Would Greatly Appreciate Help Choosing An Amp

theclipper

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone looks for something different in the audio they like to listen to. I LOVE the tube sound and SS is only used for background listening, like when I am working in my shop.

Without hearing tubes, you don't really have much of an idea what they sound like. Yes you can trust us (and I am willing to bet that you will like the sound also) but you really need to hear for yourself.

Where are you located, perhaps there is a board member close to you that can help you out. I know I would for sure if you are anywhere near So Cal.

Contact NOS valves to see if he might have something in the pipeline. He rebuilds equipment and could offer something solid that you would not have any problems with. He does not have anything but some nice tuners for sale on his website at the moment.

This should sound great and it has had work done to it, but it is a hair more than your budget.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1223178480

This Scott is liked by many here on the Klipsch board

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1222968680

This is a refurbished home built amp that could be a good bargan.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1222282612

You might think about something like these but I have not heard them and can not speak as to their sound.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1223603665

or This

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1223560292 but it would need a phono preamp added.

I have never heard it but it is a new unit that is in your price range from a seller that has good feedback. You might want to give them a call just to talk.

Look at Audiogon.com there is some nice equipment for sale there. This is a buyers market at the moment so hold your horses and search for a good deal.

Take your time, I know you want great sound NOW but taking your time will be rewarded.

Good luck!

Everyone looks for something different in the audio they like to listen to. I LOVE the tube sound and SS is only used for background listening, like when I am working in my shop.

Without hearing tubes, you don't really have much of an idea what they sound like. Yes you can trust us (and I am willing to bet that you will like the sound also) but you really need to hear for yourself.

Where are you located, perhaps there is a board member close to you that can help you out. I know I would for sure if you are anywhere near So Cal.

Contact NOS valves to see if he might have something in the pipeline. He rebuilds equipment and could offer something solid that you would not have any problems with. He does not have anything but some nice tuners for sale on his website at the moment.

This should sound great and it has had work done to it, but it is a hair more than your budget.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1223178480

This Scott is liked by many here on the Klipsch board

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1222968680

This is a refurbished home built amp that could be a good bargan.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1222282612

You might think about something like these but I have not heard them and can not speak as to their sound.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1223603665

or This

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1223560292 but it would need a phono preamp added.

I have never heard it but it is a new unit that is in your price range from a seller that has good feedback. You might want to give them a call just to talk.

Look at Audiogon.com there is some nice equipment for sale there. This is a buyers market at the moment so hold your horses and search for a good deal.

Take your time, I know you want great sound NOW but taking your time will be rewarded.

Good luck!

Hey Cal,

I really appreciate all your feedback. I will check out the links you have provided. I live in Seattle, WA currently. It seems like there can be alot of good stuff on craigslist around here. But thanks again for the links, I'll check 'em out. One other thing, how do I get ahold of NOS valves?

Have to admit that I have not read every post here so I am not really clear on your budget. But if you can swing it the amp that Dean is selling in the garage sale section would be a terrific match for any heritage speaker.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/107936.aspx

Yes would need a preamp.

Josh

He also mentioned vinyl, and the Audible Illusions Modulas 3 I'm also selling is said to have one of the best sounding phono sections you can get your hands on. The Crown D45 and the M3 together are a magical combination -- very tough to beat unless you have some seriously deep pockets.

I am no expert on Fishers but I believe that the 800c is virtually the same as the 500c. The difference being that the 800c has an AM tuner. The 500c is only FM.

I have owned a few 400c which is basically a lower power version of the 500c. They are very very nice units. I would say they sound a little on the lush side in comparison to say a Scott 299. Be aware that this unit will probably need some work now or sometime in the near future if you want it sound as good as it can.

Josh

Tell you what, I have a Fisher 400 that needs tubes and caps. I retired it when the caps started to go bad and I used some of the amps tubes (output and a few of the signal tubes, tuner tubes are all there..... I think) in other amps. It has been sitting on my shelf for a few years and I will never get around to getting it fixed. I will GIVE it to you for shipping (I would welcome the shelf space!). I could send it to Craig (instead of you to save shipping) and you pay him to go through it (I am guessing here) you will likely be out of the deal under the $500 mark you are shooting for with a rebuilt unit. The looks of it is about a 6.5 to a 7, some scratches (not bad) and missing brass caps on the knobs (common) Let me know what you think. Contact Craig first to have him give you a ball park on the unit.

Tell you what, I have a Fisher 400 that needs tubes and caps. I retired it when the caps started to go bad and I used some of the amps tubes (output and a few of the signal tubes, tuner tubes are all there..... I think) in other amps. It has been sitting on my shelf for a few years and I will never get around to getting it fixed. I will GIVE it to you for shipping (I would welcome the shelf space!). I could send it to Craig (instead of you to save shipping) and you pay him to go through it (I am guessing here) you will likely be out of the deal under the $500 mark you are shooting for with a rebuilt unit. The looks of it is about a 6.5 to a 7, some scratches (not bad) and missing brass caps on the knobs (common) Let me know what you think. Contact Craig first to have him give you a ball park on the unit.

That's a sweet offer. Tough to beat it. You will see folks saying that an older tube unit has recently been serviced. In my experience that means virtually nothing. What these vintage pieces need is to be recapped not just serviced those are two completely different things. Additionally Craig uses top quality parts which makes a huge difference. When he is done they soulnd better than they did when they were brand new.

Josh

Wow is all I can say. That is incredibly nice of you. What a great community this is. I will email Craig about this and see what he has to say. Hopefully he will be able to do this. Thanks so much Cal.

Sure, no problem. I think I paid $225 for it and enjoyed it for about 6 months on my Fort'es before the caps started going bad, then on the shelf it went.

Rebuilt, it will sound SOOOOO much better than anything you can get for the same money but beware, as the crack dealer said to the newbe, Here you go, just try it for free, if you don't like it, you don't have to buy any more.......Tubes and crack once you taste them, more is never enough!! insert evil laugh HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA[:|][;)][:D]

Can I have your Rega Plannar 3 ??? [:D]

that is very gracious of you Cal...a true gentleman

thats going to be very nice once Craig gets done with it!

Sure, no problem. I think I paid $225 for it and enjoyed it for about 6 months on my Fort'es before the caps started going bad, then on the shelf it went.

Rebuilt, it will sound SOOOOO much better than anything you can get for the same money but beware, as the crack dealer said to the newbe, Here you go, just try it for free, if you don't like it, you don't have to buy any more.......Tubes and crack once you taste them, more is never enough!! insert evil laugh HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAIndifferentWinkBig Smile

Haha, I am starting to get the sense that this is very true. I am very excited to hear how much better my Fortes will sound with that unit. How should we work out the logistics of this? I can either paypal you or send you a check or whatever. Just let me know what is best for you.

Thanks again!

You DID check with Craig so you have some idea of what you are getting into $ wise, RIGHT???

I do expect it to be reasonable but reasonable to me, might be a little over budget for you. Just checking.

If it is a go, I will pack it and ship to Craig and will PM or email you the true, actual cost. Paypal, check, cash, first born male child are all good, well that first born thing might need to be re-thought, I am just sending off MY first born (and ONLY) to the Navy this Dec and the costs involved to get him to this point may put YOUR firstborn out of reach for me $ wise[:P]

You DID check with Craig so you have some idea of what you are getting into $ wise, RIGHT???

I do expect it to be reasonable but reasonable to me, might be a little over budget for you. Just checking.

If it is a go, I will pack it and ship to Craig and will PM or email you the true, actual cost. Paypal, check, cash, first born male child are all good, well that first born thing might need to be re-thought, I am just sending off MY first born (and ONLY) to the Navy this Dec and the costs involved to get him to this point may put YOUR firstborn out of reach for me $ wiseStick out tongue

Yes I did run it by Craig and it sounds like something that will definitely be doable. I think all systems are go at this point! Also, will I need a preamp to make vinyl sound really good, or will this receiver sound good enough on its own? I only ask since vinyl is about all I listen to.

Thanks Cal!

This receiver does have a phono section which includes a phono pre-amp so you are good to go, right off the bat. Some say that the phono section is fair others say they like it a lot. At a later date, you could add an outboard phono pre-amp and route it in through the aux inputs if you so desire.

I am waiting on a reply email from Craig but I will box the receiver and get it ready to ship.

Now the long wait for "new" gear to arrive starts, it will be worth the wait, trust me.

After looking at writeups on this receiver again for the first time in a LONG time, I am a little sorry to see her go but I really don't have a use for her and if she will get your toes tapping, so much the better!

This receiver does have a phono section which includes a phono pre-amp so you are good to go, right off the bat. Some say that the phono section is fair others say they like it a lot. At a later date, you could add an outboard phono pre-amp and route it in through the aux inputs if you so desire.

I am waiting on a reply email from Craig but I will box the receiver and get it ready to ship.

Now the long wait for "new" gear to arrive starts, it will be worth the wait, trust me.

After looking at writeups on this receiver again for the first time in a LONG time, I am a little sorry to see her go but I really don't have a use for her and if she will get your toes tapping, so much the better!

Thanks Cal, I will try to wait as patiently as possible, but it is going to be tough. My excitement is through the roof right now! I really can't express how much I appreciate this!