Yamaha CR-2020

thefluffy

CA=power amp

CT= tuner

CR= receiver

Great gear from those years, I have a CA 600 and a CT 400 that I still fire up every now and then. Bought them new in 1977 or was that 1976??? $400 for the amp, $200 for the tuner, $600 for a Tandberg 3500X Reel to Reel and $ 340 for a Beogram 1600 TT, prices are from memory but are deemed to be accurate.Yamaha was pretty new to high end audio at that time, I don't know how long they had been selling gear before that but not long if I remember right, Ahh the days of the stereo wars, great gear, good tunes, beer, hard booze ....... Wink

I also have a CA-600 + the CT-600, both very capable units. mine are used all the time in our kitchen/diner and paired up to Yamaha NS-690 speakers (same as NS-1000's without the beryllium tweeter). To me this series is some of the classiest looking gear from that era. Marantz and Pioneer have the flash and bling awards sown-up, but Yamaha takes it for understated elegance, and they give up nothing in the performance dept.

well pulled it out (the CR-1020) and hooked it up to a couple of Polk R15 speakers I had sitting around. Forgot how heavy the CR-1020 is. it still sound good. used it for it's tuner to listen to FM in the basement. this unit does have a good tuner built into it. took pics of it, manual and brochure. will post these soon.

• 10 months later...

Ah, I remember those. I remember the loudness control, a very nice feature but seldom seen today.

Thanx, Russ

I use one on a regular basis in a third room. You are right the loudness control is an excellent feature. Much more efficient that a loudness switch.

I have a CR-2020 and a CA-1010 that I have used with Klipschorns and Fortes, an excellent match for classic Klipsch stuff. The power specs on these units must be a bit on the conservative side because I can't turn the volume knob to 3 and stay in the same room. The CA-1010 has a cool feature that allows you to run it in class A only. I prefer the sound of tubes with the horns but have a AB switch if I want to use the Yamaha stuff for more robust bass.