My Photography - Thoughts?

justin_tx_16

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another rule-of-thirds perspective. Feel the tension created in the scene by the offset sippy cup? Yet, the scene remains balanced because the offset cup provides an "anchor" that keeps the eye from being led out of the scene by the brick's lines and the distant view down the street to the right. I knealt to bring the camera down to her sightline. It makes the porch and it steps look so much larger and just how Katie must see them. This is why everything always looked bigger when you were a kid.

post-10177-13819410647234_thumb.jpg

Nice work FB, is the older woman a relative or someone you know? That's a very powerful shot, it reminds me of the woman in the dust bowl shot during the depression.

You would be referring to Dorothea Lange's Life Magazine photo of the woman at a migrant worker camp. Lange was of the "photography should be used for social change" school of thought. It turns out she posed that woman several times for the best image, then cited various inaccuracies about the woman's situation (she was not as helpless and hopeless as she was portrayed). Lange was apparently notorious for ignoring model releases.

Conclusion: always get a model release from human photo subjects. Publishers, and even some art shows, will not accept people shots w/o releases.

Nice work FB, is the older woman a relative or someone you know? That's a very powerful shot, it reminds me of the woman in the dust bowl shot during the depression.

Actually that is my mother in law.......she is Swiss/German and very stoic, even thought she has has a very hard life she never shows it, always a big genuine smile and a nice words of encouragement.

Last xmas we were all together and were reminiscing about family/the old days and she was recalling her life in Switzerland and how she was the only one of 11 brothers and sisters left.......it was getting late and she let her guard down for just a minute and was lost in thought.....I could only imagine the pain that was on her mind...and of course I had he trusty 70-200 to capture it from across the room...5 seconds later and I would have missed it........

Thanks for that explanation and the photo. Like my image of the father and daughter, this illustrates how fleeting images can be. The true beauty of photography is that we can freeze moments in time to be studied and treasured. My motto is 'Capture the Moment' and a truly great photographer can do just that. I hope your family realizes the value of the depth of that image. You can FEEL her thinking, it's a beautiful, truthful image of your mother in law.

Leading lines in Glenn's 'Katie on the steps' and the dynamic diagonals of FB's 'dogs and ice' show how the photographer's perspective can add to the composition by using form and line.

It's not enough to have a great subject, fantastic lighting and top equipment. The tough part that is to be learned is using composition to take your viewer's eye where you want them to go, to portray motion and emotion.

Justin, thanks for your initial post to allow us to revisit our art here. Please consider this an open discussion of photography and not critique of your work per se. Think of this as tips from some old timers who have had a few thousand rolls of film fly through their Nikons and Canons.

here I've used the tungsten modeling lamp from a Lumidyne battery operated flash (on a stand), the very edge of the light beam is the highest quality light and has skimmed across the table floral arrangement and into the background to add texture and depth. Probably 1/4 second at f 8 exposure tungsten film 50mm Hassie- no photoshop

post-10755-13819410655098_thumb.jpg

Justin, thanks for your initial post to allow us to revisit our art here. Please consider this an open discussion of photography and not critique of your work per se. Think of this as tips from some old timers who have had a few thousand rolls of film fly through their Nikons and Canons.

Justin: Michael is 100% correct. We're not brow-beating you here. We're simply sharing the experience with you. Soon, you'll have plenty of your own stories to share along with your photos. It's also fun for us to look back at what we've done in the past; photos are a walk through someone's life for sure!

customsteve01: Yes, that is a rule-of-thirds shot. Nice job! You mentioned using a cheap digital camera: Equipment dosen't always matter as much as subject composition and light. Without those elements there would be no picture to capture. However, the best equipment in the hands of a master like Colter just shows us what can really be accomplished. There are so many different layers of illumination in Colter's tungsten photo of the wedding dinner table setting. The man truly knows what he's doing! -Glenn

Steve: Have you looked very carefully at the boat in your photo? LOL

post-10177-13819410665072_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

I've put up a photography site to kinda showcase some of my work and get an override to an advance photo program at my university. If you'd like to see some of my pics, check it out. http://piczarphoto.com

To view all the pics, click the "all photos" link on the top right

Thanks, comments welcome :)

Hey Justin!

Good to hear from you [:)]

Those are very nice shots indeed....