Which Klipsch speaker (new of used) is best for playing classic rock??

Tom80112

What kind of amplification are you running?

How much power are you using to push your speakers?

I like the Chorus 1 or 2 but they definitely are NOT a small speaker nor is the Forte 1 or 2. Size is relevant.

The Chorus 2 seems to shine on the bottom end with a bit more volume than most listen to for average listening.

Forte 2 is a bit better in that respect.

RF-7 is a good speaker and size compromise isn't bad but they like power also. They're fine without some monster pro amp running them but a strong amp will "wake them up"

Since you personally don't like to use a sub (I'm in agreement) you may not like the sound of the rear passives on the sealed cabinet systems. My apartment room layout did NOT like passives. I had an open rear on one speaker side and it was flat sounding compared to the other side. To me front ported speakers are much easier placements.

My house had hardwood flooring and high ceilings with glass 180 degrees behind the speakers. With some, actually a of lot help from a forum buddy MAS (R.I.P) I was able to sound treatment the room for good (decent) sound. A two way speaker seemed much clearer in that room than any three way I tried in it. I actually ended up using Altec Valencias in it when finished. Not a small speaker either.

As always, if you're lucky enough to be close enough to some kind souls that would demo different options for you it would give better answers to your listening preferences.

More info will give you more input too.

Since you're also going to use them for a 2 ch HT I'd go as big as I possible could.

Compromises suck eh?

If a $500 figure is in your area I believe I'd have to choose the Forte 1 first and then the Forte 2. It would be easier to find them in that price range if you're lucky and/or patient.

Your money, ears, preferences.

Harry

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tom:

I do not agree that your room is too small for RF-7s. I know this because our HT is 10.5' wide and 19' deep with a 7' ceiling. Our front row seats are between 9 and 10 feet back from the front array. We have RF-7s in front R& L duties and an RC-7 for the center. We use RS-7s for sides and RCW-5 in-walls for rears along with an RSW-15 sub. I understand you have an aversion to subs and I respect your opinion. In the 4 years I have used the RSW-15, at no time has it ever sounded as you described: "always sound loose and rumbly". Quality design and manufacturing coupled with proper placement and adjustment helps to ensure this doesn't happen. Our sub continues to sound tight, accurate and never boomy or over-pronounced. It only works when it is supposed to and it's near impossible to tell if the bass is coming from the RF-7s or the sub as they are so well coupled. But if you simply will not accept a sub, that is completely your call and I respect that.

At any rate, we have a cement floor with resilient vinyl floor tile over it and an absorptive ceiling. The room, in my opinion, sounds awesome. I have had many Klipsch members over to audition our room and the comments have all been glowing up till now. I listen to all types of music on CD, DVD-A, SACD and vinyl and one of my favorite types happens to be classic rock. The RF-7s have never disappointed me. But your own ears need to be the judge. If you ever visit near the suburban Detroit, Michigan area, come-on over and give our system a listen if you wish. I don't think you'll be disappointed. -Glenn

post-10177-13819410710972_thumb.jpg

I must echo that your room is not too small for any of the

speakers mentioned here. My 2 ch room is only 11 x 11 with an 8 ceiling and I

have Cornwall

2s in there and they sound awesome. My HT has Fort'e1s (and they do sound just

great, I think the 1 vs. 2 debate is arguing over fly specks/ pepper) and that

room is 12 x 18 x 8 and the sound is incredible. For rock, most here would say Fort’es

and I agree, they were my first Klipsch speakers and they were AWESOME for Rock!

You appear to have your mind made up on Fortes. While I love Fortes and they do classic rock pretty well, you would be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't listen to and consider RF-7s, KLF-20s, or KLF-30s. I also agree with Colter's comments about CFs, but they are hard to find.....

Carl.

I will probably just buy a used pair of Forte 1s. I read on audioasylum that the forte series1

was the best sounding of the 4 choices: Forte 1, Forte 2, Chorus 1, Chorus 2. I see forte 1s

forsale all the time for about $500 a pair..

In general, how do the reference series sound different from the Forte 1s?

Thanks...

I have heard all the speakers mentioned and own most of them. I am not sure what ranking Audioasylum gave the above mentioned speakers but they are correct with the Forte at least. My rankings follow:

1) Forte

1.5) Chorus II

2) KLF-20

3) RF-7

4) KLF-30

5) Forte II

6) Chorus

Since you have a hardwood floor I would probably pass on the RF-7 or RF-5, they seem too bright to me in a live room, carpet and lots of furniture and they sing.

Also, an reports of the Forte II being better than the Forte because of the tractrix horn are simply not true. I believe the Forte II could be made better with proper crossover but in stock form the Forte is better balanced.

Sometimes some prefer Heritage and some the Reference family. FWIW, I'm a long-standing Heritage guy who prefers Heritage because I feel that the whole panoply of musical instruments has a truer sound on those classic 3-ways.

Also FWIW, I have an 11'-wide living/listening room with my K-horn pair across that short wall (I don't have much choice), but I don't feel that even K-horns are too big for the room. Of course, K's tuck back into their corners and take up less usable floor space than the others. But in no way, IMO, is their sound somehow too big for the room.

Larry

Me come in here already decided? How is that? My first note was asking about the RF7 vs RF5 based upon my room size and then everyone here turned me on to the Forte and Chorus as being better speakers for Rock music so I started reading up on those. If anything I have been open minded. (Except that I don't want massive sized speakers like the Cornwall or LaScala.... But I do appreciate everyone's advice...

Sometimes some prefer Heritage and some the Reference family. Myself, I'm a long-standing Heritage guy who prefers Heritage because I feel that the whole panoply of musical instruments has a truer sound on those classic 3-ways.

I have an 11'-wide living/listening room with my K-horn pair across that short wall (while the room is "kind-of" 18' long, entryways and stairs make the other end unusable, so I don't have much choice). I don't feel that even K-horns are too big for the room. Of course, K's tuck back into their corners and take up less usable floor space than the others. But in no way, IMO, is their sound somehow too big for the room.

Larry

Surely, you are not suggesting that he consider Khorns for the best "classical rock speakers," are you?

Because as much as I love Khorns, they do not belong on that list..........At least without extreme modifications anyway.....[:D][:$]

Carl.

I can't add any more speaker suggestions that haven't already been referenced but I can give you my .02 worth based on my experiences.

Like you, my favorite genre of music is Classic Rock and IMHO, the KLF-30's of the Legend series would get my vote.

I'll try to explain how I arrived at this conclusion. The KLF 30's are very forgiving if the source material is not up to snuff, which is often the case in Classic Rock CD's that I own. I have several CD's that became unbearable to listen to when played through my K-Horns and Belles, with the Cornwalls doing a better job of it, but no where near the KLF 30's.

In regards to the Forte and Chorus lines, I don't have enough listening time with these series of Klipsch speakers so I do trust the others' opinions on their capabilities.

Hey..They (Klipsch) are all good, but in some cases and situations, some are better than others.

Thanks

JJ

Hi Tom,

I'm using a pair of Chorus (first generation) in a room about the size you've described. I love them for classic rock. I was listening to Sticky Fingers on them the other day and Mick and the Boys never sounded better! One thing though, you've got to like the direct no b.s. sound of horns because these big cabs sound best when you let them open up a bit in the higher volumes. I like it because it reminds me of live concert sound but they can blow you out a little at times. Some on the board suggest that Klipsch horns only live up to their true potential when used with tube amplifiers. $350 to $700 for a pair of used Chorus is fair depending on condition. Then have Bob Crites do a rebuild on the crossover capacitors. I'm about to send mine off to him. He's BEC on the board. Klipsch cabs like the Chorus have an old school big hifi sound to them. I love it!

Surely, you are not suggesting that he consider Khorns for the best "classical rock speakers," are you?

Because as much as I love Khorns, they do not belong on that list..........At least without extreme modifications anyway.....Big SmileEmbarrassed

No -- my points were (1) I myself prefer Heritage for the reason given, FWIW (I'm adding "FWIW" in my post to make it clearer), and (2) I don't feel that even K-horns are too big for my room (again FWIW). While I have no idea what a classic rock speaker sounds like since I'm a classical buff, I have no doubt that my K-horns would sound better in a larger room that gives them more room to breathe and fully launch their sound waves.

Ok friends.. I have read and pondered for a few days and I have decided to buy 2 used sets and re-sell the set that comes in second place. I will be watching audiogon and the garage forum on this site for:

1) a pair of RF-7s in Cherry

2) a pair of Forte Series 1 in Walnut

If anyone know of any other online sites I should watch, please let me know..

Thanks again for all the help and advice!! [Y]

Tom

As a Forte II owner, let me put in my $0.02.

Firstly, the Fortes are not a small speaker by any stretch of the imagination. The Heresys look like large bookshelf speakers by comparison, and in reality, that's basically what they are. The foreseeable problem I might see with you getting the fortes is that they are very revealing. Don't get me wrong, I love mine, it's just that I find every once in a while, I play a recording that just sounds like total crap because that's how it was recorded or encoded. if you play low quality MP3's through these, you'll hear it.

That's all for now... more later.

The foreseeable problem I might see with you getting the fortes is that they are very revealing. Don't get me wrong, I love mine, it's just that I find every once in a while, I play a recording that just sounds like total crap because that's how it was recorded or encoded. if you play low quality MP3's through these, you'ii hear it. That's all for now... more later.

Agreed. I like to start with the speakers that I enjoy and then build associated equipment around them to make them shine. With my Chorus II's I have had gear that alot of folks praise but just didnt work for me. Thin and bright sounding with very little bass. But with the right synergy between equipment and speakers its awesome. I also find the source to be high up on the list of importance.