud. I would much rather it be nice and clear.

You state you are new to this, but I assume since you could tell a difference in the way the Forte's sound from other speakers you have listened to in the past that you are not tone deaf. The margin between a Kenwood and Nakamichi is not a subyle thing with good speakers like your Forte's assuming all you drivers and croosovers are up to snuff, the differance should be obvious to you.

The Forte' in my opinion is more articulate in its sound than my Cornerhorns, the Cornerhorns have presence, but your speakers can bring out things you wont hear on other speakers if you have them up to spec.

Carver amps of that era were the wattage kings, read LOUD. The Nakamichis are as clean as anything I have ever heard, and that amp section in that receiver is cleaner than NAD seperates. Just make sure you have your Forte's in the long wall corners and adjust out from the corner for propper bass. After you have a good amplifier, then start saving to have you cross overs checked out, the caps can go bad, and Bob Crites on this forum can help with that.

Roger

Roger,

Thanks for going back and forth with me. And yeah, I could totally tell the difference in speakers. I previously had some Sony floorstanders, which I thought were decent. But wow, the Forte II's are head and shoulders better. That reassures me that this should be a substantial difference. Its just a lot of money to spend real quick, but if this is the way to go I want to do it. Is this an item that needs to be serviced very often, because I know nothing about soldering or tinkering unfortunately. Lastly, would you say it is worth the money to to take a step up from the HK models that many tout as sounding pretty good for this? Oh, lastly, do you think it will be a very big deal with not being able to use the remote since it does not come with this auction?

Thanks

Any other real nice vintage stuff around the same price range I should keep any eye out for? After nearly winning that auction I am more motivated than ever to get the better sound out of my speakers! My most immediate concern is getting a unit that will really work great with my Rega so I can get the most out of my vinyl since that is pretty much all I listen to.

Vintage receivers like the Harman Kardon H/K 430, 630, 730 and 930 all are excellent performers on Klipsch and come in way under budget,

I have to agree with Hifi Jim on these mentioned. I currently have a H/K 730 and it is great with my Cornwalls. Also look at the older Yamaha, I have a CR-1020, I believe that XX20 are the models that are the better ones. Also look at Marantz, I have a 2238B, and it sounds great. All three of these are receivers that have a Phono Out to connect your TT to and you don't need a Pre Amp for them. I purchased all three within the last year or so and I believe only the Marantz was over the limit that you have, but not by much.

James

Any other real nice vintage stuff around the same price range I should keep any eye out for? After nearly winning that auction I am more motivated than ever to get the better sound out of my speakers!

The clipper,

I bought that unit new in 1989, I sold it in perfect condition with a pair of perfect oiled oak Quartet speakers, a Nakamichi CD player, and a Cassette player to my sister at a "Family Only" price of $400 for everything in 2002 and she bitched at me because she had to have it serviced for a slight hum that was not there when she got it from me. That is the only time that unit ever had to be serviced since 1989 and it had still been hum free. I don't think her husband has ever had to service his. In my opinion, you will not get better sound from your Forte's without spending alot more than what we are talking about here than with the Nakamichi period. my home email is rgordon@watchtv.net feel free to email me, and I will notify you if I come across any more Nakamichi TA-4A receivers. There are still centers that specifically specialize in working on the old Nakamichi stuff.

Roger

Roger,

Thanks for going back and forth with me. And yeah, I could totally tell the difference in speakers. I previously had some Sony floorstanders, which I thought were decent. But wow, the Forte II's are head and shoulders better. That reassures me that this should be a substantial difference. Its just a lot of money to spend real quick, but if this is the way to go I want to do it. Is this an item that needs to be serviced very often, because I know nothing about soldering or tinkering unfortunately. Lastly, would you say it is worth the money to to take a step up from the HK models that many tout as sounding pretty good for this? Oh, lastly, do you think it will be a very big deal with not being able to use the remote since it does not come with this auction?

Thanks

theclipper,

All I can do here is start arguments with other that only have experience with the models they are familiar with. In my opinion, Marantz sounds good, but it colors the sound to something that alot like, just like tube amps do, they soften the sound but that is not correct to me. I have a friend who had LaScalas and Herisies at the same time I got my Nkamichi, and he had the very top flagship Yamaha stereo receiver at the same time as well, I believe it was called a 999 and all the LEDs were RED. I can tell you that was a very fine piece, but the Nakamichi was better, cleaner and has a much better vynl section. Yes, it sounds cleaner to me than Harmon Kardon. If you will look at that Nakamichi TA-4A it has a tone control on/off button. I always listened to it with the bass and trebble controls off. If your source is clean enough, you should not have to color the sound, that is my belief anyways. You are not the only one here that is not familiar with Nakamichi, as the stuff was dream gear for most, and many, even in the day would not have seen it outside a magazine such as Stereo Review.

Roger

Dam, I just got outbid. Hopefully one will show up again soon. Thats too bad, it seemed like a great unit.

$375 without the remote, I said they go arround $400, you should proxy bid high at the very end, I bid with less than 3 seconds left so nobody can react to my bid, but you have to have enough band width to do it with less than 3 seconds left. The band width pays for itself if you ebay much.

Roger